Sesame Street censorship

muppetphile

Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the SS unpaved episodes (yet). Does anyone know if they "edited" (CENSORED!) any of them?

Drtooth

Reaction score
drmusic_99 said:
A line I'm surprised got through to begin with was in Oscar's song "I Hate Christmas" from "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street." (Referring to Santa:smile: "I'll tell him where to put his toys"

I'm surprised they got away with that one as well.. heh heh heh! :grouchy:

Splurge

Reaction score
muppetphile said:
I haven't seen any of the SS unpaved episodes (yet). Does anyone know if they "edited" (CENSORED!) any of them?
The Unpaved episodes have 5 minutes edited out of them, not because of censorship, but because Noggin had each show divided into two parts with time in between for interstitials, Deja Noggin clips, etc. It was the same with Electric Company, and I presume Square One TV.

If editors were indeed instructed to chop off 5 minutes of segments per episode, I'll bet they had to make some hard choices.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:
The "Fisherman Song" sequence with Judy Collins appears to be edited. After the 2nd chorus, the camera pans across the dancing crowd, and that pan is repeated again, indicating that something has been omitted. Also, listen closely to the dialogue during the bridge: it sounds like they censored a joke that ends with "he cut off his nose!"

Has anyone seen this unedited? Please let me know.
I'm not sure about that edit, but I have this on tape, and she sings about them drinking beer! And if I'm not mistaken, there might have been a few "frosty mugs" actually on camera as props, I think. I'll have to check to be sure, though.

I do remember a joke on there that went something like:

"Did you catch anything?"
"Yeah, I caught a cold!" (crowd laughs, and a woman who obviously is performed by Frank Oz because of the "Piggy voice" says) "Oh, ha ha! That's cute!"

Convincing John

drmusic_99

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I'm surprised they got away with that one as well.. heh heh heh! :grouchy:
I just heard the song, and my memory was a bit faulty... it's actually "I'll tell him where to LEAVE his toys." That SOUNDS a bit better, but in truth, it's just as bad. :wink:

Censored

Reaction score
drmusic_99 said:
I just heard the song, and my memory was a bit faulty... it's actually "I'll tell him where to LEAVE his toys." That SOUNDS a bit better, but in truth, it's just as bad. :wink:

Hi. I don't know what version you heard of the song, but I have the actual tape of the Christmas special. I just listened to the song on there (so weird, a Christmas special on Halloween) and Oscar DEFINITELY said, "I'll tell him where to PUT his toys." Maybe they modified the line in some other versions of the song.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seriously. I really have to say the Between the lions gets away with quite a lot more than sesame. 2 days ago, there was this episode where they have to fix Theo's typewriter, and they made this pretty gruesome site gag... the metal round bar that holds the paper and moves to the end of the lkine flies out, seconds later we see a Monkey walk by with the bar going completely THROUGH his head and brain....gruesome for a kid's show...

drmusic_99

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Hi. I don't know what version you heard of the song, but I have the actual tape of the Christmas special. I just listened to the song on there (so weird, a Christmas special on Halloween) and Oscar DEFINITELY said, "I'll tell him where to PUT his toys." Maybe they modified the line in some other versions of the song.
I guess they changed it for rerelease, because I did remember the word "put."

Hays

Reaction score
Though Between the Lions is marketed to a completely different group of children who have hopefully learned TV is pretend and you should be careful what behavior you copy...