Sesame Street Live Album

mikebennidict

Reaction score
freequently we'll hear stuff from it on MC radio. this is the 1 were the SS cast witch features Bob Susan Gordon played by Matt Robinson, Mr. Hooper, Maria, Luis and David. Mr. Hooper read that story and says the wrong words and the kids correct him and the Snuffle Upagus comes by and the kids in the audience are the only ones that see. him. now does anyone have any info about the album? i assume this was made in either 1971 or 72 since the last 3 people i mentioned came on in the 1971-72 season and marked Robinson's last year as Gordon. was this appearance by the SS human cast or was this freequent and how lonf did it go on?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The LP first came out in 1973 (with Hal Miller as Gordon). The record was a gatefold. The LP was reissued in 1977 with a new cover and no gatefold sleave. Interesting trivia, I think Carol Spinney met his wife during the Sesame Street Live days.

The only Muppets featured are Big Bird, Mr. Snuffle-upagus, Cookie and Grover. I always thought it was strange that Ernie and Bert didn't make an appearance. There are some great moments with the cast though.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
I'm listening to it now, and it's really wonderful. Bought it for $10 at a record store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Not only is it the original gatefold version (which is beautiful packaging w/photos), it also has a huge, full-color, illustrated poster. As for the songs, I've long lost my 45 of Snuffy singing "Nobody", so it's great to have a version of it again... and I never thought I'd hear a live version of "C is for Cookie"!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I've been asking all over if anyone has "The Arm" by David from this album, it's a great song.

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Yes! "The Arm" is indeed on this album, and David's vocals are in top form.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
The LP first came out in 1973 (with Hal Miller as Gordon). The record was a gatefold. The LP was reissued in 1977 with a new cover and no gatefold sleave. Interesting trivia, I think Carol Spinney met his wife during the Sesame Street Live days.

The only Muppets featured are Big Bird, Mr. Snuffle-upagus, Cookie and Grover. I always thought it was strange that Ernie and Bert didn't make an appearance. There are some great moments with the cast though.
even though Miller was Gordon in 1973 listening to the track on MC radio, the voice sounds like Robinson. I wonder why know am I mishearing it.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
What a great album! I haven't had a copy in a long time, but I remember getting it in '77 (must have been the reissue) and taking it to school (I was in kindergarten at the time) because you could bring in your faves to share with the class. Of course, the one day I was sick was the day that my teacher played it for everyone. Oh well. Great memories of that one, though.

later
eric

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
it is also strange that oscar isn't there. in his autobiography, caroll spinney said that they coudn't have oscar in their live shows for a long time because they couldn't think of a way to get oscar on stage. this is why bruno was created. however, it must have been easy for other puppets to appear on-stage, since cookie monster and grover are in the album.

as for a lack of ernie and Bert, I think that Jim Henson must not have been availible for the album, and the producers probably didn't think bert should be used without ernie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
even though Miller was Gordon in 1973 listening to the track on MC radio, the voice sounds like Robinson. I wonder why know am I mishearing it.
I heard the audio recording of "I've Got Two", and I think that Matt Robinson sounded similar to Roscoe orman. were these actors hired based on how similar their voices were? :big_grin:

Oddly enough, in that song, Susan sounded different. It sounds like Bobs voice never changed.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I heard the audio recording of "I've Got Two", and I think that Matt Robinson sounded similar to Roscoe orman. were these actors hired based on how similar their voices were? :big_grin:

Oddly enough, in that song, Susan sounded different. It sounds like Bobs voice never changed.
I don't think so. To me, I think Gordon less a voice and more an "Additude," ya know what i mean?