script writing program

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Sorry to be late to this thread, but I haven't been reading the forum as much lately.

The other big Hollywood program is Movie Magic Screenwriter. You can get a free demo at this link.

This is the program I use. It has many different script formats built in, and is totally customizable as well.

Software programs are like religions... people have very strong beliefs that one is better than another.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an alternative to Final Draft.

:stick_out_tongue:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Is Movie Magic cheaper?

Sorry, I'm just being lazy and not looking it up myself.

Blink

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Is Movie Magic cheaper?

Sorry, I'm just being lazy and not looking it up myself.
I just looked it up.

Both are around the $225.00 range, but it would seem that Final Draft has a bit more in terms of additional "support items". There is a DVD and other add ons for Final Draft. Not sure if theye are needed, but that is what I gathered. Final drafts seems to be about $4.00 more.

Personally I just use Microsoft Word.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You really should give the Final Draft (or Movie Magic) demo a try. I don't know if you need to / want to write in proper TV or film script format but most once people get used to using a script writing program they love it and don't go back.

Cost is a factor of course, but then RoughDraft is a pretty good free option.

mrhogg

Reaction score
Sophocles (sophocles.net) is also a pretty good, pretty cheap screenwriting application. They're in beta for v2 (which is very nice), but v1 is also good, and only $120 US. There's a trial that lets you do everything but print and export to pdf without a watermark.

MGov

Reaction score
I've used both Movie Magic and Final Draft. I own Movie Magic. It seems a little more intuitive to me. When I used FD, it didn't export to PDF. MMS also updates automatically. When I went from Mac OS 9 to OSX, didn't cost me anything to update it and the update was just a download. There was a version of Final Draft that had some serious bugs in it (vers. 7?)

But yeah, when you you spend your money on something like this, it gets a little religious-like.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I export scripts as PDFs in Final Draft 6, but I have Acrobat Pro. Does Movie Magic have PDF exporting built in?

puppetise

Reaction score
hey guyz what do you think about writting the storry then turning it into a script and add music and such would that work well

sleepylagoon

Reaction score
here ya go

:big_grin: Ok just browsing forums and I have a great new scriptwriting program for totally free too . . .
its called Celtx and could be found at their website(just add .com)