1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Rumor: Possible new Muppet Show after 27 years

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Fozzie Bear, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I'm not going to take the Telegraph article seriously. Usually actual news doesn't contain foolish mistakes like misspelling movie titles (Muppets Take Manhatten) and calling Kermit the stage manager. I doubt Jason Segal is going to leave his acting career to write for a TV show. And I can't take any big announcement in a poorly-written, ungrammatical article seriously if the news comes from an unidentified source who could very well be a sock on the writer's hand.

As doe The Guardian's article, I agree with Fozzie Bear; they're probably talking about a Henson project that has nothing to do with the Disney-owned Muppets.
  4. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Keep in mind this article is from August 2008.

A new series a definitely being considered and so is another movie in the next couple years. We'll have to wait and see what Disney announces as their next project for the Muppets.
  5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Oop! I didn't see the date on that article. I expected that if an admin posted it as a news article, it would be slightly current.

If there is a new series, that would be great. I have to wonder what format it would be, as variety shows aren't that hot now.
  6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

27 years? So MT! doesn't count?

And yeah, we were supposed to get a new show like four or five years ago, but Disney shelved it.
  7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

MT doesn't count as The Muppet Show, because it is Muppets Tonight. So, theoretically it is correct.

Also, did MT even air in the UK?
  8. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

MT did air in the UK because I have had people ask Jim Lewis about some of of the UK skits with Clueless Morgan and Polly Lobster I believe
  9. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Ahhh. Good point. I wonder what channel it was on...
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I don't know I'm just a poor boy from the hills of Tennessee, but I would hope that one day we get MT on dvd with the UK skits as well. Why do I even think about that when we can't even seem to get TMS season 4!
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm GLAD they did. The concept was "America's Next Top Muppet" and was to be a limp parody of reality TV shows. That was NOT going to bring the characters back, that was going to be a cultural footnote, and I don't think any of the fans would have wanted that nonsense when they can have a more organic Muppet based project. For better or worse, The Muppets was a film that HAD to be made. It presented the characters as themselves, no gimmicks, no themes, no classic retellings... the film may be pretty modern, but it was a very classic version of the Muppets. And honestly, a film was better to relaunch than a TV show or a TV special. I kind of think an opportunity was lost by not doing the mockumentary... but over all a reality show parody would have annoyed fans and been too much of a reach for a more mainstream audience. I can't see any good potential that show would make.

Now, after the film, everyone's calling for a new TV show. A classic Muppet Show might just do wonders on television. A gimmicky one that can't find footing would disappear quickly.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Or JHH :electric:
  13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

would love to see a new muppet show :)