Schulz/Peanuts Thread

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'll admit that I do draw (for myself) "Underground Peanuts By Kevin Schulz-wanna-be" and that kind of helps me get over nothing new being made. Of course, since they are my ideas ,I do use those same ideas as Muley comics first, but if it fits the characters I'll draw CB and Lucy and Snoopy in their places.

My cousin did not go flying in the air screaming, instead, he slid through the leaves, landed on his back and cried. What bliss! :smile:

I like the idea of new specials, and I'm not totally against reusing the strips; but, as picky as Creative Associates are they could have a new writer or 2 or 3 come in and script new specials. Especially if it's his family or co-workers.

Then again, he didn't want anything done wihtout his own touch, so I say let it alone.

The exciting news is that I've read somewhere that they are to re-issue chronologically the comic strips by decade!! YAY!! A complete encyclopedia of Peanuts strips, and my life is set!!!

Well, I still need all the Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes strip-books.

Kev

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Did you get the... I think it's the 50th Anniversary Celebration Book? It's the big gold one? That's got quite a few Peanuts comics in it. Not all of them, but alot.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I bought that first week on the shelves! LOL!! Now, I find you can get it cheaper. I'm such a "gotta get it now" person. One can lose so much money that way.

FOZ

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Me too! He he!

Those Muppet figures, the first week out a bought the entire series. Well, except with series three, cut now I'm so stinking mad cuz they don't re-stock around here so I missed all but Scooter, which I have.

That Who Framed Roger Rabbit DVD, even tough I know it's going to go down in price within a month, I'm most likely going to buy it sometime this week.

Hehehe! Don't even start on the asking my mother for The Dark Crystal DVD long before owning a DVD player! Which we have both of now.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I bought the 2 cd soundtrack special thingy for Wizard of Oz before I had a cd player.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Can't wait for the Peanuts re-issues. Still don't own all the Calvin and Hobbes books, but since there's a finite number of those, I like spacing 'em out. In other words, since he's not making any new strips, I don't want to get all the books at once. I wanna space them out over the course of several years, so I can savor them.

An even better book than the 50th-anniversary book, for those who don't know, is "Peanuts: The Art of Charles M. Schulz." A lot of rare strips not seen since the 1950s, which hadn't yet been collected in book form.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Great call, Tom!

I bought that book the first day it hit shelves!! LOL!! I LOVE that book. I think it's done so artistically and edited perfectly.

I hope all fans will check out that book.

Another new book I've NOT got yet is "Snoopy on Writing" (I think), and the reason is that there isn't much by Schulz or starring the Peanuts gang, but rather it's a book of essays by authors per my understanding. Anybody got this yet or not? If so, what do you think?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
I bought the 2 cd soundtrack special thingy for Wizard of Oz before I had a cd player.
I bought the Josie and the Pussycats CD before getting a CD player. Still don't have a good working Cd player.

My brother bought Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace DVD before we got a DVD player.

smcguire

Reaction score
Okay, Muley pointed me in the direction of this thread, which I was previously unaware of even though I am huge Peantus and Muppets fan. I only read some of the MC forums and this isn't one of my regulars!

For background, I maintain a comprehensive web guide to the Peanuts TV shows and I'm touch with the folks who create the TV shows and other folks in the Peanuts world fairly regularly. My web page is at:

http://web.mit.edu/smcguire/www/peanuts-tv.html

So, a few comments:

* The "A Charlie Brown Christmas" musical isn't a done deal, despite the PR on the Strawberry Productions website. As of last month, anyway, rights and such were still being negotiated and I haven't heard that they've been finalized. So Strawberry Productions has kind of jumped the gun with the press release and setting up tour dates. I'll check in and see if I can get an update.

* The comprehensive reprint series of all the Peanuts comic strips is also not a done deal, although it's certainly something all parties would like to see happen. It's going to be a couple of years away at best, regardless.

* "Snoopy's Guide to the Writing Life" is an excellent book. It has tons of those very funny strips about Snoopy as a writer, plus lots of essays from famous writers about writing based on themes introduced by the strips. They're for the most part interesting and funny. I definitely recommend this one.

* A new strip-based TV special, "Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown!" should air in very late spring or summer. It's got a baseball theme.

* Both "The Gospel According to Peanuts" and "The Parables of Peanuts" are still in print and can be ordered from Amazon or other places like that, and probably you can easily find used copies on eBay.

I'd like to see new original TV specials done as well - I think you could round up some folks who would treat the material with the respect it deserves - but currently that's not in the cards.

Okay I think that's enough for now! :wink:

--Scott McGuire