RIP David Carradine

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
Actor David Carradine, Broadway veteran and star of the iconic 70s TV series Kung Fu, has been found dead in his hotel room in Bangkok, Thailand. Early reports on June 4 state the death is believed to have been a suicide. Carradine was 72.

A theatrical legacy, Carradine was the eldest member of the esteemed family of actors that included late father John Carradine, half-brothers Keith Carradine, Robert Carradine and Michael Bowen and niece Martha Plimpton.

The Tony-nominated star of Pal Joey issued the following statement: "My Uncle David was a brilliantly talented, fiercely intelligent and generous man. He was the nexus of our family in so many ways, and drew us together over the years and kept us connected. I adored him as a child, and as an adult I admired and respected him. We will all miss him terribly, and are so grateful for everyone's condolences. The passing of someone so loved is extremely difficult under any circumstances, and I hope that all those in the media who admired David will respect his legacy and allow his family and loved ones to grieve peacefully."
Born in John Arthur Carradine in Hollywood on December 8, 1936, Carradine began his career in entertainment at San Francisco State College, where he studied musical theory and composition. While writing music for the college’s drama department, he discovered a passion for acting, eventually joining a Shakespearean repertory company. Carradine moved to New York City and began working as commercial artist before making his Broadway debut as a replacement in 1964’s The Deputy. He received acclaim the following season for his turn in Peter Shaffer’s The Royal Hunt of the Sun playing opposite Christopher Plummer, winning a 1966 Theatre World Award for his performance.

The actor returned to Hollywood shortly after the close of Hunt of the Sun, landing the short-lived TV series Shane in 1966 before appearing in Martin Scorsese’s debut Hollywood film, Boxcar Bertha. Carradine’s breakout occurred in the cult classic series Kung Fu, spending 1972 through 1975 playing leading man Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin Monk who wanders the American West. Though Carradine became committed to studying martial arts only after landing the role, the show solidified him as a Kung Fu master in the public eye, an association that led to many other martial arts projects including Kung Fu: The Movie, Circle of Iron, a four-season revisiting of the original series titled Kung Fu: The Legend Continues in the mid-90s and the title role in director Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill films. Other notable credits on Carradine’s long and diverse resume include Gray Lady Down, Bird on a Wire, Bound for Glory, The Serpent’s Egg and The Long Goodbye.

Carradine, four times divorced and five times married, is survived by wife Annie Bierman, son Tom, and daughters Calista and Kansas.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I saw this on Yahoo! earlier today. Really sad news. He was great in Kill Bill (although interestingly, Tarantino wanted Warren Beatty); he also starred in one of my favorite cult films, Death Race 2000, a story set in a futuristic society in which the drivers of a cross-country car race intentionally run over people to score points. Carradine played the lead driver (and audience favorite) Frankenstein; one of his rivals is a young, scenery-chewing Sylvester Stallone.

Carradine was also the star of another great film, the Woody Guthrie biopic, Bound for Glory, in which he sang many of Guthrie's songs.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Carradine was also the voice of Frankenstein in last year's loose remake of Death Race 2000, simply called Death Race. The character was played by Jason Statham. The remake was darker, and had none of the satire of the original.

He wrote an interesting book, published two years ago, The Kill Bill Diary, in which he chronicles the making of the Tarantino film, along with tidbits about his life (professional and private) as an actor.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
How sad! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with him, though :frown:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I literally just read this a few seconds ago, tragic. David Carradine was a great actor. He will be missed.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My Spanish teacher told us yesterday and no one had heard of him (the only way I knew of Kung-Fu was from Kermit's reference in the Valentine special).

Shame though.

JaniceGirl

Reaction score
Sad he died even though I've only ever seen him in a Medium episode

Xerus

Reaction score
XERUS’S VOICE ARTIST FOCUS:

To honor the memory of the late David Carradine, I’m making him this week’s V/A focus. One voice I remember David doing was Hank Hill’s half brother from Japan, Junichiro, from King of the Hill. May you, R.I.P, Mr. David Carradine. :cry:

AN AMERICAN TAIL 3: Chief Wulisso
BALTO 2: Nava the Wolf Shaman
CAPTAIN SIMIAN AND THE SPACE MONKEYS: Captain Simian’s Older Self
DANNY PHANTOM: Clockwork
DEATH RACE: Frankenstein
JACKIE CHAN ADVENTURES: Lo Pei
KING OF THE HILL: Junichiro
SAINTS ROW: William Sharp