Rick James dies at 56

McFraggle

Reaction score
This is sad. Rick was a very creative songwriter and musician who helped bring funk to the forefront. He was somewhat underrated as an artist because of his battles with drugs and other things he became something of a caricature of himself (See: Chappelle, Dave). Some of the younger members on the board may not know him as well, but he was a good artist who later turned into a good producer (see Eddie Murphy, et al) and his song "Superfreak"'s famous beat is probably more recognizable to most in "U Can't Touch This" by M.C. Hammer. Such a shame, to die at such a young age. RIP Rick.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
You can't live like he tried to if you've got serious health problems...a fast lifestyle only aggrivates them (apparently!). Too bad he fell for his own hype. I read how he felt he was becoming "Rick James" (the character he created for albums and stage) and it took him over, only to win in the end, I suppose.

He was a very funky dude, though!

McFraggle

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I read how he felt he was becoming "Rick James" (the character he created for albums and stage) and it took him over, only to win in the end, I suppose.
The sad thing is this happens to many stars. They get sucked up in their own hype. You can't live that hard of a life for that long and expect to live a long life.