Sesame Seeds: "That Time Is Now"

muppetwriter

Reaction score
From the writer (or muppetwriter) of "The MARVELOUS Mini's", here is "Sesame Seeds" (a series of short stories tied in with "Sesame, DC"). Enjoy!:wisdom:

Part One​

Larissa Thomas and Teressa Thomas were fellow Metropolis detectives of their adopted sibling, Sean Thomas. After the loss of Alissa "Lori" Thomas to a maniacal criminal, the three only had each other to protect them from the scum that they busted on the streets. Being detectives was undoubtedly the toughest jobs they have ever had; but at the end of the day, the thought of fighting an endless battle for truth, justice, and the American way was worth it. That was especially the case when it meant protecting their friends from Sesame Street, the one place where crime was least suspected of happening.

But currently the siblings had split up, ever since Sean had departed for Gotham City with Oscar the Grouch and Count von Count. Neither Larissa nor Teressa knew why Sean would go to such a dangerous city—they figured that it had to do with keeping the two characters out of trouble. They did, however, know that it was important to get him out of the city, before he ended up falling under the same fate as Lori.

After doing some heavy investigating on the whereabouts of their sibling, the two women traveled to Gotham by bus, not wanting to risk taking Larissa's Porsche out in the dark territory. And they did not go alone either. By request, Bob and Linda asked to go along with the two. And as much as they tried to refuse, there was just no convincing the two Sesame Street residents.

“We’ll be fine.” Bob told them before leaving, signing his words in front of Linda for her to understand. “We’ve handled worse before.”

Curiously, Larissa asked them, “Like what?"

Linda then made an angry face to which Bob explained, “Like a big grouch named Oscar.” And all of them laughed.

Once they all arrived in Gotham City, they realized just how moody of a place it was. The sight of the homeless gathered in several sections of the bus station was a horrifying sight to behold. The air was quite foul, not just from the homeless, but mostly from the smog that shrouded the atmosphere of the city itself. It was smog that had been polluting the air for decades.

‘No wonder Oscar enjoys this place.’ Linda signed to Bob.

The group took a taxi over to the one place where Elmo, who was with the crime-solving team known as Mystery Inc. on his trip to Gotham, said that Sean, Oscar, and Count could be found: Wayne Manor. It was the home of millionaire, Bruce Wayne, and his trustworthy butler and friend, Alfred Pennyworth. For such a long time in the city, it seemed rather odd to the group for the three to spend it there.

Upon coming to the manor, they were surprised to see how gigantic it looked in person. It was no surprise that the richest man in Gotham lived there. But it was a shock knowing that he even lived in a place like Gotham. Bruce Wayne could have been anywhere around the world. But of all places, he had chosen to live in that area. To each his own, the group thought. Perhaps he thinks he can change the city—put it back in the shape that it once was.

Larissa rang the doorbell near, and just as soon after she had done so, the door opened and Alfred Pennyworth himself was revealed. “Might I help you?" he asked them, with a dignified British accent.

“Uh, hello.” Larissa said, extending her hand out to Alfred. “My name is Larissa Thomas, this is my sister Teressa, and these are our friends, Bob and Linda. We heard that our brother, Sean, and our friends, Oscar the Grouch and Count von Count, had been living here in the manor.”

Alfred suspiciously looked left and right at the people before him. “I do not know anyone by the name of Sean, and I most certainly do not know anyone by those outlandish names. My apologizes.” He was just about to close the door, until Teressa stuck her black Go-go boot out and stopped it with great force.

“Somehow I get the feeling you’re lying to us.” Teressa said. “We have folks back in Metropolis who tell us differently.”

“Well, I am certain that those ‘folks’ haven’t the slightest idea what they are talking about.” Alfred remarked. “No one goes by those names here. Only Master Bruce and myself…that is all.”

Alfred attempted to remove Teressa's boot from the doorway, but she pressed it down harder on the floor, making it much more difficult to move. “I wouldn’t mess with my boot if I were you.” She said in a stern tone.

“Teressa…easy.” Larissa told her, before returning her attention to Alfred. “Okay. So if our brother and friends aren’t here, then I’m certain we can talk with Bruce Wayne.”

“I’m sorry, but he is away at the moment, handling important business.” Alfred said. “I am afraid that whatever message you have for him, you will have to leave it with me.”

