Remembering Franz "Faz" Fazakas (1918-2013)

Slackbot

Reaction score
The man did amazing things. What can I say? Thanks, Faz! You'll be missed.

Heh, in the Dragon*Con Fraggle Rock panel Frith, Mullen, and Prell talked about Faz's work. One thing they mentioned was the radio-controlled background Fraggles Faz made. They were next to a fire station, and when there was an alarm it would broadcast on the frequency the puppet control used. The puppets would go berserk and they'd have to wait until the alarm was over to resume filming.

Often when I went around with my puppets, Mokey especially, people asked me if I built eye mechanisms. I replied that I was nowhere near that good; "My name is Kim, not Faz!" People knew who I was referring to. :smile:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
*Clears throat* I would like to say that I saw "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas and one of my favorite scenes was when Ma and her son were rowing the boat along the river. After I saw the special, I watched some extra features, and guess what? Faz was the one that radio-controlled the boat. I was like, "How did he do that?" He legacy of creating technology and special effects for the Muppets will live on. R.I.P Faz!

theSHE124

Reaction score
You're right, Slackbot! That was a funny moment they said at the place! "Oh boy, here it goes again!" :smile:

And for my 300th post, I would like to thank Faz for bringing his talents for such an incredible legacy to the Muppets and puppetry! Pause for applause, everybody! :shifty::busy::grr:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I did find a video of Traveling Matt and Cotterpin Doozer. I believe off-camera would be Fac when Cotterpin moves her ATV (which is a few times) and the voice was Kathy Mullen.
Okay, so it is video-taped, but I wish this was somewhere (when someone does a tribute of him).

Mike Quinn

Reaction score
I met Faz several times, but the only time I think I officially worked with him was when he was over for a short time on The Dark Crystal. I was building Podlings and Slaves hand puppets (100 in all) with Bobby Payne. Faz worked with Bobby on a few marionette Podlings for the village scene as I recall.

He was such a nice and fun guy and was so genuine and enthusiastic. He cared very much about his work. Definitely a key figure in the company. Who can forget Kermit riding his bike in The Muppet Movie?

It was an honor and a pleasure knowing you Faz - thank you for all you did!

rowlfy662

Reaction score
When I heard the news about this I was really saddened and shock Faz was a genius and really helped many of Jim's ideas become a reality like the Rat kitchen scence the Doozers ,the gorgs faces and even sweetums's eyebrow. R.I.P mr Fazakas another great muppet helper joining Jim, Richard, Jerry and many others in that great muppet heaven

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
When I heard the news about this I was really saddened and shock Faz was a genius and really helped many of Jim's ideas become a reality like the Rat kitchen scence the Doozers ,the gorgs faces and even sweetums's eyebrow. R.I.P mr Fazakas another great muppet helper joining Jim, Richard, Jerry and many others in that great muppet heaven
Yeah...