Seriously, Sesame Workshop? Where are your lawyers?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Really. They go after people who post their videos on youtube, but not this?

Yet another one of the completely illegal Walk-a-Bout costume of one of their characters (Cookie Monster) got in trouble, this time injuring a child because the father had to get money to pay for one of these thugs who force you to take pictures. I don't have a link, since it was on actual TV news. But seriously? I've heard these guys are a menace. Sure, I can respect that there's no work out there... but how come these entertainment companies, who are absurdly protective of their copyrights, let these costumed brutes harass tourists?

I'm sure these guys aren't all jerks, but all it takes is one to spoil it for everyone. Still... we are talking about the same entertainment industry that wanted to sue a Grandma because her grandkid illegally downloaded one song, right?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In the last couple of years or so, somebody here posted a photo of Jim's business ethics, where he specifically mentions how wrong and embarrassing it is to them that people would walk around in Big Bird costumes at fairs, theme parks, circuses, etc.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This reminds me of that 30 Rock episode where the those knock-off Sesame characters attack Chris on the street because he starts his business where they're standing.

But seriously, I can't believe Disney, Sesame and other companies don't do something about this.

Hopefully this story will get people to stay away from those crazy people..

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hopefully this story will get people to stay away from those crazy people..
They kinda gang you and force you to take pictures. You can try to avoid them, that's the best you can do.

You know what the worst thing is? DC and Marvel went after legitimate party companies (somewhere if you're nasty to kids, you actually could be held accountable for) that offer their characters illegally.

Of course, if they were to go after people who walk around in costumes, there is a chance they'd interfere with Co-splayers if there's a convention. Of course, those guys are usually nice, and not only do they not charge you for pictures, if you ask to take their pictures, that's a huge compliment to them.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Speaking as a con costume walkabout-er, yes, we like posing for photos, and take it as a compliment when people say they want a picture to remember our getup with. However, we're within the con, where you can't swing a cat without hitting five costumes, and con-goers know what to expect and how to behave. Nobody's gonna be pushy for photo ops or asking for money, and of course it's plain that these are fan homages, labors of love, not people ripping off trademarked characters for their own gain.

Frankly, the copyright owners would have to be bleedin' insane to go after con costumers. If they got the people walking around in costumes and charging for photos, by all means release the hounds.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Actually Slackbot i recently read an article about Toei Animation went after a DBZ cosplayer because he cosplayed as a character from a movie that is coming out soon
..i dont know about the outcome though

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course, if they were to go after people who walk around in costumes, there is a chance they'd interfere with Co-splayers if there's a convention.
What did you say? :excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've been saying this for ages, I hate when I see naive parents letting their kids hug or take pictures with those people.

New York City is not Disney World, people. You need to be careful and use some common sense, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Growing up in Philly, it really IS hard to avoid certain kinds of people. Some people really will just do whatever and demand payment whether or not you consented to it. Although Philly isn't really as bad as New York like that. The worst I've seen is beggers that will hound you until you give them money or just follow you trying to sell something.

The thing is, most people just give in and pay them. If more people actually stood up to these guys, less of them would be out there

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been saying this for ages, I hate when I see naive parents letting their kids hug or take pictures with those people.

New York City is not Disney World, people. You need to be careful and use some common sense, lol.
Don't they kinda accost you and almost force you to take pictures? Sounds like they're kind of hard to avoid.