Sesame Street on ET: Identify the episode

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
In E.T.,E.T. was watching an episode of Sesame Street.Which one was it?
It was about the letter B,a cartoon with a basket,bandit and something else.When the cartoon ended it had Big Bird and Grover(B.B. mentioned outer space).What was the short and episode?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
and ball and various other things here on the wall. and after several other b words were mentioned a boy appeared with a baseball and bat and with 1 mighty ball, knocks everything flat.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
Mr.Penguin said:
In E.T.,E.T. was watching an episode of Sesame Street.Which one was it?
It was about the letter B,a cartoon with a basket,bandit and something else.When the cartoon ended it had Big Bird and Grover(B.B. mentioned outer space).What was the short and episode?
I am not 100 per cent certain about this, but I have read (I haven't seen ET in 20 years) that the "Sesame Street" clips shown in that movie are from one or both of the two "Star Wars" episodes (#1316 and #1364). There is even a "conspiracy theory" of sorts which I read on the internet somewhere claiming that George Lucas *owns* both of those specific episodes as a condition of licensing C3PO and R2D2 to appear in them, and that use of clips in Speilberg's "ET" is no coincidence. But I think that's nonsense.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
and ball and various other things here on the wall. and after several other b words were mentioned a boy appeared with a baseball and bat and with 1 mighty ball, knocks everything flat.
Wasn't this skit on one of the Noggin Unpaved episodes???

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
To answer your question, the animated letter sketch featured in "E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial" is the B is for bandit, boy, and baseball bat, narrated by Casey Kasem. This Sesame piece dates back to 1969.

Also appearing in E.T. is the skit from the mid-seventies where Big Bird tries to count how many pull-ups Grover can do on the railing of the carriage house play-yard.

Gertie is seen watching Sesame Street.

Splurge

Reaction score
Mark The Shark said:
I am not 100 per cent certain about this, but I have read (I haven't seen ET in 20 years) that the "Sesame Street" clips shown in that movie are from one or both of the two "Star Wars" episodes (#1316 and #1364). There is even a "conspiracy theory" of sorts which I read on the internet somewhere claiming that George Lucas *owns* both of those specific episodes as a condition of licensing C3PO and R2D2 to appear in them, and that use of clips in Speilberg's "ET" is no coincidence. But I think that's nonsense.
I think I get it. The Big Bird audio about something coming from "outer space" did appear at the beginning of the first "Star Wars" episode, when the Bird so far was the first to notice that the Droids had landed behind the fence. It's been some time, but I think on ET, the audio followed was David: "Big Bird, what have you been reading?"

The visual part of what was being watched ("Ladies and gentleman/and monsters", etc.) was indeed an early skit which took place on the street but was repeated as an "insert" skit. I even recall it appearing in the mid-80's, of all times.

Somehow I don't think CTW gave an entire episode of Sesame Street for the E.T. movie, but rather, sent a small number of clips needed for the scene - Two "B" cartoons and one Big Bird scene.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Yes did you guys notice when Big Bird and Grover are on you can hear the episodes when the Star Wars droids came to visit? But you can't see it. I always thought that was weird.

Stupendous Man

Reaction score
Yes! I watched E.T. a few weeks ago and thought it was funny that Grover's mouth was moving when David was talking.