Remembering 9/11

Katzi428

Reaction score
I remember waking up that morning in a great mood.But then when I watched TV & hearing what happened my good mood disappeared quickly.
I prayed then & I pray now for those who lost someone during then. I also have extreme pride for the heroes of 9/11.One of them,mainly,my brother.
He was one of the last ones to rescue the last person in the WTC. And for this,I have new respect for him.
He's still alive today,and all of us look up to him.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's thoughts here. Five years ago was certainly one of the darkest days of all time. I feel sick inside every time I think about it. And like Vic, I also don't embrace the concept of all these movies about it and have not seen one. No matter how well done a movie about 911 is supposed to be and no matter how much praise it gets from the movie critics, I just don't have any inclination to see them. I know what happened (UNIMAGINABLE EVIL) and I have not nor will ever forget what happened.

Allow me to quote from the Reverend Billy Graham in a devotional for today:

'We are receiving a kingdom which can not be shaken.' - Hebrews 12:28

"This date of September 11th will be engraved on the memories everywhere for generations to come. On that terrible day when terrorists commandeered several passenger planes and killed thousands of innocent people in New York and Washington, we began to realize the true depths of evil in the human heart, and the uncertainty and fragility of life itself.
What lessons would God teach us from such an appalling tragedy? I confess I don't know the full answer. Many people, I know, for the first time faced the shallowness and emptiness of their lives, and turned to God as a result. Millions came together to pray.
But one lesson God would teach us all is this: Our only lasting hope is in Him. Life has always been uncertain; September 11th only made it clearer. Where will you turn for your security? Put your life in Christ's hands, for only He offers us 'a kingdom which can not be shaken'."

Gonzo14

Reaction score
it's hard to believe its been 5 years already

One of the people on Flight 93, Thomas Burnett Jr. is from my hometown, he went to my high school in the 80s, after 9/11 they retired his football jersey, and have a display for him in the hallway

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
We Must always keep they hero's in are hearts and know that life will never be the same but it is time to stop marking the tragedy every year

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I just hope we can learn a lesson from al this. and My heart goes out to everyone that had anything to do with it. and you're right Kemp, The marketing about a tragedy is ot of control.

I think people need to think about what the word patriotism really means, and it does not mean buying red, white and blue Gladwere plates either.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can vividly remember that I didn't even know about it, or feel the effects of it emotionally (in my case, fear) until WAAAAAAY after. I can tell you all I know is I was in class at art school, and it was cancelled for no given reason. I go to somewhere else for a bit, and I go to a KB toys and buy a The Mask vehical of some sort, and I noticed there was a news report on the radio at the store. I was oblivious to it. It was after 11 am. I go back to school and find out what happened. I wasn't shocked at all. I left (I was using computers at the time) at 4 P.M. 'round bout 6pm, I get panicky. That's it.

Trying hard not to be political, I just wish the government wouldn't keep doing stuff that plays into the terrorist's hands. Freedoms are lost, Partisan politcis splitting the nation savagely, and various other things I don't want to say.... it's like the terrorists were hoping this would happen.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I was there

As those of you who remember from my post on 9/11 last year I was there when it happened and my daughter Megan was conceived soon after. Rather than telling you it all over again I'll just post my poem on 9/11 here.

[The Demise of The Twins[/B]

One Hundred & Ten stories high
With a concourse of store after store
Five smaller buildings surrounded the core
I walked through the lobby that day
Little knowing it would soon be o’er
‘Cross from number 2, over to Fitch
Last tuna sandwich goes in the fridge
“A plane just hit ONE WORLD TRADE!”
“A What just hit Where???”
Radios are turned on, news is played
A wall behind me shakes
“The second one’s been hit! EVACUATE!!
Down the stairs and into the fray
Parts litter the street
A hand is at my feet
I call my wife to let her know I’m okay
Then move on so others can do the same
Down the streets to William
On line to call Mom
A rumble sounds “RUN!”
“What’s Happening???”
“THE TOWER’S FALLING!”
Like Lot I don’t look back
I just run from this senseless attack!
‘Round the corner to 100 John
Into a lounge where the T.V. is on
“OH MY GOD!!” Someone from the screen calls
As the SECOND TOWER falls!!
I borrow cell phones
Repeatedly calling home
At 12:00 some brave soul ventures out
And returns with food for the frightened crowd
One banana becomes my new lunch
Upon my wife’s tuna the rats will munch
At 2:00 an eerie calm sets in.
And I put my homecoming call in
Dust covers the streets like snow
As towards the Brooklyn Bridge I go
Stop to call my wife
Early prayer meeting at church! A sign of life!
I join the sorrowful mourning parade
As I make my way home this day
At the Brooklyn side water awaits
There is some good amidst this cruel hate
Miracle! The Brooklyn trains are running
A chance to rest from all my running
Drop my bag off at my house
Don’t know how I got out!!
Down to the church to pray
Thank God I made it through the day!!

The Day After

What once stood proud and tall
Now doesn’t stand at all
We thought it was built to last
Now it’s just a mass of twisted steel and glass
A hole in the skyline
A hole in my heart to match
As my breath I try to catch
Rescuers start to clean up
As my life I try to pick up
The mayor says we will rebuild
And rebuild we must
Something must rise from this dust
An attack on U.S.A.
An attack on N.Y.C.
But life will not cease
Terrorists can kill our bodies and leave them to rot
But our souls they cannot
A war we will fight
Soon Osama Bin Laden will run for his life
Destroy our buildings they can
But destroy our souls they can’t
WE WILL RECLAIM THIS LAND!![/CENTER]

Okay so the bolding and the centering didn't come through too well. If anybody wants a copy of it as it was written, PM me and I'll either e-mail or snail mail it to you. BTW for you punctuation freaks notice the exclamation points, they mimic the towers.​