Riding The Short bus a play by Aaron

Aaron

Reaction score
this is a work in progress it isn't finished and even i don't know how it ends please tell me what you think
Riding The Short Bus
Act 1 Prologue
A boy Jonathan Cook sits in his room on the floor looking deep in thought his eyes show a far away look as if he’s on some other planet.
Jonathan: (softly) My name is Jonathan Cook and I have cerebral palsey. I’m sure your asking yourself “what the heck is that?” most people are anyway, I can’t tell you what it is exactly my usual response to the question is “it sucks” that usually shuts people up I never get a chance to tell them why.
It sucks not only for physical reasons but romantic and social ones too say I’m talking to a pretty girl and all of the sudden I have a spastic moment and accidentally smack her now I don’t know about you but to me that doesn’t say “I’m the guy of your dreams” very well it gives the impression that you should keep about a foot away when talking to me. I didn’t use to care so much about it until people actually pointed out the fact that I was different you know you have the kid at school who’s mom probably gives him ten dollars every time he turns around so she doesn’t have to look at him who teases you to make himself feel better. Or the new kids who when trying to break the ice of conversation ask, “can you feel your legs?” That question has pretty much been the story of my life. The last 3 years anyway since I went into public school and started riding the short bus it wasn’t so bad especially once I met her (he smiles at the thought of her)
She’s defined the last year of my life I still remember when I met her that day at lunch (the lights fade out as he begins to remember)

Scene 1 One year earlier
Jonathan sits at his lunch table his wheelchair is to his right for easy access he in the midst of a conversation with his friend who sits in a wheelchair across from him (
Jonathan: Power wheelchair soccer (Laughs slightly) not my thing sorry
Billy: Dude you’re just lazy (pause) and that’s coming from me!
Jonathan: You’re darnright I’m lazy, and I’m proud of it too.
At that moment a tall thin blond girl walks by and smiles at Jonathan
Jonathan: I’d love to take her for a ride. (He smirks)
His friend dies laughing
Billy: She’ll probably be the one taking you for a ride, a bumpy one to rejection country!
Jonathan: Go to heck man. I’ll bet you 10 bucks I could get her number right now.
Friend: You’re on!
Jonathan climbs in his wheelchair and zips over to the girl’s table
Jonathan: (obviously nervous) Hi I’m Jonathan, may I ask your name (he smiles)
Andrea: It’s Andrea.
Jonathan: Well Andrea, I couldn’t help but notice how beautiful your smile was and had to come over here and let you know.
Jennifer: (blushing) Well thank you.
Jonathan: I’ve never seen you around here before.
Andrea: I just moved here from California.
Jonathan: Oh really? Well, I’d love to show you around town if you’d like.
Andrea: That would be great! Let me give you my number (she grabs her binder tears out a piece of paper and writes her number down) there you go
Jonathan: Great I’ll call you this weekend.
Jonathan returns to his table
Jonathan: (smiles at his friend) Pay up jerk.
Billy: Yeah well I still say all you’re going to get is a kick in the butt and not in a good way.
Jonathan: Hey you never know, just because I ride the short bus with the kids that drool and scream BLAH doesn’t mean I can’t woo the ladies. You’re too stuck on your condition bro you have to rise above it or it’ll kill you from the inside.
His friend shrugs and seems to drift away into his thoughts. (Blackout)
Scene 2
On the “short bus”
Jonathan sits in his wheelchair looking ready to shoot himself the watching antics of two mentally disabled kids. A bus attendant sits in the seat to his right attempting to keep the peace.
Kid 1: (imitates a dolphin sound)
Bus attendant: no noises on the school bus!
Kid 1: (laughs hysterically makes noise again)
Kid 2: :frown: assorted grunts and screams)
Jonathan looks to the audience and smiles breaking the fourth wall
Jonathan: This is better than Jerry Springer! Yeah I know what you are thinking I shouldn’t be finding humor in these kids misfortune but come on I have to keep my sanity somehow and laughter is the only way. And I know for fact that you want to laugh and I’m not mocking them I feel for them, I really do but even they know they’re funny (looks at Kid 1) don’t you buddy? (Smiles)
Anyway, I can’t believe I got Andrea’s number! Not that I’m goanna call tonight or anything got to stay true to the three day rule don’t want to show signs of weakness.
Kid 1; HONK (laughs again)
Jonathan (Shakes his head and sighs) it never ends. You know it’s really sad that they put kids like me on a bus like this by association. I mean shouldn’t they assess all of us on our mental capacity not our physical appearance? But, what do I know. I guess it’s doing me no good to complain, I’d spend more time trying to get off this bus then I would in school… it’s not worth it. Well, we’re almost to my house now so know I’ve got to try and find a place to hide my phone in my room so I don’t find it and try to call her. I’m not sure if I should tell Rose about this or not, she’s my personal assistant, knowing her she’ll spend the whole night telling me I should call, saying things like, “You know she’s sitting by the phone waiting for you to call.” And then I’ll call because I’m a sucker, so yeah…I’m not going to tell her. Of course, she’ll probably figure it out anyways, because I’ll be sitting there the whole time grinning like an idiot, who knows. Well this is my stop; I’m not going to call her, no way…(Lights fade out)

