RIP Storm Thorgerson (1944-2013)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
He probably won't be a recognizable name to many of you, but he was a super graphic designer who specialized in one field: album covers.

Back in ancient times, before CDs and iTunes, we used to listen to music on these big vinyl discs called LP's. And they were housed in cardboard sleeves, which gave artists a 12 inch square canvas to express themselves. In the late 60's, Storm formed a graphic company called Hipgnosis which created covers for some of the top British bands from the 70's onward, such as Paul McCartney, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, etc., but he is most associated with Pink Floyd.

His simple prism design- Dark Side of the Moon
A businessman in flames shaking hands with his double- Wish You Were Here
The flying pig (one of my faves!)- Animals

Thank you Storm, you gave me some great stuff to look at while digging my favorite bands.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Personally I think his best work were the ones he did for Peter Gabriel.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
And in the early days of MTV, he directed a few videos, including Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart".

theSHE124

Reaction score
Who's Storm Thorerson?
Didn'chya read the first post, Collgoff? He made that classic cover for Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon!:sing: I know about graphic design, I work in the field. In fact, I made one sleeve for a Secret 7" Invite on talenthouse.com (see signature).

Anyway, thanks for giving the tribute, FuzzyGobo. Seems with each obituary, I'm learning something new every day. Who knew? :smirk:

Collgoff

Reaction score
I did read it but it was a bit confusing.

WalterFan1234

Reaction score
My favorite album covers of his are the good ol UFO albums.