Scholastic names "Swamp Years" Best Video of 2002

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Scholastic awarded Swamp Years as one of the best family videos of 2002. What do you guys think of the list? We'd like to hear especially from the parents out there. What products would you add or take away?

Scholastic Parent & Child(R) Magazine Unveils 'Best of 2002' List
Teacher-Approved Toys, Books, Videos and Technology for Kids Highlighted For Holidays
Courtesy of Scholastic Corporation

Scholastic Parent & Child® Magazine, a leading publication for parents, announces its first annual Teacher's Picks: BEST OF 2002 round-up of the best toys, books, videos and technology products that combine both fun and learning. These products were chosen and recommended by teachers, leading education experts, including Kimberly B. Moore Ph.D, a teacher educator and educational consultant in early childhood education and Warren Buckleitner, Editor of Children's Software Revue and the early childhood experts at Parent & Child Magazine.

All the products on the Scholastic Parent & Child Teacher's Picks: BEST OF 2002 list were chosen for their educational value and kid-appeal, and evaluated for overall quality and safety. The BEST OF 2002 products featured are available for holiday gift-giving at The Scholastic Store Online at http://www.ScholasticStore.com and/or other retailers nationwide.

"Just in time for the holidays, we sought out the best products in the marketplace, and assembled a list of gift ideas that parents can trust and kids will love," stated Pam Abrams, Editor-in-Chief of Scholastic Parent & Child Magazine and mother of two. "As experts in early childhood, we recognize that children learn through play. We wanted to provide our readers with a holiday shopping list that would make it easy to pick out not just the latest fad toys, but the really good-for-their-kids stuff, too."

TEACHER'S PICKS: BEST OF 2002 HIGHLIGHTS

BEST OF 2002: TOYS

Dr. Seuss Toys -- The ever-so-popular Dr. Seuss never gets old. His stories continue to delight children with fun lyrical language. Now kids can extend their story-time fun in a more interactive way through great, new Dr. Seuss toys:

* Silly Hats: For the creative child, this zany kit is packed with pinwheels, pipe cleaners, feathers and more. Encourages self expression and imagination. Creativity For Kids, ($16.95), Ages 4-8

* Cat in the Hat Stacking Toy: Crafted of durable wood pieces, this collectable stacking toy challenges a child to find the best way to build the cat's hat. Encourages object manipulation and develops visual discrimination. Jack Rabbit Creations, ($28.95), Ages 1-3

* Character Pillows -- Colorful cotton pillow people with tuggable tops, twistable button noses and expressive faces. Perfect for quiet play or lounging while reading books. Encourages imaginative play and develops fine motor skills. Haba/TC Timber, ($24.95 each), Ages 1-4

* Activity Cart -- A magnetic alphabet, chalkboard, counting beads, sewing cards and shape and peg spaces surround the sides of this compact, all-in-one activity cart. Develops coordination and introduces readiness concepts for reading and writing. Lights Camera Interaction, ($69.95), Ages 2-6

BEST OF 2002: BOOKS

"The House That Jack Built" -- In this famous tale by Caldecott award-winning author Simms Taback, comic images and rhymes collide to create a wonderful collage of a story. Penguin Putnam, ($15.99), Ages 3-8

"Clifford the Big Red Dog(R): Deluxe Anniversary Edition" (by Norman Bridwell) -- This special new colorful collectable edition with textured covered, shares classic stories about Emily Elizabeth's life and friendship with Clifford. Cartwheel Books/Scholastic, ($14.95), Ages 3-6

"When Marian Sang" (by Pam Munoz Ryan) -- Children will be inspired by this exquisitely illustrated picture book, which is a moving tribute to Marian Anderson, the African-American woman who sang on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1939. Scholastic Inc., ($16.96), Ages 5-10

BEST OF 2002: VIDEOS

"Kermit's Swamp Years" -- Everyone's favorite frog tells the tale of his earliest attempt to get out of the swamp. Jim Henson Home Entertainment, ($16.99), Age 4 and up

"Where the Wild Things Are" (and other Maurice Sendak Stories) -- Children will love this artful animation and rhythmic melodies of these wonderful stories being brought to life. Scholastic Inc., ($9.95), Ages 2-8

"The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 25th Anniversary Edition" -- This charming collection of stories, filled with timeless Pooh adventures will enchant Pooh-lovers of all ages. Walt Disney Home Entertainment, ($24.99), Ages 3-8

BEST OF 2002: TECH

I SPY(TM) Challenger Nintendo(R) Game Boy(R) Advance -- This new Game Boy Advance title delivers a valid, brain-twisting educational experience. Encourages logic and visual discrimination skills. Scholastic Consumer Software, ($29.95), Ages 5 and up

The LeapPad Phonics Program -- Consisting of 10 storybooks and four activity books, this phonics series is a favorite of parents for early reading instruction. Encourages letter recognition, letter sounds, and comprehension. LeapPad, ($15 per book), Ages 4-7

Kodak EasyShare LS443 -- Kodak's new flagship camera takes large, crystal clear photos. Although pricey, this is a tech toy the whole family can enjoy. Encourages creative expression. Eastman Kodak Company, Win/Mac; ($500), Ages 5 and up

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021029/nytufns1_1.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, just look at the rest of the list. Silly Hats...? What the...?

Besides, what was the competition,? Big Fat Liar? Who wrote that "Masterpiece"? a drunken Monkey chewing on a type writer?

I gotta see KSY before I can say anything else.

jetjaguar15

Reaction score
I've seen Kermit's Swamp Years..

And to Quote MST3K's "Pod People" episode (a great one!!)...

"It Stinks!"

:frown:

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by jetjaguar15

And to Quote MST3K's "Pod People" episode (a great one!!)...

"He's pretty good isn't he?"

"Good?" *leans forward* he's the best!

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
I loved the Swamp Years, and it's great to see it (or anything else from Henson) get recognized in a positive light.

petrieboy

Reaction score
Winning awards like this is just going to encourage Henson to make more ooey gooey kid stuff, when they could be spending time on REAL Muppet movies.

petrieboy

Reaction score
P.S.
Why do parents baby children so much?
Unless I was just a psycho child, I watched ET and The Dark Crystal when I was 5 and LOVED them... and they are heavy duty films.
Maybe there is some good on the Scholastic list, but I bet a lot of it is mediocre dumbing down.
I think of movies that are great for children but appeal to adults too. The Iranian film "Children of Heaven" The Japanese film "Grave of the Fireflies," The French film "Ponette" The Italian film "Life Is Beautiful" and the British/American film "Harry Potter." Those movies deserve awards.