Scene 3
“Jonathan’s Room”

Jonathan sits on the floor with the phone in his hand; his hand is shaking a little. A girl with dirty blonde hair, his assistant Rose, sits on the bed above him giggling.
Jonathan: I can’t believe I’m going to call her.
Rose: Don’t be a baby; you know she’s sitting by the phone waiting for you to call her.
Jonathan: I can only hope, but don’t they always say leave them wanting more???
Rose: (Rolls her eyes) Idiot… she wouldn’t have given you her number if she didn’t want you to call.
Jonathan: I guess your right, but what if her mom answers the phone…or worse… her DAD! What am I supposed to say when he asks me what the heck I’m calling his daughter for??
Rose: You tell him that you just called to help her with her homework.
Jonathan: Oh I’ll help her with her homework all right…(he smirks)
Rose: Oh shut up and just call her already.
Jonathan: All right
(He picks up the piece of paper and dials the number…it rings twice…a female voice answers)
Andrea’s Mom: Hello
Jonathan: Hi Andrea how are you?
Andrea’s Mom: Um…no? This is her mother
Jonathan: Uh… oh… can I um…speak to Andrea please?
Andrea’s Mom: May I ask who’s calling?
Jonathan: This is Jonathan
Andrea’s Mom: Just a moment.
Andrea: Hello?
Jonathan: Hi!
Andrea: Hey what’s up?
Jonathan: (Stuttering a little) Nothing much, just hanging around.
Andrea: Yeah, me too, can you believe that science homework? I mean what is an igneous rock, and why do I care?
Jonathan: (Laughing a little more than he should) I know right?? So, what brings you here from California?
Andrea: My father is in the air force he gets transferred a lot.
Jonathan: Oh, that’s cool.
Andrea: Yeah I guess. So… can you feel your legs?
Jonathan: (sighs) yes, you know that’s the first question somebody will ask me all of the time.
Andrea: (sounding embarrassed) Oh…I’m sorry.
Jonathan: Its okay.
Andrea: Look, I know why you called me, and I’m really not looking to get into a relationship right now, I just got out of one.
Jonathan: (trying as hard as he can not to sound crushed) Oh…okay…my Mom’s calling me for dinner I have to go.
Andrea: Okay, bye.
Jonathan: Yeah, bye.
Jonathan hangs up the phone.
Rose: So what did she say???
Jonathan: Shut down.
Rose: What a brat… you can do way better anyways.
Jonathan: Easy for you to say. You’ve never even met the chick
Rose: Well you’ve met me and by now you should realize that I’m all knowing.
Jonathan: Well we should probably go eat dinner.
Rose: Tacos will make it all better!!!

Scene 4
Dinner Table
Jonathan is sitting in his usual seat at the table. His father sits across from him, and Rose is to his right.

