Sesame Street -NY Original Airing

Brooklyn

Reaction score
I just found out that the folks behind Sesame Street couldn't get PBS, Channel 13 in NY to air the show at 9am (the time that they insisted it air around the country, so as to not compete with CAPTAIN KANGAROO, the only other educational show for kids). They had to get a waiver from the union that allowed them to air it in NY for the first year on WPIX, Channel 11. The following year, PBS, Channel 13 came around.

You learn something new every day....

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wow, that is all interesting! Heh, guess you didn't mess with Captain Kangeroo back in the day! :smile:

Brooklyn

Reaction score
i know, was just being dramatic but it is a big deal, considering NY's PBS is one of the biggest ones.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think I remember Loretta Long talking about something like that when she came to my school back in 2001... though I believe she was talking about PBS being called NET or something like that the time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Agreed, I'm glad the PBS point was clarified, but we should all be respectful. :smile:

Brooklyn

Reaction score
Wow -- your back is watched here, huh? I updated the subject line of my original post. Wasn't posting to LIE or SHOCK you but did think it was very interesting that the show started on Channel 11 in NY, after it's long association with PBS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just found out that the folks behind Sesame Street couldn't get PBS, Channel 13 in NY to air the show at 9am (the time that they insisted it air around the country, so as to not compete with CAPTAIN KANGAROO, the only other educational show for kids).

I like how they were able to do that at the beginning. Not competing for a hard time slot with a hard success is one way to get noticed, and to get a nice long TV airlife.

Unfortunately, with all these other (frankly terrible) options, SS has to compete with pop shows that aren't half as well done.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I deleted posts that were too snippy and didn't promote the thread any.