RIP Beverly Sills

sesameguy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. She was obviously a great singer, and she had a great sense of humor. I remember an article from the old "Muppet fan club" newsletter that included a picture of her and some friends holding up spoons to their noses, in tribute to the "spoon-hanging" she did with Gonzo on the show! She sent a note with the photo saying "I'm spreading the word. Love, Beverly." She will be missed.

Skye

Reaction score
Aww, that sounds really cute, sesameguy.

This is such sad news. RIP, Beverly.

Kiki

Reaction score
Oh my God, when did this happen? This is terrible news! :cry:

Rest in peace, Beverly Sills. :frown:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I saw the clip of the TMS on the news on ABC this evening when Fozzie asks her if she can tap dance. She did have a fantastic show with the Muppets.

They said that, though she never smoked, she had contracted lung cancer.

SSLFan

Reaction score
How many TMS guest stars have died?

peyjenk

Reaction score
I was watching CSI last night, and when I flipped channels during a commercial break, I stumbled upon a PBS special about Beverly Sills. It was probably Great Performances or something like that, and my first thought was "Maybe they'll show a clip from The Muppet Show!" So I kept watching it, waiting for TMS, but instead I saw what an incredible performer and witty person she was. She was truly beautiful and even though I know almost nothing about opera, I could see exactly what made her a legend.

And, finally, the PBS producers realized that I had learned my lesson, that Ms. Sills was more than a Muppet Show guest, so they granted me a favor by showing bits of her episode. :smile: They showed Kermit, Fozzie, and Scooter talking about her backstage, Fozzie introducing her as "Bev Sills" the country singer, her tap dancing, her singing with the jugband, and ended it with Statler and Waldorf's joke ("Is there anything she doesn't do well?" "Yes, choosing what show to be on!").

The special was great, and although I never got to know her, now that I've seen what kind of a person she was, I miss her.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
Barbra Walters did a tribute to her yesterday on The View. It was very heartfelt and genuine. No Muppet Show mentions but she did seem like an incredibly talented lady with quite a big career.