Sesame Street Season 42 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not so much about coming up with new ideas as it is PAYING for new footage. It's not cheap by any means, and no one bought enough singing dancing Elmos to give SW their profit back to put into the show.

Now, I understand they have to recycle quite a lot in the show and all, but the problem isn't what's recycled, but how they use it, and how long what they have to recycle is. Long Abby's Flying Fairy Schools every single day? No. Shorter number and letter segments? Sure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Elmo live was flying TOO close to the sun, my friend. Never mind the 60 dollar kids' toy in a recession... No one saw that coming. But something that's very close to a sentient robot toy for kids? It could either go very good or very, very, very badly. I think they were expecting high sales of singing dancing Elmos since they usually have them. They just went far too far with that last one, and it hurt both SW and Mattel so badly, Mattel came up with Tickle Me Elmo gloves, and SW ran to Hasbro.

Jessica

Reaction score
Going back to what was said earlier... As a disabled person myself, I feel like there isn't a need for another Linda of the show. Linda was great and all when I was growing up, but she was like an extra to most of us that watched that era of the show. The sign language wasn't something most of us held onto, and we just remember her as the deaf girl on SS.

Writing a character into the show with a disability like Autism would be in poor taste IMO. It is like the promotion of a muppet with down syndrome/bipolar/etc. They wouldn't be able to pull it off no matter how hard they try. You can't market a muppet who sees the world in black and white, and the storylines that they would have in the first place would really concern most people. It's like trying to teach a toddler about divorce and how it's not their fault, but there's nothing they can do about it.

As for SS getting cancelled, I think that it'll just BARELY make it to season 50. And it's not going to be about budget cuts, it won't be because Elmo is losing his popularity, and it won't be because of a celebrity. It'll just be the fact that the cast will realize that they're just not into it anymore.

SS is a flagship show for public broadcasting. They wouldn't get rid of it, even if it started to get stale... As it has in recent years. Just like they probably would have still been funding Mister Rogers if he hadn't retired/died. Only in recent years have they cut off the cooking/travel shows that they used to play between the PBS Kids programming, which used to be my naptime unless they were showing Joy of Painting. If they wanted to add to the lineup, they'd most likely axe repeats or shows that are going nowhere. And there are tons of them at the moment.

ssetta

Reaction score
I would really like it if they were to go back to using 2 inserts for the letter and number of the day, rather than just 1. That way, there would be more classics.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would really like it if they were to go back to using 2 inserts for the letter and number of the day, rather than just 1. That way, there would be more classics.
I wouldn't doubt that was a complaint and the reason why the number of the Day tune in is significantly shorter. I gotta admit, I liked Murray counting all that stuff, but it drags on too long. Something similar to a Count counting on his organ segment that's just an introduction would work better.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind two letter/number segments again (some season 40 eps did that). I do worry that they'll be the same ones we've seen over and over.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind two letter/number segments again (some season 40 eps did that). I do worry that they'll be the same ones we've seen over and over.
They will be... :rolleyes:
They need to have the Aniboom thing every year... all I'm saying.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Moving back to Frank Oz, it's awesome that he's still involved with Sesame! His comedic skill is just amazing and it's great that they still keep a little hold of that now. SuperMonster is hilarious, it's a great example of how Frank can make a scene fantastically funny! The interaction between him and Jerry when doing Grover and Mr. Johnson is just priceless! I just love that he's still doing these inserts! It's super :super:!
I must say I am impress with knowing that Frank Oz is going to do Grover again this season. I also wished that somehow, someway that the REAL Spider-man showed up in an animated cliping during that Spider-monster segment.

At least to remind the old School fans of Spider-man previous workings within Sesame Workshop. :wisdom:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but in the last two weeks the people at Tough Pigs visited the set and did some interviews. It was reported that there will be an episode focusing on Ernie and Bert, which'll also feature Susan, Gordon, Maria, Luis, and Oscar (and no sign of Elmo as far as I know... Kevin Clash wasn't interviewed in any of the videos posted at Tough Pigs... Then again, Caroll Spinney wasn't interviewed, either).

The episode involves Ernie and Bert's apartment getting flooded so they have to sleep in Susan and Gordon's apartment. I wonder if it'll be multi-part (I have never known any Sesame Street episodes to take place over the course of multiple days, and I can see this plot needing to show the following morning). Supposedly there'll be a scene where Oscar scuba dives in the basement. It's too bad Sesame Street can't freely use Kermit anymore, because I feel this episode is begging for Kermit (I don't know if the basement gets flooded because of a flood, but that would call for a news report... And Steve Whitmire is obviously on set).
If Oscar's involved in this episode, then you know Caroll Spinney's involved as well. :grouchy:

Man, hearing an episode like this sounds like something from the OLD SCHOOL Sesame Street. I mean the old fun times from the show.:stick_out_tongue:

Plus the knowledge of seeing Susan back on the show for this episode is truly a bonus for Old School fans of SS everywhere. :wisdom:

Status
Not open for further replies.