Teressa mockingly chuckled, while rolling up the sleeves of her black leather jacket. “Oh, I’ll be happy to leave a message that you can both share.” Knowing she was about to do something violent, Larissa immediately jumped in and held her back.

“Relax, sis.” She whispered to her, and after a moment of hesitation, Teressa did as she was told. “Listen, Mister…”

“You may call me Mister Pennyworth, madam.” Alfred snootily remarked.

“Alright, Mister Pennyworth.” Larissa said, somewhat mocking him. “Just tell Mister Wayne that the Thomas detectives stopped by with Bob and Linda to see Sean, Count, and Oscar.”

“Now how am I supposed to explain to Master Bruce who all those strangers are?" Alfred inquired.

Larissa smirked at the suspicious butler. “I’m certain you can think of something creative.” She then winked at him, which threw him off a little, before leaving the premises with Teressa, Bob, and Linda.

“Okay, so you want to explain to me why we had him leave a message to a guy who apparently doesn’t know who we’re talking about?" Teressa asked Larissa.

Larissa looked back towards the doorway, where Alfred continued to watch them go until he finally closed the door. “You were right about Mr. Belvedere back there, sis. He was lying right to our faces.”

“How can you girls tell?" Bob asked.

“Trust me, we’ve interrogated enough people to know whether they are lying or not.” Teressa replied. “And that guy was definitely lying his butt off.”

Bob turned to Linda, who started to wave her hands and fingers around in the air. ‘But what reason does he have to lie?" she signed.

“Linda wants to know why he would lie.” Bob told the detectives.

“That’s what we’re going to find out, Bob…I mean, Linda…I mean…” Larissa said, before giving herself a slight headache.

Bob laughed over her despair. “It’s okay, Larissa. I know what you mean.”

“Well, I don’t.” Teressa stated. “How exactly are we going to find out? Hardly anyone here knows Sean, Oscar, and Count. Whom would we turn to for that information?"

“Not whom, Teressa…but what.” Larissa said.

Teressa just stared at her for a long moment, before shaking her head and saying, “Alright…you sound like a really messed up episode of Lost right now.”

“You’re a detective, Teressa. Think about it.” Larissa stated. “All we have to do is check all the locations that little Elmo told us about during his trip here, starting with the Arkham Asylum.”

“An asylum?" Teressa reacted with surprise. “Poor little fella. It must’ve been a nightmare for him to experience all that insanity.”

“Actually, he said it was rather interesting.” Larissa said with a smirk.

“Elmo’s still very young and doesn’t know much about asylums or the reason people are there.” Bob informed. “It’s actually fortunate that it seemed like an interesting experience for him, because who knows how it would’ve turned out if he was aware of what was happening all around him.”

Larissa and Teressa nodded in understanding, while Linda signed to Bob, ‘So are we going to go to Arkham Asylum?"

“Linda wants to know if Arkham is our next destination.” Bob translated.

Larissa took a deep breath, pondering over the thought of visiting such a gruesome place. But if they were going to find Sean and their friends, then they would have to find the courage to get through the same experience Elmo went through. If he can do it, then the rest of us surely can, Larissa thought.

“Well, sis, you heard…er…saw Linda.” Teressa said. “What’s our next move?"

“We’re going to Arkham.” Larissa said, before reaching into the pocket of her pale green hipster pants and pulling out her cell phone. “And while we’re on our way there, we can make a list of all the other spots they went during their time here.”

While Larissa dialed the numbers on her cell phone, she and the others dashed back to the taxicab and headed on their way to Arkham Asylum. From the window of a room located on the fifth floor of the manor, Alfred opened the curtains to watch the visitors leave in the taxi. As soon as they were out of his sight, he moved away from the window and turned to two figures standing in the room: Sean Thomas and Bruce Wayne.

“Are they gone?" Bruce asked him.

Alfred nodded with a grin as he said, “Hook, line, and sinker, Master Thomas.”

Bruce smiled at Alfred and then turned his focus on Sean. “Why are you avoiding your sisters and friends?"

“Because I’m not ready to go back to Metropolis yet.” Sean said. “I still have work to do here in Gotham.”

“You mean ‘The Joker’?" Bruce inquired.

