1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4615 - Birdie and the Beast

Discussion in 'Season 46' started by Phillip, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Episode 4615 - Birdie and the Beast
    HBO Premiere: Saturday April 16, 2016
    PBS Premiere: Monday March 20, 2017

Big Bird makes up a fairy tale about a bird named Birdie who helps a Beast learn how to be a good friend. Also featuring Elmo the Musical-Prince Elmo. Brought to you by the letter F and the number 0.

This episode features an all-new street story.

[​IMG]

If you saw "Birdie and the Beast" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

*sighs* Unfortunately, as of Thursday I no longer have HBO. Too bad,this was one of the episodes I was really looking forward to.

3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This was perhaps the best episode of the season so far. In fact, it seemed a lot like Episode 4038 from Season 34, only Big Bird knew where he was going with this story.

I'm glad that we actually had some actual scenery for a change instead of more of the chromakey and CGI (though there was some for obvious visual effects and such), and funnily enough, the set design for the Beast's castle looked like something out of a Sid & Marty Krofft show. I loved the design of the Beast puppet, and overall, Big Bird's story felt very much in spirit of what SST has always been about: teach through humor and entertainment, because that's what this episode was - very humorous and entertaining. Birdie and Beast's song about friendship was also very catchy, and certainly an improvement over much of the songs this season that felt like a jumble of lyrics crammed into mediocre melody. I also loved the twist ending where Beast had always been a beast, the witch's spell just messed up his hair real bad. And the closing song taking a swipe at Disney's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST was also a kick, lol.

That said, it was really sad listening to how Caroll just can't reach that high a level of voice for Big Bird anymore, but I'm just thankful that Caroll's still involved with the show in general, even if he's on the sidelines now like Jerry was for the last few years or his life.

And lemme guess . . . John Kennedy was Beast? Care to confirm, Shane?

4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Tyler Bunch was Beast.

5. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I though it was a good episode, I like the parody of Disney's Beauty & The Beast.

6. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This episode was very good. Tyler did a good job as the Beast. There were funny lines and a fun parody of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Also, is this the first time this season in which ETM was shown in it's entirety?

7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Ugh. I used to be so good at determining who performed who. This is what happens when you have to go for years without seeing SST regularly, and losing an ear for this stuff.

8. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Has the Furchester appeared at all this season?

9. Oscarfan

No, and it won't be.

10. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

The Furchester has never been featured on Sesame Street.

BlakeConor14 likes this.
  11. Oscarfan

It was missing about 30 seconds, but yeah. I was surprised to see it shown so long.

I did really like the street story; the sets, the puppets, it all looked very nice.

12. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Oh o.k. as I dont get sesame street over in England so I didn't know

13. antsamthompson9

I didn't watch it, I just fast-forwarded it. So I didn't know something was edited out. Still it's close to the whole thing.

14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

UGH! Naturally, HBO has a free preview weekend to co-incide with the Game of Thrones premiere, and the next episode of Sesame Street simply has to be a reused episode. On the plus side, I might just catch this episode's rebroadcast.

15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Absolutely. This was the season's best episode so far, and it didn't feel rushed or abrupt like some of the other episodes did. A nice self contained street story starring Big Bird. Elmo and Abby were there for the sake of having them there. They could have been any character, but that's the only thing that was a nitpick.

I also love that they went with more practical effects in this episode. They were simplistic as heck, but it worked beautifully. I absolutely loved the look of the paper thin settings and puppets. And while most other characters in these self regulation episodes are usually varying levels of obnoxious, Tyler played the heck out of The Beast. Loved the puppet for him too. And I dug the song parodies. Not sure if the first one was supposed to be something, I'd assume it's "Be our Guest," but the second song was unmistakably "Something there that wasn't there Before." Sure, it's decades late, but they did a Disney Beauty and the Beast parody and pulled it off wonderfully.

And I give them credit for finding an animated that fits in with the show's subject matter and actually features the letter of the day.

16. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Actually, it seemed like Carroll and Matt split the role of BB for this ep. It did sound like Matt's BB voice at least in the story. Another clue is the JTE like backgrounds and Matt always performed BB in those, but I'm just guessing there.

17. antsamthompson9

I really hope @Pig's Laundry or someone watches this episode on PBS tomorrow and replies to this thread. These threads really need to get more attention after the shows air on PBS.