Save the Fozzie Replica

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

• Yes. money is no object

Votes: 123 45.2%
  • Yes. if he is $400-$600

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Yes. if he is less than $400

Votes: 92 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Sidshow has some pretty awesome replicas of the Alien and Preditor line which is selling really well. I wanted to get a couple of the props but had to save money for other things I wanted.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it was Sideshow - their core business is very much statues rather than prop replicas. I'm afraid, though, that any new company to pick up the license will re-release Kermit, sales won't be fantastic (because, let's face it, a lot of us already have him) and Fozzie will again not make it out. It would be very unusual for someone to pick up a license where another company left off, rather than just starting over from the beginning again.
Sideshow sell many varied things.Remember that they also sold the Jen and kira Dark Crystal dolls.

unclematt

Reaction score
I have never seen those dolls. Can you put a link to them on here?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Sideshow's 2002 Dark Crystal dolls are a terrible example of the company's usual quality standards. These helped made it difficult to market Dark Crystal items to retailers. So many companies passed on the license because of the response to the Sideshow dolls, but Plan B bravely released their busts. We'll see how interested the mainstream market is in the Dark Crystal when the regularly priced Neca Skeksis figure comes out in a month or so.

Sideshow is usually good with high-end items. They were kind of burned by the Muppet busts only because there were more affordable figures available at the time. Maybe they would gamble on the Muppets again. The busts are sold out by now.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
I like SIdeshow... I collect all there 12" Star Wars dolls. They are awesome!

muppetperson

Reaction score
I thought the Dark Crystal dolls were great.And another example of Sideshow going into prop replicas is (apart from the above mentioned Chucky replica) the King kong armature replica.

liquiterge

Reaction score
'might be going off topic here, but they need to really get their act together with the 12" figures. They keep using the Buck body for new releases, eventhough Indiana Jones was supposed to be the one to start using the Prometheus body. They keep bumping the prices up on them (especially the Star Wars ones) while giving less accessories. You're better off with something from Hot Toys or Medicom. At least there, there aren't any problems with consistency and the sculpts and bodies are top-notch. How many 12" figures have Sideshow put out with big head syndrome and monkey arms? Jedi Luke, I'm lookin' at you in particular.

Then there's the whole Iron Man 1:1 bust ordeal. How they managed to screw up painting 2 colors and smoothing the surfaces on that thing is beyond me. Sideshow's best work tends to be their Premium Format series and Legendary Scale busts.

If they get the Muppet replicas, I won't pre-order anything until I've seen a lot of good in-hand pictures. I'm mostly wondering how much they'll charge since Sideshow's prices are usually 10-15% more than they should be. This is all coming from a former 1/6 and 1/4 scale collector, not just a Muppet fan.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I thought the Dark Crystal dolls were great.And another example of Sideshow going into prop replicas is (apart from the above mentioned Chucky replica) the King kong armature replica.
Ugh, really? They didn't look much like the gelflings I know from my favorite film - The Dark Crystal. At least, not enough to call them great. Sideshow has done some wonderful Henson stuff to better demonstrate excellence. I've heard more complaints than praise about the Gelfling dolls. They are mostly considered a misstep.

I still believe that Muppet posers would be fantastic in the hands of Sideshow Toys. It is my belief that either Sideshow or FAO (after their recent wild success with the Whatnots) will take on Fozzie Bear.

liquiterge

Reaction score
FAO would be cool. I'm really curious to know just how bad the original Fozzie was. The one that was so bad that he couldn't be shown. If there were tons of complaints about Animal and Gonzo, I wonder how bad Fozzie could've been.