Remembering Kermit Scott: Inspiration

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
Kermit Scott: Who knew? I don't think anybody really knew who the real inspiration for the famous frog, not even the muppeteer Steve Whitmire. I was just listening to the Muppet Cast, I heard that a man named "Kermit" and kinda said out loud, "Kermit is... dead?" I wasn't thinking, but the sheer thought of a guy named Kermit dying shocked me. Jim Henson's childhood buddy, Kermit Scott, the inspiration for the frog we all know and love is [gulp]dead.... We're all sad that both the creator and the inspiration are gone... But no worries... His creations, and his inspiration lives on. What do you think about this tragic loss?

Beakerballistic

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Dr. Kermit Scott - The Frog's Namesake

Kermit Scott, inspiration for Jim Henson's proto-Muppet, Kermit the Frog, dies at 71

By the Associated Press

June 16, 2008

LELAND, Miss. - Kermit Scott, the man believed to be the inspiration for Jim Henson's proto-Muppet, Kermit the Frog, has died. He was 71.

Scott's brother-in-law, Aaron Moss, said the retired philosophy professor who lived in Monroe, Va., died recently. He was 71.

Henson and Scott grew up as friends in Leland, a small Mississippi Delta town now home to a Muppets museum.

Family and friends said Scott shared his namesake's whimsical smile.

The Henson family moved away from Leland and the two lost touch. Scott went on to become a history professor at Yale, Purdue and Millsaps College, and was an advocate for the poor. He and his wife, Aadron, founded the Welfare Rights Organization and the food bank of Lafayette, Ind.