Sean was a bit hesitant to confirm Bruce’s suspicion. Instead of answering, he just paced around the room nervously. “Detective Thomas, you just had me lie to two of the most prominent people in your life. With all due respect, I believe Master Bruce and I deserve an explanation for your secrecy.”

Thomas took a deep breath and the finally said, “I believe I’m coming close to finding my sister’s killer.”

Bruce and Alfred exchanged curious glances. Now it was all starting to make sense to them. “And you think it’s this ‘Joker’ that the police have been after for some time now.” Bruce asked.

“I don’t think, Bruce…I know.” Sean answered, as he moved to the window and looked out at the partially sunny afternoon sky. “I’ve seen his face…studied it enough to make the match. He is the exact same guy who I watched gun down my sister in cold blood.” He moved away from the window and looked towards Bruce with a glare that the millionaire was all too familiar with. “And I’m not letting him get away from me, Bruce. Even if it gets me killed, I am going to avenge my sister’s death.”

Bruce understood exactly how the detective felt. It was just the same way he felt every day about his parents’ death. Although Joe Chill—the man responsible—was dead, he still held that grudge against every criminal just like Chill out in the streets of Gotham. But as a man with a conscience, he also felt the need to talk Sean out of what might as well have been a suicide mission.

“Think rationally about what you’re planning on doing, Sean.” Bruce said. “This Joker is a very dangerous criminal. He’s not like many of the criminals who you have…”

“Don’t talk to me like a vigilante, Bruce!" Sean angrily snapped. “I know what I’m doing! I’ve been a police officer for four years! This guy killed my sister! And I am not going to let him get away with that!"

“Sean, just listen to me…”

“No, Bruce! I’m through listening! And I’m through worrying about my sisters finding out about this! I’m going to go out there and find the punk without you or anybody else!" And with that said, Sean stormed out of the room, leaving Bruce and Alfred behind to exchange cautious glances.

TO BE CONTINUED...​

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Talk about a curveball. Good beginning... And mayhaps this would serve as a Sesame/DC Batman 2 The Dark Knight crossover you might be more comfortable with. Course, this is just the short lead-in story to that, but you never know. Thanks for starting this one, already love it and want more please.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Thanks, Count.

The truth is that I really didn't intend on having the story take place in Gotham. I actually was originally going to set it in Sesame Street, so that we have more focus on the neighborhood again (the last time we had, it was in "The Superman At the End of this Story").

But I figured Gotham would be the perfect backdrop for this story, since it is where we will be coming back in the series and gives a perfect opportunity to set up plenty of action. By the next four parts, you will read about characters from the new Dark Knight film (i.e. Harvey Dent, Commissioner Gordon--who will be lieutenant in the series' continuity, and others).

To be honest, I would love for this to be the actual crossover. But I have yet to see the movie or read the novelization, so I wouldn't know where to go with my own plot for my version of it. That's why I went ahead and gave the big revelation that The Joker is the "possible" killer of Lori Thomas, which I planned on keeping secret until the story got posted.

I promise that Beth and Alex's characters will be introduced in the next part, along with some familiar friends from the street.:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Well I must say I can't wait to read the next part, and not just because I'm making my debut, but also to see what happens next! I'm in suspense!

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Much of the information in this next part about Harvey Dent came from this newspaper headline.:wisdom:

Part Two​

Larissa, Teressa, Bob, and Linda were not the only ones coming through Gotham City that day. On a bus that headed out of Metropolis shortly after theirs, Daily Planet reporters Beth and Alex Thomas—the cousins of Larissa, Teressa, and Sean—had arrived near City Hall with fellow journalists, Bert and Ernie. They were there to handle coverage on the campaign of assistant district attorney, Harvey Dent, who seemed to have been generating quite a buzz in Metropolis as well.

At the front steps of the Gotham City Hall, a crowd had gathered near there to listen to Dent himself, who stood at a podium in front a large poster that had his face on the foreground and the American flag in the back with the words “I Believe in Harvey Dent!" superimposed on it. Dent was giving his campaign speech to the crowd, which was the same one he had been giving all over the city in the past few months of the election.

“Gotham City deserves justice! Our city has been overrun with corrupt police officers for far too long!" Dent exclaimed to the cheers of everyone in the crowd. “We are supposed to be protected by these so-called ‘city’s finest’! But instead, we are living in fear each day, because we have no idea just what they might do next to ruin our security any further! Well that ends now!"