Dad: How was your day at school today pretty boy (this is a nickname Jonathan has had to deal with since birth.)
Jonathan: (without looking up) Fine…
Dad: Did something happen, do you need your dad to go into school and beat someone up???
Jonathan: (sighs and rolls his eyes) No dad nothing really, it’s just this girl. She gave me her number, and then she shot me down.
Dad: Life’s a pain, and she probably is too.
Rose: My thoughts exactly, see Jonathan I told you I’m always right.
Jonathan: (chuckles) Yeah, I guess. (The lights dim on everyone but Jonathan) This is how it always goes I tell them my problem dad makes a joke and everyone moves on. No one really knows how much this hurts I really thought she liked me. Can it be possible that the fact that I’m in a wheelchair scared her off? Why does everything I do have to be ruined by this darncondition? No matter how much I fight it I always lose! I should just give up on ever trying to be anything more than what I’m seen as (he pauses fighting his emotions) a nothing. Maybe I’ll just give up on relationships for a while. I’ll just go into school tomorrow and ignore her, it shouldn’t be too hard…. she’s not that hot anyways. Okay well she is hot…. but I’m strong…. and I am stronger than she is hot, maybe. I wish I had more friends; the only kids I have to confide in are Billy and those other two kids that ride the short bus. Something tells me that they don’t really identify. (Lights go up again and Jonathan comes back to Earth from his daydream.)

Jonathan: Hey Dad, do you know anything about Earth Science? I’ve got this test tomorrow.
Dad: Nope
Jonathan: Great. It’s not that I haven’t studied; it’s just that I haven’t studied.
Dad: If worse comes to worse just play the retard card.
Jonathan: Good thinking dad. (Jonathan grins and then his face suddenly turns serious again.) Dad, what would you do in my situation with this girl? Would you forget about her and then move on, or would you keep trying to pursue her?
Dad: I wouldn’t know pretty boy I’ve never had that problem before.
Jonathan: (getting angry nearly yelling) Dad why is it that every time I ask you a serious question you just make some stupid joke! You think laughing at my problem is going to help me some…
Dad: Shh settle down.
Jonathan: Don’t do that it only makes me angrier
Dad: (laughing)
Jonathan: Thanks a lot.

Rose: Well I should get going. (She gets up from the table, and goes to pat Jonathan on the back. She whispers in his ear) don’t let him get you down.
Jonathan: Yeah, I know.
(Jonathan leaves the table annoyed by his father’s insensitive behavior as usual. He goes to his room alone, again with no answers to his questions.)
(Blackout)

Scene 5

“ The Next Morning”

Jonathan is zooming down the hall in his wheelchair as usual, when he spots Andrea at her locker.
Jonathan: (to himself) Should I or shouldn’t I? Oh what the heck. (He goes up to Andrea and smiles.) Hey Andrea, what up?
Andrea: Uh nothing much, just getting my stuff out of my locker.
(Awkward silence.) Look, um, about last night I wasn’t being totally honest with you. I didn’t really just get out of a relationship, I was just afraid that I would get laughed at for dating a kid in a wheelchair. I feel really bad about all of this.
Jonathan: Its okay, I’m used to this. The same thing has happened with every other girl I have ever liked.
Andrea: I like you, I really do, but sometimes things come between people. If I had the choice of you or everyone else I would have to pick them. I don’t know you that well, and call me shallow if you want but I do care about what other people think of me.
Jonathan: I know what you mean. Despite what I say I care about what people think of me too, but I think if we were to date people would get used to it eventually. I mean my appearance isn’t too hideous, other than my wheel chair, I mean c’mon I don’t “ sag” or anything.
Andrea: (dies laughing) Yeah your right, maybe this could work. There is just one problem…my dad.
Jonathan: What do you mean?
Andrea: He doesn’t take kindly to imperfections in people, like in my case, I don’t make the best grades and he ridicules me for it.
Jonathan: So your saying that if he meets me he’ll look down on me because of my disability?
Andrea: Exactly
Jonathan: What if I help you raise your grade average? Then he’ll have to kiss my chair.
Andrea: Ha very funny
Jonathan: Well maybe if he knows that I have helped you improve your “ imperfection,” then he will look at me with a little more respect, if I ever get to meet him.
Andrea: Yeah I guess there’s no telling if we’ll get to that point in the relationship. Who knows we might hate each other after three days.
Jonathan: Yeah, but hopefully not.
(The school bell rings signifying that they are both going to be late for class.)
Jonathan: You know what’s great? I can stroll into class five minutes from now and nobody will say a word.
Andrea: (laughing)
Jonathan: God knows my teaching assistant isn’t going to stay after school with me for detention. (Jonathan pulls one of his legs up and kisses it.)
Andrea: (Laughs) Hey when I come in late for class I can just say you fell out of your wheelchair and I had to help you up. They will feel so sorry for you that they will let me off the hook!
Jonathan: Good thinking, well I should probably go…could I call you later?
Andrea: That would be great.
Jonathan: Okay! Bye.

