Sesame Street and the Daytime Emmys

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, I didn't see a thread for this elsewhere, and didn't know where else to put this (seeing as how it did air on TV). So, here it is. The results of the Daytime Emmys for the Muppets:

While Kevin Clash (as Elmo) and Noel MacNeal (as Bear) were both nominated for outstanding performers in a children's series, Shia Leboufe (or however his name happens to be spelt) won out. I would have been happy with any of the nominees winning (other than the mom from Even Stevens, who just didn't deserve it). The nominees were as follows (other than the Even Stevens nominees):
  • Levar Burton- Reading Rainbow
  • Kevin Clash as Elmo- Sesame Street
  • Noel MacNeal as Bear- Bear in the Big Blue House

While several shows were nominated for Outstanding Television Series for Preschoolers, only one could win. Sesame Street took home the Emmy for this category.

Though the Muppets only took home one Emmy this year (and Wayne Brady was so excited, he stole Bernie Brillstein's camera time :smile: ), the night was full of Muppety goodness.

The Sesame Street Muppets (Elmo, Zoe, Grover, Rosita, and Big Bird), along with Sesame Street guest star Wayne Brady, sang a compilation of Mr. Rogers songs in a tribute to the late Fred Rogers. It was a beautiful tribute.

Throughout the night, TV Guide's best scenes of daytime television were aired. One of these was the forever memorable scene where Big Bird learns that Mr. Hooper has died. Every time I see this, I could cry. "Mr. Hooper's dead, Big Bird." "Oh. Well, I'll give it to him when he gets back." "Mr. Hooper's not coming back." "He's not?"

After the scene was shown, Wayne Brady said "God bless Mr. Hooper." Which, sadly, was responded with laughter from the audience. :frown:

Then, during a recap of Daytime Emmys past, a few clips of the Muppets winning were shown, along with a scene of Jim Henson stating, "Television can be used to do really good things." That was, for me, one of the best moments of the evening.

Well, there you have it. The Muppets on the Daytime Emmys 2003.

"Now, go away, and leave me alone!" :grouchy:

:frown: :stick_out_tongue: