Return to Oz Gump Prototype

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey! I am not sure if this applies, but do you remember Return to Oz? It was one of my favorite movies! Anyways there is this cool Gump prototype for sale, check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150207934950

Remember him? How he was grumpy at the fact that Dorothy brought him to life....
Return to Oz, the interesting (actually more accurate Oz) film directed by master editor Walter Murch! I think that's the only film he directed. Any film school student knows and admires his legendary editing skills in "Apocalypse Now".

I wish this film had done better. People were expecting the MGM classic musical instead of this great fantasy film!

Love the Gump!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
That's a neat little piece of film memorabilia. I always liked Return to Oz. I watched it again for the first time in years recently, and it held up really well.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Return to Oz, the interesting (actually more accurate Oz) film directed by master editor Walter Murch! I think that's the only film he directed. Any film school student knows and admires his legendary editing skills in "Apocalypse Now".

I wish this film had done better. People were expecting the MGM classic musical instead of this great fantasy film!

Love the Gump!
Walter Murch also edited the sound in American Graffiti, one of the first American films to utilize an existing soundtrack of pop songs, something that is taken for granted today. The wall-to-wall songs in Graffiti are almost a character themselves.

Easy Rider in '69 was probably the first major American film to use rock songs of the day; Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets (1973, the same year as Graffiti) also made excellent use of rock from the 1950s and 1960s.

I'm pretty sure Return to Oz was the only film Murch directed to date; I like the look and style of the film, and the fact that it stuck closer to Baum's books.

The Gump, along with Jack Pumpkinhead, was always my favorite character.