(They go off in separate directions down the hall. On his way to class Jonathan sees his friend Billy. Jonathan has a big stupid grin on his face.)

Billy: What are you so happy about; did you find a piece of chocolate in your wheelchair or something?
Jonathan: No, but guess who is going out with Andrea now.
Billy: Nice!
Jonathan: I am the king.
Billy: Yeah, yeah. Does she have a sister?
Jonathan: No, but even if she did I wouldn’t tell you.
Billy: Why not?
Jonathan: What if her sister was hotter than her? Then I would be tempted to jump ship.
Billy: (Laughing) Yeah your right.
Jonathan: Well, we should probably get to class considering we’re already late.
Billy: I’m in a study hall.
Jonathan: Well some of us actually have to do some work around here, I’ll catch you later.
Billy: Okay, bye.

(Billy and Jonathan leave the stage, and the curtain closes.)
END OF ACT 1
Act II
Scene 1
“Science class”

Jonathan sits at a lab table, a teaching assistant to his right and his friend across from him.

Elliot: Does that answer sound good to you bro?
Jonathan: (Barley paying attention) Yup sure…
Teaching Assistant: Elliot, do you know what you’re doing??
Elliott Sure do, I don’t have a 70% average in this class for nothing
Jonathan: (Nearly falls out of his chair from laughter) Yeah, we’re doing fine.
TA: I’ll be right back. (Exits the stage)
Jonathan: Thank God she’s gone. Remember that chick I was telling you about?
Elliott: Yeah, why?
Jonathan: Guess who’s laying claim to her now…
Elliott: (laughing) You player!
Jonathan: darn right.

