Regarding Sweetums

That Announcer

Reaction score
I was always confused about the operation of Sweetums. I know that characters like Pa and Ma Gorg were operated via a combination of body-suits and radio controlled mouths and eyes, but their mouths always seemed a little bit more "jerky" than Sweetums's mouth. Also, I understand that Hunt and John Henson are actually inside Sweetums, whereas Pa Gorg had a radio controlled mouth operated by the person who was doing the voice and NOT the guy who was in the suit. So does Sweetums have a radio controlled mouth, or possibly a rod-operated one? An answer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
thatannouncer said:
I was always confused about the operation of Sweetums. I know that characters like Pa and Ma Gorg were operated via a combination of body-suits and radio controlled mouths and eyes, but their mouths always seemed a little bit more "jerky" than Sweetums's mouth. Also, I understand that Hunt and John Henson are actually inside Sweetums, whereas Pa Gorg had a radio controlled mouth operated by the person who was doing the voice and NOT the guy who was in the suit. So does Sweetums have a radio controlled mouth, or possibly a rod-operated one? An answer would be much appreciated. Thanks!
From observation, it seems that Sweetums mouth was operated by the right hand, while the left was the left arm. I notice whenever Sweetums mouth is moving, his right arm is usually limp, with no movement. But when called for, he can switch his right arm into the right arm of Sweetums for dance routines.

I noticed this especially during his duet with Robin on TMS for the "We Got Each Other" number from the John Cleese episode.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
A very noteworthy Muppeteer actually discussed (among other things) some of the working mechanics of Sweetums starting in the Frog Prince in a fascinating thread here at MC called: The International Muppet Show. A must read for true fans.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
From observation, it seems that Sweetums mouth was operated by the right hand, while the left was the left arm. I notice whenever Sweetums mouth is moving, his right arm is usually limp, with no movement. But when called for, he can switch his right arm into the right arm of Sweetums for dance routines.

I noticed this especially during his duet with Robin on TMS for the "We Got Each Other" number from the John Cleese episode.
That's how I came to learn how Sweetums operated. In the finale, you notice that Sweetums has both his hands on John Cleese's shoulders, but he stays hidden behind John because his mouth can't move. Sweetums still moves about as though he's singing, but he makes sure to keep John in the way so no one can see his mouth. Funny stuff.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Funny, it was that song that I figured how he was opperated too...

Erine81981

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
That's how I came to learn how Sweetums operated. In the finale, you notice that Sweetums has both his hands on John Cleese's shoulders, but he stays hidden behind John because his mouth can't move. Sweetums still moves about as though he's singing, but he makes sure to keep John in the way so no one can see his mouth. Funny stuff.
Whats funny is that he looks like he's singing since hes moving around and his big mouth is moving because of his swaying that hes doing. I loved that skit and song when he Johns about to hit Sweetums and Sweetums moves the shield to where John hits it instead and then steps on Sweetums's foot. Its funny to watch Sweetums with guest stars.

Frogster

Reaction score
You know, I've always wondered that about Sweetums. It's cool to finally know how Richard Hunt did that.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
:confused:

I'm still confused on how Richard performs Sweetums' mouth. The only thing I could find about it was the springs, when the mouth wasn't in use.

But in the Cloris Leachman episode, his mouth definitely moves like a regular puppet.

How does his mouth move as a puppet? Does Richard perform the mouth like a regular puppet? And how much room does he have inside the head?

To compare, check out Big Bird. Given how tall Big Bird is, it's easy for Caroll to perform him; his arm's straight up in the air, but with Sweetums, his mouth is at eye level; Richard would have to bend his arm to get his hand to the Monster's mouth.

This is really confusing.

That Announcer

Reaction score
While I'm here, I'd like to ask the question that has baffled mankind for centuries:

Can the frog tap dance?
No, seriously, my question is thus: How did Kermit ride that bike in TMM?