Sesame character parents:the controversy

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the Sesame characters' parents inconsistant, especially in books?

Toughpigs has some insight on this
http://toughpigs.com/journalscavenger03b.htm
I have seen Numerous different Elmo's Parents, including ones that are the same Puppet with different hair styles and such. but then there are the numerous book ones. In one book his father looks like he has Telly shaped head, a triangle nose, but the same color scheme as Elmo.

Then there are a million variations on Grovers Mom...

And of course, Herry's Family looks nothing like they do in the show.

Is this becasue the book artists never get any refference material and have to make the characters up????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thijs

Reaction score
Yes, it's an interesting article. Especially all those Herry parents. As you can see on our site, there is only one version of Herry's family. All those drawings are problably made by non-SS-interested drawers.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yeah. There's a whole debate about that on the 'toughpigs' website.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
All those drawings are problably made by non-SS-interested drawers.
LOL! Actually, they're all drawn by individuals who have been drawing Sesame Street since before most of us were even alive :wink:

fuzzyandblue

Reaction score
>Guys,
>Probably lack of reference.

I'd have to agree. I have a friend who illustrated a Fraggle book way back when, and he said he was given somewhat limited references. Luckily, his kids watched the show, so he knew how to "fill in the blanks". :0)

Yes --I've seen Elmo's parents different colors (his mommy's arms are orange in a book my daughter has) and with different names.
What always really annoyed me was the calendar in each issue of Sesame Street Magazine --how the character birthdays and such didn't match up with those listed on the SS wall calendars I had. Come on editorial department!! How hard is that double check?

Steph:0)

Skeeter8

Reaction score
Well, according to the pictures in the link provided, Grover's mom basically looks like Grover. It's only her hair that changes. Don't forget that women (and I guess female monsters too) change their hairstyles quite often!!!!

fuzzyandblue

Reaction score
>It's only her hair that changes. Don't forget that women (and I guess female monsters too) change their hairstyles quite often!!!!

hahahaha So maybe they get the urge to dye their fur a new and daring color every so often too! hee hee

Skeeter8

Reaction score
But another question is: Why do the parent monsters wear clothes (especially moms) while the child monster is in his/her birthday suit?

Thijs

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter8
But another question is: Why do the parent monsters wear clothes (especially moms) while the child monster is in his/her birthday suit?
That's the same question as "Why does Donald Duck never wear pants, except when he goes swimming."