A kid walks by

Kid: You’re going out with Andrea aren’t you?
Jonathan: What’s it to you?
Kid: Not much I guess.
Jonathan: Exactly, now go back to failing your lab.
Kid: Ok (starts to leave then stops) hey shut up!
Jonathan: (laughing) You know I’m right.
Kid: At least I’m not the poster boy for gimps-r-us (the kid runs away after the last statement)
Jonathan: That’s right run away stupid. I hate high school man.
Elliott: Yeah.
Jonathan: He’s going to tell everybody I’m going out with Andrea
Elliott: Yeah but it’ll be coming from the kid told the whole school he made a bomb then came to school with candles strapped to his chest.
Jonathan: Yeah maybe you’re right. Ok back to work.
Elliott: Right.
(The lights dim on everyone but Jonathan)
Jonathan: I hope to god you are anyway. (Blackout)
Act two Scene two later that day
Jonathan sits on a chair facing to the right.
Jonathan: My main goal in life has always been to walk without assistance (stands up walks forward takes about 15 steps and falls) as you can see I’m not just using the wheelchair because it looks cool. (Crawls back to the chair attempts to walk again and falls continue pattern) Why do I feel I need to walk on my own you might ask? I’m not really sure I used to know why I wanted to do it but now I think I try more out of habit than anything else. But at least I keep trying. Andrea is coming over tonight we’re going to study for the earth science test. I went through heck with my mother to convince her to let me have a girl over she probably would have said no if I added in the tiny detail that we were dating. (He suddenly falls hard) Ouch dang that’s it I give up. I’ll never get any further than this. I’m sticking with the chair from now on no more of this crap. Hopefully tonight will lift my spirits. (4 hours pass Jonathan is now sitting in the chair staring out to the audience there is no anger on his face but visible disappointment) Well she never showed up, it’s obvious to me that this isn’t going to work out unless I meet her dad and he sees I’m not a drooling dolphin noise making twitching idiot. I’m sure he thinks I suck all my meals from straws in a Styrofoam cup with a lid. There’s just the slight problem that meeting her parents scares me more than visiting all nine levels of heckbut that’s a small problem. Jonathan’s mom walks out on stage
Mom: (playfully) Who the heckyou talking to boy?
Jonathan: (with a grin) Just…myself.
Mom: (love and concern in her voice as she walks over and gives him a hug) Your friend never showed up huh?
Jonathan: No but her dad is kind of weird so that’s probably why.
Mom: Weird like your dad?
Jonathan: No not the sick humorous type, the weird superficial unaccepting type.
Mom: Well don’t let it worry you honey I’m sure he’ll love you.
Jonathan: I don’t know mom I hope so. But on the bright side at least I won’t lose much if he cripples me.
Mom: (laughing) You’re so weird.
Jonathan: Yeah I know. (Blackout)
Act two Scene three
Andrea’s house
Jonathan sits in his chair rocking back and forth fearfully. Andrea is seated in a chair to his left.
Jonathan: What time does your dad usually get home?
Andrea: About now.
At that moment a tall longhaired man enters the stage his face expressionless he stands at center and stares Jonathan down
Jonathan: (turns to the audience) holy hippy turned to the dark side!
Andrea’s dad: So you’re the reject my daughter has taken a liking to?
Jonathan: Yes I suppose.
Andrea’s dad: I don’t like the idea of you with my daughter at all.
Jonathan: Why because I’m not an upstanding citizen.
Andrea’s Dad: (Not amused) No because she needs someone with all the pieces of his puzzle intact.(blackout)
Jonathan: Well I can assure you that all the necessary pieces are there. I kept all my brain functions.
Andrea’s Dad: Perhaps, but could you defend her honor in a fight?
Jonathan: Well, I could offer moral support.
Andrea’s Dad: Moral support isn’t good enough.
Jonathan: With all do respect sir, we haven’t been dating that long. It’s not like she’s having my children or anything.
Andrea’s Dad: Heaven help you if that were the case, then you would really be missing some pieces from your puzzle.
Jonathan: Yes, I would expect so.
Andrea’s Dad: Well I suppose I can allow this for now, but just so we’re clear, I still don’t believe people like you should be dating normal people like my daughter.
Jonathan: (Biting his tongue) Understood. So I guess making out is out of the question?
Andrea’s Dad: Get out of my house before I cripple you further.
Jonathan: Yes sir.

Scene 4

Study hall three months later
Jonathan sits in his wheelchair pulled up to a table. Elliot is to his left.

Jonathan: Dang man, it’s been three months already, and unfortunately she’s one of those girls that feels petty milestones need to be acknowledged. What the **** do you get a girl that has everything?
Elliot: Dinner…
Jonathan: There is one problem with that, I’m broke off my butt.
Elliot: McDonalds?
Jonathan: Funny, very funny.
Elliot: Why not hit your dad up for money? Isn’t he like a lawyer or something?
Jonathan: Yes but currently not a very high paid one.
Elliot: Well that sucks. Well what about pan - handling?
Jonathan: That’s a good idea, but all I would get are pennies. (After a pause) I’ve got it I’ll sing in the cafeteria for money. Did you happen to bring your guitar?
Elliot: Actually yeah, I have it downstairs in the music room.
Jonathan: Sweet. We’ll get a jar or something. Chicks love dudes that sing. What songs do you know by heart so I can go look up the lyrics on my laptop?
Elliot: (Grabs a piece of paper and writes up a list) There you go.
Jonathan: I don’t know a lot of these songs.
Elliot: The last three are ones we wrote together.
Jonathan: Oh yeah, must be the nerves, or the pain meds.
Elliot: (He laughs and the bell rings)
Jonathan: I’ll catch you at lunch man…be ready.
Elliot: Gotcha.