While the crowd roared with applause, the reporters from The Daily Planet were doing what they had done best…taking notes and pictures. “He sure is an inspirational fellow, isn’t he?" Ernie asked, as he took pictures.

“Making thirty-five percent votes in the polls is no joke.” Beth said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Harvey Dent actually won this little campaign of his.”

“You want to know something else that isn’t a joke," Bert began, “His fight against crime in the city. He’s been working real hard with the Gotham P.D., not to mention Batman, to find this Joker character.”

Beth turned to her sister, who was taking pictures along with Ernie. “What do you think, Alex?"

Through the viewfinder, all Alex could really focus on was what had been behind Dent the whole time, which was his campaign poster. The bright colors of it had really caught her interest, and she couldn’t help but to capture it all on camera. She was barely paying any attention to what the others were talking about.

Beth, assuming that Alex was only focused more on her work, focused her attention back on the stage where Harvey Dent continued his speech. “Every cop that turns the other way for a little extra cash is betraying us. Every official more concerned with his own political future than the public safety is betraying us. And every district attorney too weak or too scared to really take on organized crime is betraying us!" Dent’s speech became heated with each word he uttered, and the crowd interrupted him with applause at least what felt like nineteen times to Beth.

“I can’t tell if he’s playing district attorney or Batman himself.” She said.

“Let’s hope it’s not the latter.” Bert told her.

All of the sudden, one member of the crowd came out and verbally attacked Dent by saying, “You have no positive plan for Gotham, Mr. Dent! You’re just an angry man on a witch-hunt to take down good cops to feed on your own lust for power!"

“Sir, may I ask you a personal question?" Dent uttered on stage. “Are you a representative of Roger Garcetti’s election team?"

Dent’s remark to the man’s attack made much of the crowd bust out in laughter. The only ones who were not laughing as much were the Daily Planet reporters and the man himself. Watching the exchange from a distance, Beth and Bert collectively made the assumption that the man was in fact a representative or supporter of Roger Garcetti, who had been leading in the polls with five more percentage than Harvey Dent.

“He’s got a lot of courage coming out here and saying all that.” Beth commented.

Ernie made sure that he caught a photo of the man with his camera as he started to leave the crowd, feeling upset, embarrassed, and defeated. “Poor guy. I hope he doesn’t take all of this too personally.”

“Ernie, when it comes to politics, you have to take things personally.” Bert stated. “It’s all part of gaining interest from the voters.”

“Yeah, but, Bert…that guy looked so upset after Mr. Dent teased him.” Ernie said. “Did he really have to embarrass him like that? I mean, couldn’t he have just said, ‘You’re right, sir. I am angry, but I promise I won’t let my anger get in the way of making Gotham City a safer place to live.”

Ernie’s words caught Alex’s attention and really intrigued her. “Man, Ernie…that was…inspirational.”

“For real, Ern.” Beth added. “Maybe you should be up there with Dent…or at least taking his place.”

Bert let out a bleating laugh. “Ernie? A politician? That’ll be the day! W-What would his campaign slogan be? ‘Vote for Ernie and His Rubber Duckie’?"

Ernie scratched his head a little, pondering over Bert’s teasing words, mistaking them for actual ideas. “Hey, that’d be brilliant, Bert, old buddy. And you could be my manager. Instead of handing out ballots, everybody can vote on bottle caps.” He then chuckled over his own idea while Bert frowned, realizing that all of his teasing was pointless to a literal character like Ernie.

Meanwhile, outside of the crowd, the Garcetti representative had continued walking away, just as another man passed by him, walking towards the crowd. It was Sean Thomas, who had just arrived in the city by taxicab. He was still focused heavily on searching for the man who murdered his beloved sister. But at the same time, he was being careful not to let his friends and sisters, who were in the city at the same time he was, recognized him. So he went out wearing a long dark blue trenchcoat, with the collar up and covering most of his face, and a black fedora.

I look like something out of the nineteen-thirties, he thought, as he walked into the crowd and joined in on listening to Harvey Dent’s speech.

