Rest In Peace: Roscoe Lee Browne

muppetwriter

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/12/obit.browne.ap/index.html

One of the greatest and most respected actors and voice actors passed away yesterday at the age of 81, after a long battle with cancer. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Roscoe Lee Browne, but he was (and still is) an awesome actor.

He is best known for his work in voice acting, being the narrator from Babe, Francis from Oliver and Company, and Mr. Arrow in Treasure Planet.

Perhaps my most favorite of his voice acting roles is villainous Kingpin from the Spider-Man animated series of the 1990s.:wink:

You also might know him from the 70s Disney movie, The World's Greatest Athlete, or his many appearaneces on The Cosby Show.

Roscoe Lee Browne will always be one of the greatest actors in Hollywood. I for one admired him for his powerful, sophisticated voice and his way of appearing so dignified on screen. He will truly be missed.:cry:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
One of my favorite character actors. Sad to hear he passed on:cry:

Roscoe was a respected stage, film and TV actor. He appeared on numerous shows over the years, including All in the Family, Bonanza, Mannix, The Cosby Show, Cosby, Starsky & Hutch and many, many more.

On stage, he was noted for his work in Shakespeare, and played Polonius in Campbell Scott's Civil War-era version of Hamlet, a good made-for-TV adaptation that originally aired on the Hallmark Channel.

On film, one of Roscoe's most memorable roles was as a Harlem contact in Hitchcock's espionage thriller Topaz. Another great role was in The Cowboys with John Wayne, in which he plays a cook who takes a rowdy bunch of children under his wing.

As muppetwriter said, he also did extensive voice work. In fact, he can be currently heard in theatres as the narrator of Epic Movie.

Oh, BTW...did you know that if you look hard enough, you can spot Roscoe as one of the pirates in Muppet Treasure Island?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
More TV...

The Streets of San Francisco, Sanford & Son, 227, Magnum P.I., Maude, Soap, Good Times, and roles in the made-for-TV King (about Martin Luther King Jr.) and For Us the Living (the story of Medgar Evers).

Son of Enik

Reaction score
So sad to hear about the passing of another talented actor. I have a book and cassette read along from the original Star Wars, whch Browne narrated from 1977...my dad got it for me for my birthday (when I turned 4, LOL!!)
Mr. Browne also appeared on the Planet Of The Apes TV Series in an episode entitled, "Tomorrow's Tide", in which he plays the head Orangutan of a costal fishing village.
Rest In Peace and God bless Mr. Browne, you will be missed.

Princeton

Reaction score
More TV...

The Streets of San Francisco, Sanford & Son, 227, Magnum P.I., Maude, Soap, Good Times, and roles in the made-for-TV King (about Martin Luther King Jr.) and For Us the Living (the story of Medgar Evers).
Don't forget Will & Grace!