Sesame Street Jam: A Musical Celebration

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back in 1994, PBS once broadcast Sesame Street's 25th Birthday: A Musical Celebration, only with it retitled sesame Street Jam: A Musical Celebration, and with most of the sogns replaced with songs featuring celebrities. I think this was done for a pledge drive.

When this was broadcast, I found out about it by lookign through a TV listing while it was being broadcast, and only saw the last few minutes of it. it had the same linking footage from the video, but mostly different skits. The skits i saw were the 1994 version of A new way To walk (and for a few months after this, I didn;t realize that this was done on the show. I thought it was just made for the special), Kiko and The lavendar Moon, and the celebrity-filled version of Monster In The Mirror (though without the closing scene where grover carried a picture of The Simpsons).

I know that the credits were also different. I remember the credits having stills from the show, and judging by the stills I remember, it had Little Richard singing Rubber Duckie, Aaron neville singign I Don't want To Live On The Moo, and the opera version of C is For Cookie.

Anyway, does anybody know what songs were included in this broadcast version of the 25th anniversary special?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Adventure
Do Wop Hop
C is For Cookie (opera version)
Rubber Duckie (Little Richard)
That's The Letter O
I Don't Live On The Moon (Aaron Neville)
That's My Name
A New Way to Walk (celebrity version)
Elmo and the Lavender Moon
Monster in the Mirror (celebrity version)
Sing

There.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What is That's My Name about?

Also, is the Do Op Hop you listed the same one as in the video, or was it the original kermit version?

It looks like a short selection, but I guess that's so they could have room for a pledge break.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
What is That's My Name about?

Also, is the Do Op Hop you listed the same one as in the video, or was it the original kermit version?

It looks like a short selection, but I guess that's so they could have room for a pledge break.
That's My Name was the Maya Angelou song with Elmo etc. and the same Do Wop Hop on the video not the kermit one.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I should have known that it was the video version. I just reread your list and noticed that you listed Sing, which I know is the same version on both the video and the television version.

It's a little weird that Kermit wasn't represented much on the video and was competely absent from the TV broadcast. Then again, he was also hardly in the other 25th anniversary special, Sesame Street's All-Star 25th Birthday: Stars and Streets Forever. Sill, if the broadcast version wanted to focus on celebrity songs, then they should have used Leena Horne's version of being Green.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've seen this special, but I dont remember the version of do wop hop on it. I like the virsion of sing where in the middle where the group Ladysmith Black mambazo appear in the middle of the cast and sing the song, that was cool.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I've seen this special, but I dont remember the version of do wop hop on it.
It i sung by Jamal, Angela, and some muppets and kids. I know that an orange monster with a deep voice sang vocals. I can't remember what other muppets were in this song, but I think Grover and Hoots were there.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I remember watching this special on a Sunday night, back in 1994 on PBS. It also aired with 3 other Sesame Street Specials, Sesame Street visits the Fire House, Something about a New Baby in the Family (I don't remember too much about this one, except that it had Snuffy in it, and Cookie Monster and Oscar made Cameos), and the Classic Put Down The Duckie. One thing that somewhat puzzled me about the SS Jam special is that Oscar was only seen briefly and it was during the opening theme for this special. All he did was say "Yuck" and walked away, and he wasn't seen again, not even at the end when they all sang "Sing" I wish they would have gave him something more to do in this special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The special about a new baby in the family was called A New Baby In My House. It was released on video in 1994.