BLACK OUT!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I think this is awesome...the way you handle the content here with humour and yet keep everything genuine. There are bits that made me tear up, and pieces that made me laugh out loud.

In fact, I can see this becoming a movie...

aaron said:
Jonathan: (softly) My name is Jonathan Cook and I have cerebral palsey. I’m sure your asking yourself “what the heck is that?” most people are anyway...
I'm gunna be honest. I was thinking that exact thing. And I think the fact you addressed that right up and then answered with, "It sucks" says a lot about how this story will progress. I also love the fact he's taking to the camera.

aa star said:
...talking to a pretty girl and all of the sudden I have a spastic moment and accidentally smack her now I don’t know about you but to me that doesn’t say “I’m the guy of your dreams” very well it gives the impression that you should keep about a foot away when talking to me...
Again here, we enter a scene expecting one response and come out of it with another. I'm thinking, "Man, that's so sad..." Or even depressing, and you turn it around with "I don't know about you but..." and I manage a little giggle. The dry humour here is great and fitting.

aaaaaaron said:
*laughs*

Billy: Yeah well I still say all you’re going to get is a kick in the butt and not in a good way.
I love this line!

Kid 1: (imitates a dolphin sound)
Bus attendant: no noises on the school bus!
Kid 1: (laughs hysterically makes noise again)
Kid 2: :frown: assorted grunts and screams)
Ok, now this story is making me question my own self. I feel like giggleing...but should I?

a+ writer said:
Jonathan looks to the audience and smiles breaking the fourth wall
I love it when people break the forth wall!
And I know for fact that you want to laugh and I’m not mocking them I feel for them, I really do but even they know they’re funny
Remind me why I have tears in my eyes here...but I do...

Rose: Don’t be a baby; you know she’s sitting by the phone waiting for you to call her.
*giggles* Oh, I like the discription of Rose, and I love that she said the line he predicted she would say.

Andrea: Yeah I guess. So… can you feel your legs?
And she said the other line he predicted...somehow I was dissapointed in her then...

Dad: How was your day at school today pretty boy (this is a nickname Jonathan has had to deal with since birth.)
*tilts head to the side* This is a very surprising and awesome line. It says so much about the family relationship here...there's the Father who thinks he is using an affectionate name, and the son who dispices the name...it interests me.

Jonathan: (chuckles) Yeah, I guess. (The lights dim on everyone but Jonathan) This is how it always goes I tell them my problem dad makes a joke and everyone moves on.
Again, this shows so much of his life and what he has to put up with...

Okay well she is hot…. but I’m strong…. and I am stronger than she is hot
THis line sizzles with possabilities! I love it!

...the only kids I have to confide in are... those other two kids that ride the short bus. Something tells me that they don’t really identify.
*giggles* Sorry.

Jonathan: God knows my teaching assistant isn’t going to stay after school with me for detention. (Jonathan pulls one of his legs up and kisses it.)
I love how he keeps such a great sense of humour...

Elliott: Yeah but it’ll be coming from the kid told the whole school he made a bomb then came to school with candles strapped to his chest.
Hahahahah!

Jonathan: My main goal in life has always been to walk without assistance (stands up walks forward takes about 15 steps and falls) as you can see I’m not just using the wheelchair because it looks cool.
Wow...

Jonathan: (turns to the audience) holy hippy turned to the dark side!
*giggles*

Jonathan: Why because I’m not an upstanding citizen.
*giggles again*

Andrea’s Dad: Well I suppose I can allow this for now, but just so we’re clear, I still don’t believe people like you should be dating normal people like my daughter.
Ouch! Define normal you cow of a man! *throws bricks at him*

Jonathan: (Biting his tongue) Understood. So I guess making out is out of the question?
Ok, so, Jon takes it better than I did...