Beth spotted the shrouded stranger as he entered the scene, recognizing him only slightly. She turned to her friends and pointed to him. “Does that guy look familiar to you all?"

Ernie, Bert, and Alex turned their attention away from their activities and looked to where Beth had been looking. They noticed the stranger just as she had and even felt the same way about him. He did in fact look familiar…very familiar to them all.

“Should he?" Ernie curiously asked.

“What do you mean ‘should he’, Ernie?" Bert remarked. “Either he does or he doesn’t.” Bert then stopped for a moment and realized himself, “Uh…Ha, ha…should he?"

Alex took her camera and aimed it towards the stranger, zooming in heavily on his face. No matter how much she put her view into focus, she could not identify the man through her camera. “I don’t have any clue who this dude might be.” She moved her camera away from her eyes and looked towards Beth. “Who do you think he is, sis?"

“I don’t…know.” Beth said, not once looking away from the man. All of her focus on Harvey Dent went away as soon as this stranger arrived. “He just reminds me of someone we know…like a member of the family.”

“Our family or someone else’s?" Alex inquired. “Because from where I’m standing, he looks like a member of the mafia.”

Bert’s unibrow went up as a sudden thought crossed his mind. “Oh, no! He might be an assassin! H-He might be here to hurt Mr. Dent!"

“Bert, you’ve been watching too much television.” Ernie said.

Then Beth suddenly noticed how the stranger began to walk towards Harvey Dent and had the same suspicions as Bert. “Then again…you might have something there.” She started walking away from Bert, Ernie, and Alex, heading towards the stranger in the trenchcoat and fedora.

While she was slowly and cautiously approaching the stranger, she noticed how he was reaching into his trenchcoat and pulling something out. Beth’s first intention was that he was pulling out a gun. Bert was right, she thought. This guy is definitely going to kill Dent! Her hands started shaking, and her body was quivering. A murder was about to take place right before her very eyes…unless she had done something to stop it.

Never the one to be the heroic type, Beth had almost backed away from the stranger, not wanting to get herself killed. But she did have a conscience of things, and her conscience was telling her right now that stopping this assassin would be the right thing to do for the sake of Harvey Dent. So she tightened her fists, bit her lip, and decided that it was either now or never.

“HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, BUDDY!" She screamed, and everyone around her suddenly stopped in silence, turning her direction as she lunged at the stranger in the fedora and trenchcoat.

Screams filled the air and people started to run in all directions—bumping into one another in the process—as Beth tackled the stranger to the ground. His hat flew off his head upon hitting the ground, revealing his long, brown hair. Beth turned his body and forced him to face her. She got a good look at his face—the face of a blue-eyed, Caucasian male who she had never seen before.

“Who are you?" She asked him.

The man was nearly on the verge of tears as he stammered, “I-I’m j-just a c-cameraman, l-lady.” She looked to the object that he had pulled out of his trenchcoat, which was not a gun as she had first believed…but a simple camera—much like the one Alex was holding.

“Oh, no.” She uttered, and then smiled nervously at the cameraman, as she helped him to his feet. “My bad.”

He looked at her for a moment and then ran off, obviously frightened. “Mama told me never to come to this stupid place!"

“Sis!" Alex shouted, as she, Bert, and Ernie dashed over to Beth. “Dude, what were you thinking? That was demented!"

“I thought he had a gun.” Beth sheepishly admitted.

“Oh, no…it was Bert who thought he had a gun.” Ernie corrected.

“No, I didn’t, Ernie.” Bert contradicted. “I thought he was an assassin. I didn’t say he had a gun.”

“Oh, no. I heard you loud and clear, Bert, old buddy.” Ernie said. “You said, ‘He might have a gun! He must be here to hurt Mr. Dent! That’s what I heard.”

“Ernie, as usual, you were not listening to me.” Bert angrily said. “What I said was that the fella might’ve been an assassin. I didn’t not say gun!"

While Bert and Ernie were bickering back and forth, Harvey Dent suddenly appeared near the group, approaching Beth directly. Upon noticing his sudden appearance, Beth rolled her eyes in disgust and said, “Mr. Dent, I am so sorry. I just thought that he…my friend said…I just…Oh, dear!"

“It’s quite alright, ma’am.” Harvey calmly said. “As a matter of fact, that’s the type of action that I’d love to see the citizens of Gotham take more of nowadays.”

