Reporter Writing About Adult Toy (Muppet Toy?) Collectors

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed. But I feel for the fate of humanity when our generation is gone...
Childhood was once about cartoons and super heroes... now it's about playing age inappropriate X-box games
Well, technically, although our generation had cartoons, superheroes, comics, and puppetry out the wazoo, our generation also ushered in said violent games such as Mortal Kombat. Heck, I played MK when I was 10. Thankfully, even at that young of age, I realized the difference in what's real and what's not. Unfortunately, as games got more and more interactive and more and more realistic, I fear that kids believe in what those games--and other media forms--do (i.e. some kid ended up doing something Naruto-related and ended up killing his younger sibling & who gets the blame for this action...not the neglectful parents, but Naruto...a foreign cartoon that was butchered like many dubbed animes are).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, technically, although our generation had cartoons, superheroes, comics, and puppetry out the wazoo, our generation also ushered in said violent games such as Mortal Kombat. Heck, I played MK when I was 10. Thankfully, even at that young of age, I realized the difference in what's real and what's not. Unfortunately, as games got more and more interactive and more and more realistic, I fear that kids believe in what those games--and other media forms--do (i.e. some kid ended up doing something Naruto-related and ended up killing his younger sibling & who gets the blame for this action...not the neglectful parents, but Naruto...a foreign cartoon that was butchered like many dubbed animes are).
There will always be children that are so stupid, they'll do anything they see on TV. I can only hope the stories of kids tying bath towels to their necks and jumping out the window, thinking they can fly like Superman, is no more than an urban legend.

But at least when kids were playing those games and doing that sort of stuff, they were watching cartoons. I can't believe I have to win the adoration of that focus group.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I can only hope the stories of kids tying bath towels to their necks and jumping out the window, thinking they can fly like Superman, is no more than an urban legend.
Hey, if 16 year old Mick Foley can leap off Danny Zucker's roof and practically crush his ribcage (as seen in "The Loved One" video that gave Foley his big break--so to speak--into pro wrestling), anything is possible.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'd rather not just give up on the next generation and just keep childhood as something in the past. For what it's worth I play with my friends children with my toy collections and show them FR and encourage imagination and fun :smile:. We have to make the difference we want to see in every little way we can, even by just being there. Show them that tv shows and facebook and peer pressure are not the last word in how you make up your mind about things. My parents taught me this well, and I will do everything I can until my last day, to pass that message on if nothing else :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
*applauds Becky's efforts* Well said and well done. There's hope for the future yet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I'm saying... when an X-box game says "Rated M for Mature" it shouldn't be given to someone 10 years old.

I can't really blame the kids. Mommy and Daddy of these suburban punks want to please them ever so much. They make Eric Cartman look like an angel. I wouldn't mind it, if the kids were asking for toys and cartoon stuff... but they're asking for their own entertainment systems and computers... they spend all day in front of it, and whine that their kids are out of shape and socailly backward....

If the direct next generation abandons the Barbie dolls lipsynching and pretending to act on TV, maybe we'll get some animator jobs back. No wonder why the only cartoons are made for adults now... they're the only one that appreciates someone's hard work. Unfortunately, they have to pile on gratuitous sex jokes to puff up the adult rating to also include drunken frat boys. I like Aqua Teen as much as the next guy... but I want to make MY own show. Not some frat boy humor...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed. Our beloved Muppets know how to straddle the line between childlike and adult-oriented, consdering we have things for the barely-learning tots (Sesame Street), a middle ground that's showing unity between all cultures by promoting world peace (Fraggle Rock), a variety show filled with irreverant, yet so-adult subtle humor (The Muppet Show), & a cartoon showcasing the benefit of having a true imaginative side (Muppet Babies).