Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4503 - Proud to Be Me

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So we kick off the episode with Mando doing some self-drawing, it kind of reminds me of when Hiroshi was part of the cast/street stories.
Mando as the new Hiroshi. That makes sense, because in a way Chris is sort of like the new David.

That was Matt? Wow, I didn't recognize his voice. Maybe it's because since last year started I'm predisposed into thinking a young-ish male voice speaking or singing in both English and Spanish is Mando.
And I think he may have been Big Bird in this episode as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but unless Carroll had a cold when the street scene was filmed, his "There she is!" line did sound very reminiscent of how he sounded back when they had "Journey to Ernie."

YAY! And Big Bird was there too. Still think the Abby/Elmo pairing comes off as forced.
Well, it is something to think about. I know Elmo often gets frustrated with Zoe because of her pet rock, so maybe they wanted someone he can get along with better. :confused:

Anyone else here notice that Big Bird was performed by Carroll Spinney at first. But then later on when him and Elmo and Abby came back he was being performed by Matt Vogel?
Oh, I thought Matt voiced him in the whole street scene. Well, I guess it's for the best. It's a good way to give both of his puppeteers some air time.

Last edited:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No, :wisdom: was voiced by Caroll in the street story, his voice was pretty much normal. I kind of noticed that when Matt voices :wisdom: it's a slightly different pitch.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Today's street story was pretty good. I agree with Drtooth on the stereotypical kids books that are shown on Sesame Street! What's worse? A teddy bear being considered too brown or a Mexican kid spending the day wearing a sombrero and taking a siesta next to a cactus with their pet burro? Quite mind boggling! But on a better note, it was interesting to see Segi be featured in a street story- I wonder if one of these days, someone will take a picture of the real Segi (Joey's daughter) and the Muppet Segi together; that would be quite interesting. Plus, it was cool to get an appearance from Chris, Leela, and Mando at once. The song that was sung towards the end was quite awesome, as well as the skin song after the street scene!

Since my antenna thankfully cooperated during the Number of the Day song, I can say that it was incredibly catchy indeed! I'm glad they brought The Count back for this role!

Now for the Murray segment...how do I put this? When I saw the Sesame Street News logo, I thought that these segments would rise from the dead with new ones being made! I figured that if SW couldn't get permission from Disney to use Kermit for the segment, Telly reprising his Monster on the Spot role would be the next best thing (especially since it looks as if Steve isn't coming back). Personally, I think Telly would have been a better choice for the segment, unless Marty isn't available as often as Joey is.

Sadly, I had to head to school just as ETM was starting- too bad, it looked really good.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
No, :wisdom: was voiced by Caroll in the street story, his voice was pretty much normal. I kind of noticed that when Matt voices :wisdom: it's a slightly different pitch.
Really? It's so hard to tell anymore. I know I heard that you can tell when it's Matt because he has more of a congested sound, but Carroll's has gotten congested too in recent years. Though he does sound really good when he sings the "Letter/Number of the Day" songs. Even though he doesn't have any solo lines there, I can hear Carroll is BB pretty well.

Now for the Murray segment...how do I put this? When I saw the Sesame Street News logo, I thought that these segments would rise from the dead with new ones being made! I figured that if SW couldn't get permission from Disney to use Kermit for the segment, Telly reprising his Monster on the Spot role would be the next best thing (especially since it looks as if Steve isn't coming back). Personally, I think Telly would have been a better choice for the segment, unless Marty isn't available as often as Joey is.
I have to agree. :smile: and Telly (Gosh! We need a Telly smilie) were the best at SS news. Heck, they could have even used Prairie Dawn. (Remember she used to do "Fairy Tale News.") But they really should give Murray a rest and give some other characters some airtime.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Somehow, I thought the ETM opening was going to be re-dubbed or re-shot, but I don't blame them for not going that far. Fortunately, the transition from Kevin's Elmo to Ryan's is quite seamless now, so much so that I'd think most kids won't pick up the difference.

Speaking of which, I don't know about anyone else, but frankly I loved the Skin segment with Elmo and Lupita Nyong'o. Really well executed overall and well performed by Ryan =)

Last edited:

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why Big Bird was performed by Caroll in the beginning of the street story but Matt at the end. But, I'm just glad Caroll is still performing the Bird in terms of both voice and puppetry, so I don't really care to what extent. And he is holding up quite well, if I do say so myself.

Anyway, I loved this street story. I love Chris and Leela, and Mando is proving himself pretty well, too. I think that those three are now the three "main" humans on the show, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. The "Color of Me" song was terrific. I can listen to Nitya Vidyasagar sing all day long. A great message.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the new "Beautiful Skin" song from today's episode...

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're still using Murray for filler segments. The Murray had a little lamb bits are interesting... this one seemed just fillery. Like they could have done one short segment and have been done. It seemed a bit hamfisted after the third kid. And while I could go on a cynical turn about being special doesn't mean jack in the real world when these kid's grow up, that would be petty. I get the self esteem moral of the episode, down to the Abby segment they reran, but the Murray's Special Report bit ran long for the sake of plugging up time holes and keeping Murray as semi-host. Still, I hope Sesame Street (or Henson) gives that young puppeteer a call in about 10 years. That was the true highlight. A young kid with that much talent.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know why Big Bird was performed by Caroll in the beginning of the street story but Matt at the end. But, I'm just glad Caroll is still performing the Bird in terms of both voice and puppetry, so I don't really care to what extent. And he is holding up quite well, if I do say so myself.
So. It was Carroll and Matt. I guess the Count may have been mistaken on that one. Like I said that "There she is!" sounded very much like his "There he is!" in the JTE segments and now that JTE isn't on the show any more they probably want to give him some airtime, though he's probably busy with Jerry's characters as well.

Of course, I'm not the one to ask, because I didn't know until I read the forums that they used an alternate Ernie performer on Tuesday's show. Though I thought that may have been in the cards when I heard the voice. But anyway, that's another story.