Remembering Jim Henson

Misskermie

Reaction score
Well...
I remember watching my first Muppet movie, and having a lot of my favorite characters be voiced by Jim. I always admired him... Then I watched everything else Jim voiced, and I really admired him from that point. When I found out he passed years before I was even born, I was devestated...
Jim did pass before I was born, but despite that, he has a special place in my heart, because I know he had a good heart, with wonderful intentions. He did what he wanted to do. He didn't give up... He created something I love, and hey, I really admire him for that.

R.I.P. Jim. We love and miss you very much.

ProboSowa

Reaction score
It'll always be a shame knowing how soon he went, but it'll always be happy to remember the eternal positive impact he left on the world. Never gonna forget you, Jim.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
When I think about this day, I finally cried realizing that this was the day Jim Henson passed away, 23 years ago. I was born a year later after Jim was gone. We also have our birthday on the same month (which is September). I used to have a tape called, "Sesame Street: A Jim Henson Celebration." The songs I first heard were "Rubber Duckie", Bein' Green and "I Wonder 'Bout the World Above."

Sadly, when I watched Kermit, Ernie, or even Guy Smiley. I had no idea who was down there and who was performing them.

Fraggle Rock was what sort of got me into the spirit of his magic. I stilled questioned myself, "Who and what was Convincing John?" and "Who is this mysterious creature?"

Christmas was my favorite holiday, because of Jim Henson and the Muppets.

As years passed, I stopped watching Muppet movies and specials and moved on to other things.

Finally, after I graduated from high school and started college, finally I realized who Jim Henson really was and I admired his effort and performances for his Muppet characters. He was laid-back like Rowlf, playful, shy, hard-working and found us the rainbow connection.

So, he was Kermit the Frog, Cantus, Dr. Teeth, the Swedish Chef (der Jim is okeyyey) my mock Swedish is so rusty, and Convincing John. So, no matter what season, I listen to his music even the Rainbow Connection.

R.I.P Jim!
For the lovers, the dreamers, and you! :smile:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I still remember feeling slighted because Sammy Davis, Jr. died the same day. A lot of news reports would have his cronies like Frank Sinatra and such sharing their memories, and Jim was lucky to get his life and legacy crammed into a 30-second soundbite. And the news reporter just shrugged, "Too bad."

Too bad for them. They don't know what they missed.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have to say this, I've been very touched by all the younger people who have been influenced so greatly by Jim even after he had passed. I think that is a true testimony to his life and his work. For me you younger fans who became Muppet fans after Jim had gone are an inspiration to me,and it tells me that the Muppets still live strong even though Jim was sadly taken away from them.

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
Gosh, 23 years...I was ten years old when I heard the news of Jim's passing and I can happily say that I grew up with the crazy cast of characters that he helped to invent and create.

According to my mom, I started watching Sesame Street at the age of nine months and stopped once I reached junior high (though there was that one day in high school I watched while doing laundry...). I clearly remember happily sitting in theaters, watching Follow That Bird and how, when I showed it to my friend's three year old, I still managed to cry at Big Bird's 'blue bird' song.

While I don't remember seeing TMM in theaters (though, again according to my mother, I've seen a ton of things when I was a baby), I have seen every Muppet movie except two in theaters, right as they came out. I'm actually surprised it took me so long to realize that the host of the Muppet Show was the same reporter on Sesame Street.

Obviously, the Jim Henson creations have been a part of my life since before I realized they were apart of my life. I learned how to count, spell, and Spanish (among others) thanks to Sesame Street and I'm sure my love of music, showtunes, and theater also started in part with thanks to the Muppets.

Jim was only the second celebrity that I ever cried about it (Lucille Ball was the second) upon learning about their death and if I remember right, I was still upset about it for the rest of the week. I guess in my ramblings, I don't know what to say. What do you say about someone who taught a generation and made them laugh at the same time?

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
I didn't prepare a tribute drawing for today, but I still thought I'd talk about a facet of Jim Henson that at the moment I find most intriguing about him.

As I was writing, a flood of Muppety memories that touch a rather sensitive nostalgic nerve came coming back (videos, audio tapes, etc.). Yesterday, for example, I was watching and re-watching "The Frog Prince," which has become my favorite of the Muppetland specials. I distinctly remember renting an 1980’s VHS copy and first watching it at my aunt’s house; that was about ten years ago. When I watch it now, I’m still enthralled with the characters and performances, but I’m also often analyzing how certain effects were achieved. (I’m still curious as to how exactly those Goshposh and Taminella walkabouts worked!)

Jim, besides being a wonderful performer, was as much of a technical pioneer as he was a trendsetter for quality family entertainment. His early specials may seem low-tech compared to today’s standards, but as Frank Oz has stated similarly, current generations don‘t realize just how “new” Jim‘s way of puppetry was back in 1971. Plus, he always kept pushing the bar, finding new ways of bringing his puppets to life with practically every new project.

What more can I say other than, Thank you Jim.
You will always be in my thoughts. :jim:

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
When I was in 7th grade, I cried for him. I did the exact same thing here today. I'm guessing that all of the Muppets, including the Electric Mayhem, miss him as much as I miss him. I made a box for my book report at school. He had a biography book. I made the box in delightful honor of the creator of the Muppets. Without Jim's work, the Muppets wouldn't even be here for us today.

Dear god, god bless all of our puppeteers....thank you Jim Henson, thank you.....
:smile: