Rent

P

Princeton

First off, I knew absolutely nothing about this musical until I went to see Bewitched and the movie adaptation of Rent was one of the previews. I'm so excited to see this. I was unable to see Wicked while the original cast, but fortunately have the soundtrack and have absolutely fallen in love with Idina Menzel's singing voice! So, that's at least some initiative to see it, because the original Broadway cast will be in the movie and Menzel is one of them! So, does anyone else plan to see the movie or has seen it on Broadway and cares to chatter about it?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Rent is seriously my favorite musical of all time! I've seen it almost every time it comes to Minnesota and I can't wait to see the movie adaptation. Although I'm sure I'll still love the live version better. Anyway, I just can't put into words how great Rent is and if you've never seen it, I hope you all get the chance to see it someday.

Frogster

Reaction score
My friend Heather is going to Illinois to see Wicked. She loves Menzel.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I'm a Wicked fan meself, though I haven't seen either Wicked or Rent. But I CAn'T WAIT for the movie!!! I have the best of soundtrack and I listen to it every once in awhile I'm so excited!!

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I havent seen or heard Rent but should, It seems very popular. I have heard some songs from Wicked and they sound great.

unclematt

Reaction score
Huge Rent fan here. Have seen it ever time it has come to Chicago. I can not wait for the film version.

Jinx

Reaction score
I HATED Rent. I saw the national tour last fall, and 6 seconds into it I felt sorry for the actor playing Mark, whose voice was obviously trashed... was sad to learn that his was the best voice in the whole show.

The biggest problem I had with the show was it was such a lousy rip off of Puccini's La Boheme. Jonathan Larson would have done much better to use his substantial talent for a more original story, or at least a better adaptation. Basing his characters' names on those of the Puccini opera (i.e. Collins/Colline) only invites unfavorable comparison, and there's no way to match up. the one good song of the score, Seasons of Love, is really performed almosnt as a throw away, as entr'e acte for the second act.

I know lots of folks love it, and power to them, but for me it was just a hugely uninspiring evening...

unclematt

Reaction score
Jinx said:
I HATED Rent. I saw the national tour last fall, and 6 seconds into it I felt sorry for the actor playing Mark, whose voice was obviously trashed... was sad to learn that his was the best voice in the whole show.

The biggest problem I had with the show was it was such a lousy rip off of Puccini's La Boheme. Jonathan Larson would have done much better to use his substantial talent for a more original story, or at least a better adaptation. Basing his characters' names on those of the Puccini opera (i.e. Collins/Colline) only invites unfavorable comparison, and there's no way to match up. the one good song of the score, Seasons of Love, is really performed almosnt as a throw away, as entr'e acte for the second act.

I know lots of folks love it, and power to them, but for me it was just a hugely uninspiring evening...
It sounds to me like if you would have seen a better production you would have enjoyed it more.

Jinx

Reaction score
No, the poor production just made it less bearable. The problem still lies with the material, not so much the performance. I mean the whole thing with Angel coming back from the dead...puh-lease. It was a bad version of a story hung on the frame of a good story. And poorly at that!

It is in many ways similar to a bad film sequel. They try to duplicate the success of something by writing a "new" story on the old story's template and it is rarely if ever satisfying. It would have been netter to borrow some of the themes of the story without trying to directly parallel the story of La Boheme.

unclematt

Reaction score
Angel does not come bakck from the dead. That is his spirit