I'm looking forward to the next installment, and congratulations man on putting together something like this.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't review this earlier, but by the time I saw this last night, I was tired and had to go to bed. Anyway, it was hilarious; really great writing there Aaron, and this quote (already quoted by Beau) reminds me of my sister, because she says the same thing all the time:
Aaron said:
Yep, that's just like my sister, lol!

Katzi428

Reaction score
WOW!! Aaron...I love it! I especially llike the way you don't make Jonathan focus on his C.P.. It's wonderful.Keep 'em coming.:smile:

Aaron

Reaction score
more sorry for the delay

Scene 5
“Cafeteria”
Jonathan: (sitting in his chair in a corner with Elliott next to him holding a guitar) Thank you, did you like that one? (Dead silence) Okay. We’re about done here we’d like to thank you for your generous donations of (looks into case) a half eaten tray of nachos and a failed math test. (Andrea enters and walks towards Jon)
Elliott: Here she comes.
Andrea: Want to clue me in as to what the **** that was?
Jonathan: That was my lame attempt at making money to take you somewhere nice to eat but unless you like big Macs I’d say I failed miserably.
Andrea: You expected people to give you money for writing a song about stoned monkeys? You don’t have to do anything for me you know
Jonathan: It seemed like it meant a lot to you.
Andrea: It really doesn’t as long as I can spend time with you.
Elliott: If you two want time together I know where the janitor keeps his keys.
Jonathan: Why are you still standing there?
Elliott: To bring color to such desolate conversations.
Jonathan: Get out of here.
(Elliott exits stage left)
Andrea: Hey I got to go too but can I call you after school…. we need to talk. (She exits)
Jonathan (to audience) That's girl for...**** you screwed up and I'm gonna ***** at you until the sun goes down.
(Blackout)

Aaron

Reaction score
not that you care but here's the last of it

Scene 6
Later that day
Jonathan is on the phone with Andrea it is evident that the conversation is strained
Jonathan: And the kid yells out “let it be know I will NOT be messed with.
Andrea: Yeah that’s pretty funny.
Jonathan: I guess you had to be there.
(Awkward pause)
Andrea: So…
Jonathan: You said we needed to talk?
Andrea: Yeah look this really isn’t working well for me. My friends laugh at me so does my dad and plus I’ve met someone else. You’re great you really are but I just can’t handle what comes with dating you. All I get are questions about what you can and can’t do and I can’t deal with it. I’m sorry.
Jonathan: Yeah you are. (He hangs up) So that’s how it ends I guess she decides one day she can’t take it and that’s where it ends. Well that’s just fine I don’t need anyone I’ve never had anyone and I’ve done fine so who cares she can go with whoever the **** she met and be happy I’m going to keep doing what I’ve always done laugh at the stupidity of it all and move on I’ll be fine they’ll be other girls someday I just have to keep my head up. That would be so much easier if didn’t suck at being the loner I claim to be I hate being alone I’ve always hated being alone it’s barely been a year since I finally found a friend or two but I’ll be ok I always am I bet things will turn out ok in eight months time I’ll be my old self again. (He pauses trying not to lose his composure) but god I finally thought I meant something to someone.
(Blackout)
Epilogue
Eight months later back where we were at the prologue
Jonathan: I spent the next few months trying to forget I ever met her and move on with my life unfortunately that didn’t quite work out as I’d hoped. I really spent that time sulking and avoiding most people I’d see her every now and again and I’d roll by quick as I could and maybe run over her foot if the opportunity presented itself and I was really depressed most of the time. I mean I guess I should have expected this to happen I don’t know what other kind of ending I was hoping for but I didn’t think she was the sort of person who would dump strictly because of my disability I guess it just goes to show that there’s really no such thing as acceptance of someone like me at least not in romantic relationships at my age I know eventually someone will love me but it won’t be soon but until then I’ll keep rolling along and being the good person I try to be and keep fighting my disability and trying to rise above the short bus.
The end

Beauregard

Reaction score
Aaron? Aaron? Is that you buddy? HI! *huge hugs* How have you been, ol' buddy ol' friend?