Beth was very surprised to find out how less of trouble she was in for her wild behavior. “Really?" She said before realizing that she wasn’t what Dent thought she was. “I mean…I’m not a citizen of Gotham City. I’m just a common reporter here to do a story on your campaign.”

“A story, eh?" Dent said with a smile. “Well, uh…how about we discuss everything over dinner…tonight?"

Beth’s eyes widened with surprise. The assistant district attorney of Gotham was asking her out on a date, without even using the word “date.” And just as she was about to respond to his proposal, Alex started coughing ferociously (but mostly mockingly), and in between the coughs she uttered, “She’s married!"

“Oh!" Dent said, hearing the words through all the coughing. “I’m sorry. I thought…”

“No, it’s okay.” Beth said, while glaring in Alex’s direction. “I’m not married.” Beth turned her head away from her sister, just in time for her sister to stick her tongue out at her without being seen. “I’d be happy to join you this evening, Mr. Dent.”

Harvey smiled. “Wonderful. I’ll have my people pick you up. Where are you currently staying?"

As Beth was giving the name of the hotel to Dent, Ernie continued taking pictures of the area, which was clearing out from the sudden disturbance. Through his viewfinder, he spotted one particular person who was dressed the same way the cameraman was. This person’s face turned in the direction of Ernie and his camera, giving him a clear shot of the man’s identity.

Ernie unknowingly captured an image of the man’s face on his camera, just as Bert noticed him doing so. “Ernie! What are you doing wasting film? You need to start taking some photos of something more…” Bert suddenly stopped once he noticed the image appearing on Ernie’s digital camera. The face on there was clear enough for the two Muppets to make out who it was.

“Sean?" they both said in unison, and they looked to where he once stood before disappearing from the area.

TO BE CONTINUED....​

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... You're on the right track here... Picking up the stuff from the cyberized version of GC that's been put up by WB in promotion of the movie. There's another one of GCPD HQ where you can play as a Joker clown sneaking in to open the evidencelocker safe. Me liking it all so far... Post more please!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I work with Ernie and Bert! I love that! And Alex as my sister, very cool. And the scene with jumping the cameraman, too funny! And now she's got a date...oh I'm anxious to read the next part!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Some changes were just added, hope this is what the author wanted and the story can continue soonish. :batty:

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Part Three​

Larissa, Teressa, Bob, and Linda arrived in Arkham Asylum a couple of hours after they had departed from Wayne Manor. The place was like nothing they had ever seen before: unsanitary, foul smelling, and full of disturbed individuals. It was not the average asylum that they had seen before. This asylum was like h*ll on Earth. It still amazed them all that Elmo, their own friend from Sesame Street, had even visited that place with the meddling kids of Mystery Inc.

Bob held Linda close to him, as the director of the asylum, Dr. Harleen Quinzel, led them down a hallway and pass several locked doors, which contained several murderers and serial killers. “This is where we keep the most dangerous patients of the asylum. Some of them have been here longer than others. Most were put here recently…by the Batman.” Her voice was almost deadpan, having an eerie, chilling tone to it. The current visitors of the asylum could not have expected anything less from someone who hung around psychos most of her career.

“Uh…Dr. Quinn?" Larissa spoke up.

“That is Dr. Quinzel, Detective Thomas.” She told her.

Larissa could not have cared less. “Right…listen…since we arrived here, all you’ve been giving us are facts detailing the history of the asylum. We just came here to find out where our brother and friend, Sean Thomas, is.”

“For real.” Teressa said, sounding very frustrated. “I didn’t come here for no tour.”

Quinzel stared at them for a long time, before showing off a creepy grin and saying, “Detective Thomas asked to be led down this area of the asylum, just a few months ago. He asked for our records on one interesting patient whom I have had the pleasure in rehabilitating for quite a while.”

“What’s his name?" Bob asked.

“Our records do not have a name listed for him.” Quinzel replied. “Only an alias.”

“Okay, then what’s his alias?" Larissa inquired.

Quinzel was quiet for a long, uncomfortable time and then she said the name, “Joker.”

