S is for SAD — Classic SS content that you found DEPRESSING

Sparkina

Reaction score
As every Tom, Dick and, er, Gordon on here knows, S is for SESAME STREET — and for SKITS and for STORIES, and for SCENES and for SEGMENTS. It’s also for SAD.
What classic SS skits, stories scenes and segments made you sad when you were little?
The “A Flower Grows” “pageant” skit with Prairie Dawn and company depressed the whiz out of me when Cookie Monster and Herry Monster ate Bert’s daisy costume. The sight of them destroying that pretty daisy made me cry.

The skit where Lola the Cow was looking for a place to live kind of made me sad too. That poor cow seemed so lost.

Also, the whole thing where the adults thought Snuffy was fantasized and told Big Bird so. It was, like, nobody believed The Birdster. (I was years out of the target age group when they did away with that whole angle) I realize now, as an adult, that it was a way to teach children that there’s a time for fantasy and a time for things that are real, but I didn’t think that way at five or six years old. I was just sad for The Birdster that no one believed him.

OK, folks, your turn! It could be a Muppet skit, a cartoon, a human cast skit, a celebrity segment, or a street scene, but what classic SS content turned on YOUR boo-hoo faucets? 😢

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I found the film segment showing parts of a flower with Vivaldi's music playing in the background a bit sad, especially when it was shown on Episode 1839 immediately after the street scene in which Mr. Hooper's death was revealed.