Scenes from 'Muppet's Vs Las Vegas'

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
Out of curiosity, how does that work to copyright it just by mailing it to yourself? :confused:
I'm in no way an expert about this, but my understanding is that it provides a date that you created it. When you mail it to yourself, the Post Office will stamp the postmark date. Then, you leave the envelope unopened (w/ the script inside). If someone else were to later claim your work as their own, you could pull out the unopened letter (w/ postmark date) as "proof" of the date you "copyrighted" it.

Legally, I doubt this would hold up in any sort of court. The best course of action would be to file with the government for an actual copyright--though that might be expensive and time-consuming.

Any lawyers (or other legal experts) on here who can verify this?

Beebers

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
Out of curiosity, how does that work to copyright it just by mailing it to yourself? :confused:
It just does; I know it seems a bit odd but it's the letter of the law and it'll keep them safe until they copyright it properly, which they MUST do. The poor-man's is your quick protection and your platform from which to sue successfully and rightly for monetary damages should there be any idea theft, until you've filed for a real copyright, which SHOULD NOT BE DELAYED. The poor-man's I'm sure comes from obscure old old protection laws still on the books, possibly from Victorian times; there are many quirky little things like that still around. But it's for real, and it's the first step. I cannot overstress the importance of not posting any more of the script or plot on this forum or anywhere else. Remember, there are tons and tons of invisible lurkers hangin' around who never ever sign on and at least one or two are not going to be above taking someone's stuff.
Please be careful, use your heads, and protect what is yours. lol.

:cool:

Beebers

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
Well, I did some quick research and apparently the "poor man's copyright" doesn't help much.
It's fine till they get the real deal. It's a quick band-aid for quick protection, that's all. lol. And it does hold up in court.

Beebers

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Dunno, but if Beebers says so it is so. Beebers knows everything. We expect her to take over the Ask the Great Fozzini thread in Swedish next. :wink:
LOL

Beebers

Reaction score
JUST MAIL THE DANGED THING! LOL. It's easy enough! And you'll get it right back! Even if it's rough draft, does not matter, just mail it hokay? Geez. And, right now, start looking into getting your real copyright. Right now. Chip in, all 4-5 writers, however many there are, if you need to. Hit up zee parents, rob zee piggybanks, get moving here. I have lots of good friends, professional writers, who used the quick copyright all the time before they could afford not to anymore. They recommend it too, just mail it please. And get your real one quick as you can. lol.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Beebers said:
It just does; I know it seems a bit odd but it's the letter of the law and it'll keep them safe until they copyright it properly, which they MUST do. The poor-man's is your quick protection and your platform from which to sue successfully and rightly for monetary damages should there be any idea theft, until you've filed for a real copyright, which SHOULD NOT BE DELAYED. The poor-man's I'm sure comes from obscure old old protection laws still on the books, possibly from Victorian times; there are many quirky little things like that still around. But it's for real, and it's the first step. I cannot overstress the importance of not posting any more of the script or plot on this forum or anywhere else. Remember, there are tons and tons of invisible lurkers hangin' around who never ever sign on and at least one or two are not going to be above taking someone's stuff.
Please be careful, use your heads, and protect what is yours. lol.

Yes. That is why I only posted the one, no two scenes, and not the song in between.

Also, they are not as important scenes as some.

But anyeay, who cares now? Disney will never make the darn thing.

Bea:cry:regard

dmx10101

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Yes. That is why I only posted the one, no two scenes, and not the song in between.

Also, they are not as important scenes as some.

But anyeay, who cares now? Disney will never make the darn thing.

Bea:cry:regard
You're right, Disney won't make it. Henson would of though.

Beauregard

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
You're right, Disney won't make it. Henson would of though.
Henson wouldn't of, but they might-of. There was a chance there, about 2 to 98% chance. Now theree's about .001 in 99.999% chance.

Dem eet.