Their eyes widened with shock. They had heard stories—horrible stories—about a psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy having been terrorizing the streets of Gotham since the incident involving a toxic gas that had plagued the one area that the four visitors from Metropolis just happened to be in (they needed a special escort to get into the building, in order to avoid any infected subjects on the street). The fact that Sean Thomas—the very man who they had been searching for—was going after “The Joker” made their skins crawl.

“Did he say why he’s going after him?" Larissa asked.

“No," Quinzel said, “He only mentioned that it was ‘Police Business’ and information on his investigation had been deemed ‘classified’.”

Teressa could not help but to get a little upset over Quinzel’s lack of common sense. “And you just let him walk on out of here, without stopping him? You know how dangerous this Joker guy is, and you just let my brother walk on out of here to find him, with a one hundred percent chance of getting killed?"

“It’s not as simple as you believe it to be, Detective.” Quinzel stated.

“Oh, it’s not?" Teressa said, her voice growing louder. “What kind of psychiatrist are you, anyway? I bet you’re the type who takes pleasure in seeing how demented and twisted your patients here are!" Larissa tried several opportunities to calm Teressa down, but her anger had reached a point to where there was no reasoning with her.

Quinzel just stood and watch her rant, nodding in agreement with just about everything she was saying. “I guess you can say that I am. A psychiatrist must always find some type of bond with their patients. It helps create an atmosphere of trust and respect.”

“Oh, you have got to be freakin’ kidding me!" Teressa exclaimed.

“Sounds like a reasonable approach to me.” Bob voiced his opinion. “I mean, how else could these patients learn how to get well, if they’re not being properly taken care of by their caretakers?"

Teressa rolled her eyes and turned to Bob saying, “This is an asylum! These doctors are supposed to treat the patients like crap!" She then returned her attention back to Quinzel, continuing her ranting. “Sadists like you are the reason I’m voting for a guy like Harvey Dent! Someone who could find better help to keep this place and all the people here straight!" She then pointed an angry finger at her and said in conclusion, “You don’t need to be running this asylum…YOU SHOULD BE AN INMATE HERE!"

And with that said, she stormed out of the corridor, leaving the others behind with a not-so-intimidated Harleen Quinzel. Larissa rubbed the bridge of her nose and sighed with exasperation before turning her focus to Bob and Linda. “Bob, go after here and make sure she doesn’t get lost in this place, will ya?"

“Sure. No problem.” Bob said.

As he started walking away with Linda by his side, she signed to him: ‘I’m sure glad that she asked. I couldn’t stand another minute in this place.’

‘You and me both," Bob signed.

Meanwhile, Larissa turned back to Quinzel and was about to apologize for her sister’s behavior, until the doctor rose up a hand in protest. “No need, Detective. I get that reaction all the time. It’s just part of the job.” Then she turned and had her back facing Larissa. “Would you…follow me for a moment? There’s something that I wish to show you.”

Larissa found it a little awkward that she didn’t ask her straight to her face, but did her best to just ignore it. “Um…sure. But I really can’t stay for a while. I have to go find out where my brother is before he winds up getting himself into serious danger.”

“It won’t take more than a minute, Detective.” Quinzel said, before leading Larissa down the darkest region of that section of the asylum.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

“Whoa. This is messed up, man.” Alex said, while gazing at the photo that Bert and Ernie had taken earlier that day near Gotham City Hall, while all others had been scattered over the bed in their hotel room at The Gotham Intercontinental Hotel. “One of our cousins is here Gotham City, doing God knows what.”

Bert and Ernie nodded. “Yeah. But what is it that he’s doing?" Bert remarked.

“Gee, Bert…you think we should ask God?" Ernie asked.

Bert frowned. “Ernie, how would that help us?"

“Oh, I don’t know, Bert. It’s just seeing how God knows what he’s…”

“Alright! Alright! Stop there, Ernie! Just stop there!" Bert shouted. “This is serious. We got to find out what Sean’s been doing in Gotham City all this time.”

“Well, it can’t be anything good, that’s for sure.” Alex said, glancing back and forth between the photo and the door to the bathroom, where Beth had been for the longest time. “Hey, didn’t Larissa and Teressa say that they were coming here to find them a while back?"

Bert and Ernie tried to remember and were finally able to after a few seconds. “Hey, that’s right. They say that they were going to do some investigating to determine his latest whereabouts," Bert said.

“You think they’re here in Gotham, too?" Ernie asked.

