Sailor Moon manga or anime

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Since my earlier thread in which I proposed to talk about Harry Potter and Sailor Moon didn't gain overly much response I thought I'd try talking about Sailor Moon on her own.

In particular here is my question to you: Do you prefer the original manga meaning Japanese comic version of the saga or the anime cartoon version? And you may even prefer the English dub or the original Jap. version with subtitles.

Me I love both versions though I prefer the english cartoon. The manga is a little adult in content though not in an obscene sense so the anime dub is much more recommended for children. I would love to check out the Jap version one day though but I think the kiddie version is the one I'd always love the most.

Timotheus

Reaction score
I have to admit, I actually used to like that show. I used to be really into anime...not so much anymore. I think I grew out of it for some reason. The art in the manga is actually quite stellar, though.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I'm pleased to see at least one reply to this thread so far.
It's true that the English dub is more or less aimed at children so some people may grow out of it. Still I've always thought it a remarkable fantasy though I'm only familiar with the series as far as it was adapted by Dic.
I do hope they start making live action movies eventually.

I believe the Sailor Scouts battles against Queen Beryl, Alan and Anne and The Wiseman could be adapted into an excellent movie trilogy:big_grin:

Does anybody agree?

Xela

Reaction score
Never really read the manga too much, so probably the anime. I would like to see the Japanese version now.

The opening theme in Japanese is very cool!

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
I love Sailor Moon (the English dubbed version)! :smile:

Though I've seen a bit of the Japanese version, I have fondest memories of watching the dubbed episodes right before grade school on WB11 in the morning. I watched it every weekday religiously and remember how devastated I was that one morning when instead of going to the next episode of the R series to see what happens next with Rini, the Sailor Scouts and the Nega Moon, they started all over again with episode 1. Sailor Venus was my favourite Sailor Scout. I cried when Zoycite nearly killed Darien and the Moon Princess was revealed... I still love the series, though I wish DC had kept the original VAs for Darien and Sailor Moon (Toby Proctor and Tracey Moore, respectively) for the S series and beyond. Tracey Moore, I can understand; she was in the middle of a pregnancy and decided to devote her time to her newborn. But the only reason Toby Proctor was cut out of the picture (Vince Corazza, who voiced Alan, took over the voicing role of Darien and I can't quite listen to him in the role without thinking Alan) was because DC never let him renew his contract.

As to your idea, it's brilliant! I'd love to see a film series devoted to Sailor Moon. With some use of CGI, it could end up being just as big as Harry Potter and The Lord of The Rings. :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I'm certainly glad they did finish off the third storyline in the end. There was actually talk at one stage that they might have just forgotten all about it thus leaving the saga unresolved. But enough fans protested and we did get to find out what happened finally.

Serena is such a funny character. Good at heart though she has her faults.

The three live action movies would be a good idea. I could easily imagine them condensing the battle against Queen Beryl in two hours ending faithful to the cartoon where the girls and Darian all lose their memories then the movie could end with Serena and Luna asleep in bed when a huge object comes hurtling to earth with an enormous crash. They wake up screaming and as the closing credits roll the audience is left with the knowledge that Alan and Anne have just moved into the neighbourhood riding the Doom tree

Similarly at the end of the second movie they could tie in the next installment by ending with Rini falling from the sky.

Xerus

Reaction score
Even though I really loved the Sailor Moon series, I always felt bad how Serena seemed to suffer a lot through the series. :cry:

My favorite scouts are Sailor Mercury and Sailor Saturn.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well part of it was her own fault because of her silly attitudes. But other times Raye seemed to aggravate her to a needless extent. Raye was a bit stupid in her own different sort of way of course.

And then there was her apparent natural in-built clumsiness. She seemed to be the sort of person who was always stumbling and tripping no matter how hard she tried to watch her step. Though thankfully that did not literally happen all the time. So I can give her some of my:sympathy:

Anyway what do you all think about my idea for the three movies flowing into each other like I posted above?

Xerus

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Anyway what do you all think about my idea for the three movies flowing into each other like I posted above?
It's a thought I suppose.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
You know what's the most amazing thing about the English version of Sailor Moon?

All the Sailor Scouts have a streak of cold-blooded killing-ness about them and yet they seem to make it perfectly okay for a children's show.:wink: :big_grin: :cool: