Romance of Kermit and Piggy

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Okay,

Didn't want another thread to go way off topic again, so here's the NEW thread to discuss the world's longest running gag of unrequeited love:

Kermit and Piggy.

I wrote to the JHC just before they sold off to Disney (and the thread is here somewhere, though I don't know where) and posted the response saying that they sided with the Frog that, while he's admitted SOME relationship as "friends" and they went out a few times, there was nothing more than friendship, no engagements, no wedding in TMTM (It was only a movie), no "figs," and no love more than friends.

Of course, Kermit might be the one who is NOT telling the truth completely. Maybe he wants to keep the mystique going because it's popular in the entertainment industry for the leading-frog to be single, or to keep the romance story going and going so the public has something to wonder and talk about?

It's Miss Piggy's publicity stunts spreading rumors through the media blitz that they've been, or are, engaged--even after she's already tried to trick him into marrying her on TMS, acted it out on the stage in TMTM, and so back and forth she goes from engagement to marriage to engagement. Is it truth? Is it all a lie? Is it her starvation for attention?

Poor Miss Piggy! I posted about this in another thread: She's totally misunderstood! She has such a necessity for attention that she will settle for BAD attention, through her rumor starting to her karate chopping. She's aggressive with her work and so has become that way with her life. What does this stem from? Was she treated badly on the farm where she grew up? Did her parents tell her she would never amount to anything? Is THIS why it's her desire to be the Diva she's become??

And the two of them, the love-triangle that once existed with Miss Mousey--where did SHE end up???

Also, does Miss Piggy's hounding Kermit all the time drive him further away than it would if she just calmed down, stepped back, and let it happen in HIS time instead of just trying so hard to MAKE it happen?

Things to think about.
Now, discuss...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You kiddin' me? I think too much!! Ow-owooo, my brain...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Muppetfreak said:
What annoys me, though, is that once Jim died, they flipped it to this whole "they never dated it was in Piggy's head" thing. Not only is it annoying to us fans because it makes all the original movies and their affection "fake" but it also turns Miss Piggy, one of the best characters they have, into a one gag character.
Not so. The JHC was denying that 1984 movie romance as anything more than a movie romance prior to Jim's death in 1990. It was featured in a Miss Piggy's letter section in Muppet Magazine (don't remember the issue, but remember there were Letters from the Frog-In-Chief (editor) denying the film as fact, plus more). They've never recanted on the possibility of a romance, but the wedding wasn't real, and other than really good friends with a few dates there have been nothing more.

HOWEVER! Does Kermit love Piggy?? I think so, at least a little more than just friends. He gets jealous when others flirt with her, or she with them. And when he "came back" to the theater in VMX, he grabbed her and kissed her.

Will there ever be a full-fledged relationship? We'll have to wait and see!

Beauregard

Reaction score
Kermit loves her, I think. But how much? Enough for commitment? Another questian, does Piggy love him? Love him deep down, or is she just flirtatious and/or lusting for him? Is there a truely tender spot in her heart for him?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You know what I WISH? I wish we had someone who was degreed in Freudian psychology and could psychoanalyze their personalities and relationship!

I don't think Kermit is ready for a commitment. He's committed to his job. I think that's what keeps the two of them from a relationship. Does he love her? Yes. Maybe slightly more than friends. I just don't think he wants to do more than date, though.

Does Piggy love him? I dunno how much, but sure. I think from watching the shows and movies she's interested in a relationship with the STAR of the show, the emcee. I think she likes the idea of the media always questioning and chasing after that story, keeping her in the spotlight. Tender spot? Yes. Deep down honest love? Possibly. I don't think she'd be happy if they did ever get married.

But watch her on the show when a handsome co-star came into the scene...she shifts her attention! Is it because she suddenly found someone more famous? More handsome? More money? More opportunity to become more famous? To make Kermit jealous?

And it's not just a game Piggy plays. Kermit always had Miss Mousey in the beginning, and he also possibly used Annie Sue as a target of Piggy's jealousy by subconsciously being sweet to her (?)--or, maybe he was just really sweet to Annie Sue (Piggy's biggest fan) because she was a young one just starting out?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It makes me sad that Kermit totally puts down Piggy, making her seem almost delusional. She's just a very strong, and misunderstood woman. She has a lot of guts to go out on a line like that with Kermit, and like someone else said, she'll even settle for negative attention from him. She needs to have a good talk with herself and think over her actions, because she's not getting anything out of the relationship. No wonder she's always karate-chopping epople, it's displaced frustration about being unable to truly express her love to kermit and how she gets nothing in return.

Needless to say, I side with Piggy on this one. :wink:

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
You kiddin' me? I think too much!!
See my problem is quite the opposite. And there are times when I'm typing too fast and my head just hits the keyboard really quickly and threuthrekjthrejk so that's why I only jdhejorhejwkhnrtjew once a week nowadays felrkew. Do you agree?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Does Kermit love Piggy? Does Piiggy love kermit? I don't know. I think Kermit gets tired of Piggy and her stunts. She is always trying to get the frog to notice her yet she is always acting alll nice and friendly to the male guest stars and Kermit never gets mad. Yet when Kermit tries to be nice to the female guest stars Piggy gets mad.

Honestly, the whole Piggy/Kermit romance thing is overdone and got old after a while. It's like the romance between Sam and Diane in Cheers. The romance got old after a while for both of them and it got old to see Kermit and Piggy too. That's something that the writers should have dropped later on in the series.

ryan