Relaunching The Muppets: A New Plan

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
beaker said:
As someone like me who has nothing but utter contempt and disgust for all that is the Disney world order, I like this theory....except for the fact it would be Disney behind the idea to begin with.

to me Muppet Oz was the biggest embarassment in the Muppet's 50 years, so Im hoping it isnt too detremental to their future.
I respect your opinion that you don't like Disney or Oz. Your entitled to think that if you want. However, I disagree I think it was actually good. And thats ok that we disagree.

But I have to question what exactly is the agenda of these guys making such a ridiculous suggestion. If there intent was to make a light hearted poke at Disney. Ok, than. But to me, they were trying to portray these ideas as viable well thought out ideas for Disney and the muppets. What good would it do? Those that already dislike Disney will just laugh at them. And those that enjoyed it will think "hmm....if they are apologizing for this, maybe I shouldn't have liked it in the first place." That is what I have a problem with.

BEAR

Reaction score
Okay, I have a question...what is all of your beef with Disney??!!

Secondly, the Muppets don't think the Oz movie was bad so why would they make jokes about it

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Okay, I have a question...what is all of your beef with Disney??!!

Secondly, the Muppets don't think the Oz movie was bad so why would they make jokes about it
I don't have a beef with Disney at all. I think they are doing a good job. I admit the uncertainty made me nervous at first. But I'm quite pleased with everything I have seen up to this point.

I liked Oz too. The people who are saying how much they hated Oz are the same ones who made up their mind they were not going to like it before it even finished filming. Not that i'm saying there aren't some that gave it a chance first. But some of the most vocal ones are those people who didn't even give it a chance.

pppapazo

Reaction score
MWoO said:
There actually was a good deal of promotion on ABC and Disney channel. Disney ran 2 or 3 music videos from the movie as well as trailers. The muppets did commercials for 3 of ABC's top shows. They also did talk show spots, tv appearances, and all kindso f stuff to push the movie. They really did a lot of promotion for a TV movie.
"Revelations" had a lot of promotion for a TV movie. "Muppets' Wizard of Oz," had more than a fair amount, but I wouldn't call it heavily promoted unless I saw non-televised marketing for it: posters on subways, busses, billboards, etc.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
pppapazo said:
"Revelations" had a lot of promotion for a TV movie. "Muppets' Wizard of Oz," had more than a fair amount, but I wouldn't call it heavily promoted unless I saw non-televised marketing for it: posters on subways, busses, billboards, etc.
there wher newspaper articles, AD's on the back of Entertainment Weekley and Tv Guide, Pop-Ups on the internet and i saw a Bus Ad in NYC

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, ABC did pretty much screw up by putting the movie on a crappy night (opening Star Wars Weekend, and opposite the Daytime Emmys), but I usually take Jim's articles with a grain of salt. I don't know if the new C-E-O's lack of Muppet vision will really play the part here. And if he doesn't like them that much, you'd think he could sell it back to Henson, or something.

Personally, I'd like to see Frank return, but as a director or consultant. His passion seems to be gone. His chemestry with Steve Whitmire's Ernie seems a bit wooden. I mean, when he's Grover or Cookie Monster sepperately from other puppeteers, he seems back into it. Personally, I'd rather see young up and come-er Eric Jacobson than a Jaded Frank Oz perform Muppets anyday.

America's Next Muppet? I thought that idea died. I do not like the idea of an American Idol-esque Muppet Auditioning show in the least.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
beaker said:
to me Muppet Oz was the biggest embarassment in the Muppet's 50 years, so Im hoping it isnt too detremental to their future.
Beacker dude, can you tell me what you mean by this? :confused: You have to say... it was a heck of a lot better then KSY!!!

MWoO

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Personally, ABC did pretty much screw up by putting the movie on a crappy night (opening Star Wars Weekend, and opposite the Daytime Emmys), but I usually take Jim's articles with a grain of salt. I don't know if the new C-E-O's lack of Muppet vision will really play the part here. And if he doesn't like them that much, you'd think he could sell it back to Henson, or something.

Personally, I'd like to see Frank return, but as a director or consultant. His passion seems to be gone. His chemestry with Steve Whitmire's Ernie seems a bit wooden. I mean, when he's Grover or Cookie Monster sepperately from other puppeteers, he seems back into it. Personally, I'd rather see young up and come-er Eric Jacobson than a Jaded Frank Oz perform Muppets anyday.

America's Next Muppet? I thought that idea died. I do not like the idea of an American Idol-esque Muppet Auditioning show in the least.
I actually agree with you about Frank but i didn't want to say it for fear of backlash. He does fantastic on his own, but I don't think he likes Steve or maybe he thinks Steve should not have taken on Kermit or something, but they just don't work well together. Eric and Steve work much better together. And there is a new life that hasn;t been seen, probably since Jim Henson died. It's totally understandable. Imagine your friend dieing and then pretending someone else if that same friend. I don't even know how he could do it for as long as he did.

beaker

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
Beacker dude, can you tell me what you mean by this? :confused: You have to say... it was a heck of a lot better then KSY!!!
Not by much...I can't recall hardly any second of Oz where I was truly in awe like I am with even the most banal Muppet productions.

And yeah, Eric Jaccobson *is* Frank Oz now. What we do need back is writer Jerry Juhl...I mean, c'mon! At least get some good writers, the Muppets are not even floating at this point.

And glory glory be, how I'd love to see someday the Muppets liberated from Disney and put back at JHC. even if they were to go mighty underground, at least theyd be where they belong.