Safe material for children

Iokitek

Reaction score
My sister is expecting a baby and I was thinking of a present for her. I decided to make her a handpuppet and give the Muppet thing a try. I think I'll use the Blue Boy pattern for this then. I don't know if this works well enough with small children though. So I guess it would be best to make it a regular plush doll aswell. And once her child gets older she can use it as a handpuppet.

So I was wondering if any of you had some advice for me on safe materials. Small children would probably stick it in their mouths and nibble on it even. So it has to be good stuff without any sharp edges. Hopefully some of you could give me some tips. I've seen dolls made out of the same material as washclots etc. But I don't know if that's neccesary.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think using regular fleece would be OK but I would machine sew the puppet rather than hand stitch it so there's less risk of little bits of thread coming loose. If you use plastic eyes, make sure they are large ping-pong ball like ones and secure them on very, very well. Don't use any paints or things that can peel or fall of easily. You just have to use common sense and avoid anything that could potentially be a choking hazard.

Iokitek

Reaction score
That's what I thought :smile: Thanks Andrew

It might still be a fun idea to use that washcloth stuff though. I'll see what I can come up with.