“Only one way to find out.” Alex said, while reaching out of her pocket and pulling out her cell phone, which she had her cousins’ numbers listed on speed dial. She noticed the first name on the list was “Larissa Thomas” and was about press “Send”, until she heard a series of hard knocks on the door.

Alex walked her way towards the door, asking herself if they called for room service or not. She retraced their steps upon coming into the hotel and could recall telling Beth several times that they should order in some Domino’s for everyone (Bert usually had the “special”, which was a birdseed pizza that he would leave out for Bernice at the window). But they never had the time to order in for pizza, ever since Bert and Ernie brought it to their attention about the “Sean Thomas Situation”.

Whoever this is had better have something good…like extra olives with cheese, she thought to herself.

She opened the door and the first thing she saw in front of her was a very tall man (he looked over seven feet tall) in a black and white suit, wearing sunglasses and an earpiece. He looked like something directly out of The Matrix or one of those guys from what was that place…C.O.V.E.L.D…C.O.V.N.E.D…Ah! Whatever it was called, this guy looked like one of them.

“May I help you?" Alex asked, and the man stepped aside, revealing a shorter man behind him who turned out to be none other than Harvey Dent. Alex seemed less than enthusiastic to see him at their doorstep. “Oh…it’s just you.”

Harvey, oblivious to her lack of interest, focused on more important matters. “Uh, hi. I-Is Beth here?"

Alex was about to answer, until she heard the bathroom door finally open and her sister step out from it. She turned around, along with Bert and Ernie, and noticed Beth dressed in an attire far different from the one she wore only moments ago. She was wearing a tight, black dress with a skirt that barely went to her knees. To Alex Thomas, she looked like she was asking for money. To Bert and Ernie, she looked like a completely different woman. To Harvey Dent, she looked absolutely stunning.

“Wow," uttered the assistant district attorney.

Beth felt a bit embarrassed coming out and wearing a dress that she hadn’t worn since she was eighteen. “Too much?"

“What do you think?" Alex sarcastically asked.

“Was I talking to you?" Beth retorted.

Harvey stepped forward and approached her with a big smile. “You look positively marvelous.” The smile remained for only a moment, and then it slowly started to fade.

“What is it?" Beth asked, quickly taking notice.

Harvey hesitated for just a moment and then he finally said, “I’m sorry. I know I promised you a magnificent evening, but…”

“Ohhh, yeah. Here it comes.” Alex murmured.

“Shush!" Beth exclaimed, refocusing her attention back on Dent. “What is it? You can tell me.”

Nearby, Bert and Ernie were looking on with interest, almost as if they were watching a soap opera or reading one captivating romance novel in motion. Their eyes focused heavily on Dent as he told Beth, “I have a press conference that I have to attend to tonight. I just…I completely forgot all about it.”

“Oh," Beth sadly remarked, feeling as if her whole world came crashing down. “Well…I understand. You’re in the middle of a campaign now. It’s only important to think about the city first…and me last.”

“Awwwww.” Alex mocked, and Beth shot her an evil look that almost scared her half to death.

Ernie, feeling very bad for Beth, tried his best to think of a solution to this problem of hers. An idea suddenly popped in his mind, and he quickly shared it with everyone. “I know, Beth! Maybe you can go with Mr. Dent to the press conference. That way you can get the scoop ahead of everyone else.”

Beth smiled at her orange-skinned Muppet friend. “Great idea, Ernie! I’d love to do an angle of how you approached the conference. Your thoughts…your motives…your ways of dealing with the public’s interest…Heck, we can do the whole interview on the way there.”

“Terrific!" Dent exclaimed, and he looked to everyone else in the room. “You’re all invited, of course.”

That, however, was not what Beth had in mind. “Uh, well…I was thinking of something more…you know…up close and personal?"

“Well, I don’t think Robert Redford here minds if we all got a piece of the action…right, Michelle?" Alex jested, walking up to her sister and placing an arm around her, adding insult to injury.

Beth looked at her threateningly. “You know, you’re really starting to become a major pain in my…” Alex quickly stopped her, motioning towards Bert and Ernie and alerting her of their presence. “I hate you.”

TO BE CONTINUED....​

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Love it! I'm so glad you're posting again Sean, this was well worth the wait!