Sesame Street Little People

MrCole

Reaction score
My favorite all time toys! I'm sure most people on here are familiar with these little figures made by Fisher-Price back in the 1970's. I still remember when my brother and I got the Sesame Street clubhouse along with an extra set of characters for Christmas in 1977. I was 2 years old at the time! We took that clubhouse up to our bedroom and played with it all afternoon, and continued to play with it for years afterward. My boys now have the clubhouse here at my house, and when their friends come over, if there's one toy that always ends up being played with it's that old clubhouse!
Today I've started making my Sesame Street figures on my wood lathe (If you want to see some of them check out my blog here:http://littlewoodenguys.blogspot.com/ ). While the intent is not for them to look exactly like the original Sesame Street little people, they are similar and are made to fit in my old playset.
Anyway, thats my story about the greatest toys ever made. Anyone else have some memories to share?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Wow that is a great website and great way to protray the SS gang like that.

Please keep up the good work on this great hobby. :super:

StreetScenes

Reaction score
they're adorable! how long does it take you to make one? i really like the clothing on mr. hooper, kermit & count.

MrCole

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments! Most of the figures that I've made lately like Mr. Hooper, Prairie Dawn and the Count take around five to six hours to make. This can make for some really late nights! Once I start, I can't seem to make myself stop until I'm done.
It's too bad Fisher Price didn't keep making these for a little longer, or branch out into making characters from the Muppet Show. My original set of Sesame Street little people are really worn now. They were played with for years, well loved, and most had their had their faces worn away over 25 years ago. The figures that I make are really nostalgic for me. They remind me of fun times as a kid, and also incorporate a lot of ideas that I remember wishing my original figures had (realistic costumes, the inclusion of Kermit).
I am planning on making a new playset based on Christmas Eve on Sesame Street someday down the road. We'll see if it ever happens!
By the way, is there somewhere on Muppet Central where pictures of all the original Sesame Street little people and playsets are posted?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... You could always check out the Collectibles section, or look up SST Little People on the Muppet Wiki. Hope this helps and have a good night.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Let me add more praise about your site! You've done a great job of creating your own "little people."

By the way, is there somewhere on Muppet Central where pictures of all the original Sesame Street little people and playsets are posted?
Not that I know of, but it's a good idea! In the meantime, you can do a search in Google images for "Sesame Street little people" and you'll find a few shots of them. Here's one:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/211/453458804_111920b8c9.jpg?v=0

MrCole

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and the pictures Sesame Guy. I've found that ebay can be a good place to look for pictures too.

That's an interesting thought about what the humans from Sesame Street thought of the Little People. I think it would have been quite a thrill! When I was a kid I wondered why only Mr. Hooper, Susan and Gordon were made, but not Maria, David, Bob and Luis.

rche

Reaction score
Hiya MrCole,

Love the customs. My daughter (4yo) and I were just talking about what FPLP should have been made, but never quite got there. I do customs in other formats, so now she is waiting for her David, Luiz, and Mariah little people. Along with some honkers, and fat blue, and super Grover, and, and, and..... lol
Once again, nice work.

rche