1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Rumor: Avenue Q to end on Broadway

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by muppetinsider, Jan 7, 2009.

1. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Just heard on the radio that the infamous musical on Broadway about homosexual puppets living amongst each other will be closing soon along with 8 other shows. I guess the economy got the best of Broadway too. Well, it can only get so bad that it has to get better again.:smirk:
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Oh man that stinks, I never got to see it. I can't believe how bad it's getting. At least in the 1930s people had the golden age of Hollywood to escape to. Not sure we have the equivalent these days. Still, at least we can look back and enjoy the past. I'll probably end up buying the Avenue Q soundtrack at some point, lol.
  3. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

Everything in life is only for now ...
  4. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Very well said, :).

But honsetly, this is really sad, I really wanted to see this play and now it doesn't look like it's going to happen, too bad.
  5. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

I've seen it twice in 2008. It's a shame it's closing on broadway, but I'm glad I was able to see it twice. I hope some kind of movie adaptation happens.
  6. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

I have many good friends in this show - its a REAL shame - very sad.... :(
  7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I'm glad I got to see it here in Ft. Worth. Broadway's never been an option for me. It was perfect. They should put it on DVD for everyone who couldn't go.
  8. I'm so happy I got to see this show when it came to Columbus. I'm not a Broadway musical kind of person, but I really loved it. It sucks that it's closing, but it will make for a great revival a few years down the road.
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Aw! This sucks! Wish I could have seen it and that it didn't have to end.
  10. Baby Gonzo

Baby Gonzo Member

Aww, no! It's terribly depressing to hear about all of these Broadway shows I want to see closing. The economy has hit everyone hard.
  11. davidmartiste

davidmartiste Member

Can someone please confirm this? I know that the London Q is closing in March but have heard no immediate plans for the NY Broadway show. Reservations are still being taken through August 2009. I can't find any other information to support that the Broadway show is closing any time soon.
  12. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I can't find anything on this either. Saw an article about it closing, but then realized it was an old one about the Vegas production. There are 13 Broadways shows closing soon...does anyone have the list?
  13. davidmartiste

davidmartiste Member

14. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't find anything on the internet about Avenue Q closing but if it is... real shame. My favorite musical still had a pretty great run. I'd want to see it one more time before it closes.
  15. Jinx

Jinx Member

I have not heard anything about the show closing. Last week's grosses indicated they were playing to 90.2% capacity. Not exactly the figures you see for a show that is shuttering, unless it's "final weeks".

There are many shows that have, or have announced that they will be shuttering; 13, Hairspray, Grease, Boeing-Boeing, Gypsy, Young Frankenstein, Monty Python's Spamalot, White Christmas (seasonal) and Spring Awakening that I know of.

Every day I am checking on the latest in Broadway happenings through numerous sources. I've not heard anything about Ave. Q closing, although it certainly wouldn't break my heart. I really never cared for the show...
  16. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Avenue Q is amongst those mentioned; just heard it on the NY jazz station the other day.
  17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I saw not long ago!
  18. Jinx

Jinx Member

Yeah.... as of today (1-9-09, 4:45 eastern time) there's no mention of it closing on broadway.com, playbill.com, or broadwayworld.com. Three websites whose business it is to know and report on such things.

Now, the TOUR does close in Schenectady, NY on the 25th, so perhaps it's possible that this is what was heard?

I'm prepared to dismiss this as a rumor possibly heard "on the NY jazz station".
  19. jcnegron

jcnegron Member

I don't think so. There is a contest going on right now (two more days before the deadline) to choose the lyrics that will substitute the song with the "George bush" phrase on it. The winning Lyric will be performed on the 20th. Why bother if it were finishing soon?
  20. jcnegron

jcnegron Member

And by the way, it is not about homosexual puppets. It has only one main gay character and the plot doesn't revolve entirely on him. The same can not be said of many broadway hits.