Rod arm techniques

buckshot

Reaction score
How do you guys hold two rod arms when performing? I have seen different ways of holding them (in an x, parallel, etc), but wasn't sure which was the most efficient.

I'm sure this has already been a topic, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for your input.

spcglider

Reaction score
Haven't had alot of extended performance time since I ususally work on video. But I have held them in many ways depending on what the movement for the arms needed to be. Usually parallel so they don't conflict with each other when I want to get a wide spread on the arms.

Just my two pennies.

-Gordon

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Yea, I would think it's anyway you feel comfortable....annd works for the scene

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I actually hold mine in a grip next to eachother (Not crossed)...sometimes I let the non-dominant arm hang down and grab the rods when needed. This actually makes the arm look more life like than when there is no rod since it is weighted. Then if I need that arm I reach over and grab the rod again. Unfortunately letting go of the rod is dangerous if you're performing in close quarters with other puppeteers. Also holding my rods together and moving both arms individually requires quite a bit of finger dexterity but it works better than crossing them (the rods I use are thin black metal with wooden handles...it provides a nice grip for grasping them together). The funny thing is I have only been puppeteering for 3 years and everyone reccomends crossing them like an x (or scissors one person told me) and I just can't seem to get that to look natural... but different things work for different people I suppose.

Phantom

Reaction score
DannyRWW said:
Unfortunately letting go of the rod is dangerous if you're performing in close quarters with other puppeteers.
It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye.:embarrassed:

Been there, done that, got the eye patch...yarrrgh...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of that crossed-rod technique myself. Anyone here use it?

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Personally the "cross" way hurts my fingers and I don't have much control with it....so I don't use it.....

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Here's a post I wrote about how Steve Whitmire operates two arm rods. The "description above" that's missing is that the two rods are separate, not crossed, otherwise this technique wouldn't work.

:stick_out_tongue:

MGov

Reaction score
I built a handle for the rods from a spring loaded salad or kitchen tongs.