Rip Johnny Hart

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Little known fact....

In the 1960's The Muppets did a pilot for a show based on Mr. Hart's comic strip Wizard of Id.

I saw it a few years ago at the Museum of TV and Radio at an event called "The Unseen Works of Jim Henson". It was a fantastic evening of films and rare footage then a Q & A session with a bunch of Henson people including Jane Henson and Jerry Nelson.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Looking back: I noticed that Brant Parker's death occurred on April 15, 2007, eight days after Johnny Hart's death on 4/7/2007.

I am among those who will miss Parker and Hart, because they were as closely associated with their comic strips as Jim Henson was with the Muppets.

One might even say they were the "hart and soul" of Creators Syndicate, which distributes B.C. (now drawn by Mason Mastroianni, Johnny Hart's grandson), and The Wizard of Id (now drawn by Jeff Parker, Brant's son).

snichols1973

Reaction score
Little known fact....

In the 1960's The Muppets did a pilot for a show based on Mr. Hart's comic strip Wizard of Id.

I saw it a few years ago at the Museum of TV and Radio at an event called "The Unseen Works of Jim Henson". It was a fantastic evening of films and rare footage then a Q & A session with a bunch of Henson people including Jane Henson and Jerry Nelson.

I read about that, I wish I could watch it.

Jim's Red Book "Wizard of Id Test Pilot" - YouTube

snichols1973

Reaction score
Jerry Juhl voiced the King of Id, while Jim Henson voiced the Wizard and the Spook in the test pilot segment....

Some of the script jokes, such as the "bear arms" and "scum in the moat" gags, are taken from earlier Wizard of Id strips, while the ending includes a "standard Muppet finale; if you don't know how to end it, go out with a *Poof*.... " followed by a puff of smoke....