Scariest Muppet Show Moment

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
It's a toupee? Huh, learn something new every day.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yes - I remember that. And at the end of the song Rowlf makes a complaint to the conductor and his reply is 'Play Boy PLay' or something like that.
No offense, Amy, but that doesn't completely answer my question. Was there anything indicating that the band came back or did they just happen to show up in the next episode? Ever since I read that in The Muppet Show Book, I've been sort of confused.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
My scariest moment: Bruce Forsyth's toupee. Terrifying! :smile:
Scariest Moment.. BRUCE FORSYTH HIMSELF!!!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
As a child, I was terrified of the old man dying -- and his ghost getting up and dancing! -- in the "Gambler" production number in the Kenny Rogers episode. He looked so realistic compared to the other Muppets. Ironically, I saw the episode again recently on Time-Life, and he looks so primitive by later Creature Shop standards. You can see how the back of his shirt is sewn into the seat so Jerry's hand can fit through.

I never noticed this till the most recent viewing, but the Gambler puppet is in the background during the closing curtain call. I suppose that was to make kids feel better -- "See? It was all pretend. He's really fine." Actually, if I had noticed this as a kid, I would have been even more terrified. He died in one number, and he's alive again for the curtain call??

Also, the "Lime in the Coconut" is one of the strangest numbers they've ever done. Those eyes on the doctor freak me out. I saw this on a compilation video first, and only recently learned that this number is from -- you guessed it -- the Kenny Rogers episode. What was up with the Company that week? They were in a really strange mood, it seems.

The whole Alice Cooper episode is just creepy/strange from beginning to end.

For that matter, the African masks in the Harry Belafonte number freaked me out as a kid. (No offense intended -- I'm just saying my reaction to it when I was younger.)

There was another episode with realistic Muppets. The guest star, a female singer (Cleo Laine, maybe?) sings some ballad while the one human Muppet watches the other one die in a field. Then we see its spirit float away. Maybe I misread what was going on in that scene, but that's how it seemed to me as a kid. Does anyone know which episode that was?

Joggy

Reaction score
That song was "If" by Cleo Laine and the puppets were built/performed by guest puppeteer Bruce Schwarz. Wonderful song.

My scariest moment is definitely the finale of Mummenschanz. Those faces!!! :eek:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Was Bruce Schwarz the same guy who did the guest puppeteering on the Senor Wences episode?

LadyHyde

Reaction score
You know, Chilly, I think they did the same thing in the Prince episode of "Muppets Tonight". It was actually very beautiful.:embarrassed:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Did what? A very realistic puppet thing? I haven't seen the Prince episode, but it sounds worth seeing. (Keep in mind I'm not a kid anymore!) :wink:

And for that matter, the Chinese puppet thing in the Senor Wences episode -- that scared me too. :stick_out_tongue:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
For some reason, that whole Kermit and Piggy Story tape was very frightening to me.