Roger Corman

Yorick

Reaction score
He directed the original "Little Shop Of Horrors" in the 60's, has made countless movies in his career, and has two films coming to Sci-Fi (Now they call it SyFy? :concern:) Channel, "DinoShark" and "Sharktopus"! Can't wait!:big_grin:

Plus, Corman included actor Dick Miller in many films, and Joe Dante (who worked with Corman before doing his own thing) went on to include Dick Miller in, I believe, all of his films (except his newest, "The Hole" - perhaps Mr. Miller has retired).

Miller got the job with Corman when he went with his friend, actor Jonathan Haze, to meet Corman. He was a writer so he told Corman this. Corman said he needed actors, and Dick said, "Then I'm an actor!" - though he hadn't before. And it worked out well :smile:

By the way, in Gremlins, Dick Miller was Mr. Futterman. He's also in the original 60's Little Shop Of Horrors, as is Jackie Joseph, who plays Mrs. Futterman in Gremlins...

Corman also has a young Jack Nicholson in some of his films...two of which are "The Raven" and "The Terror"

Corman's version of The Raven has Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Jack. The castle used in Corman's take on The Raven was set to be destroyed a few days after the film was done. So quickly, they decided to make one more film wih that amazing castle - that film is "The Terror"...

The Terror has Boris Karloff, Jack, Dick Miller, and Jonathan Haze...and it has a great atmosphere for that Halloween mood, I tell ya.

That's it for now, ha.
-------------
From a review of a bio book:
During a career that spans fifty years, he has produced more than five hundred films on shoestring budgets, making a profit on nearly every one. In the process, Corman has become the role model for today’s independent filmmaker, laying the groundwork for the success of directors like Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez. This guru with a vision has also demonstrated an uncanny eye for talent, being among the first to recognize and employ the abilities of Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Jonathan Demme, Joe Dante, Ron Howard, John Sayles, and James Cameron, to name but a few.

Roger Corman: An Unauthorized Biography of the Godfather of Indie Filmmaking, takes you behind the cameras and into the heart of Cormanville for a first-hand, insider’s look at the man and the mogul. Interviewing over one hundred of Corman’s friends and associates, Beverly Gray provides a compelling look at the private and public lives of this soft-spoken giant of the cinema.

Yorick

Reaction score
From reading reviews of Dante's newest, "The Hole", I've found (despite IMDB not listing this fact) that Dick Miller DOES have a cameo in it...just an update, since my last post mentioned that he wasn't in it...so for those of you who read it, I didn't want to misinform you!:big_grin: I was happy to learn that he's in the film, short as it is, I hear it's "wordless, yet hilarious"