Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Not One Of My Favorite Christmas Specials, When It Came To Rankin/Bass On These Parts They Were Starting To Go Downhill, But I Liked The Special Though :smile:

Xerus

Reaction score
I love how all the classic Rankin/Bass characters came together in this movie, Rudolph, Frosty, Crystal, their kids, the Mickey Rooney Santa, Big Ben the Clockwork Whale and Jack Frost. And bringing up past references like Santa first giving Mrs. Claus a China Doll, The Magic Feed Corn that makes reindeer fly, and a photo of Clarice on Rudolph's wall.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I don't mind this one. It's that newest Rudolph one I don't care for. That CGI one (?) about the misfit toys missing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I personally liked New Year, but I think a lot of people were minorly annoyed with Rudolph for not flying to save Happy.
I just thought the time puns were pretty annoying. If it were a 1960's Batman episode, maybe... and the music? It's Raining Sunshine? They just made this one for the sake of making it.

But if there's one thing that's associated with Rakin Bass that was utterly horrible was the live action remake of The Year Without a Santa Claus. The references were dated and forced... oh so freaking forced. The only thing good about the blasted thing was Harvey Firestine or however the heck you spell it.

That said, and feel free to disagree... the best thing Rakin Bass ever did? Not the stop motion specials. Thundercats. And Silverhawks.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's true. I don't like Crystal Frosty's snow wife acting all nasty. I mean she was nicer to Jack Frost in her special who essentialy tried to kill Frosty!
Exactly, plus it felt like all the women were mad at Rudolph while the men felt sorry for him. It was more of that old fashioned nonsense the original Rudolph special had.

I tried watching the Shiny New Year one, but it just wasn't enjoyable.
I actually enjoy that one, if only for the "Moving Finger Writes" song that ABC Family always annoyingly cuts, lol:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Speaking of sequel specials people aren't too wild about, I don't much enjoy that Frosty Returns special. It has an impressive voice cast, yes. The actors are pretty much the best part, with John Goodman, Andrea Martin, Brian Murry, and John Winters. But this special is pretty dated (the dreaded once funny, now idiotic MTV reference). And I give it credit for going back to the fact Frosty wasn't even a Christmas song to begin with (there are no mentions of Christmas anywhere in the original song, the Rakin Bass special awkwardly tosses "I'll be back on Christmas day" which wasn't there) by not being a Christmas special. But I can't whip up any enthusiasm to watch it. Plus, the bad guys have a point. A spray that gets rid of snow? If that were real, it's a license to print money.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't believe I like the New Years one better than Christmas in July. I've seen that one more times than Rudolph and Frosty. I wish they'd include a few of the supporting characters from the first Rudolph special, like Hermey and Yukon.

I feel like Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July is too long. I was surprised to see that this was originally planned to be a theatrical film, and I think it was released theatrically in some countries (but not America). I was expecting it to be an hour at most.