Sesame Street Season 53 Episode 5323 - Horsing Around

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5323 - Horsing Around
HBO Max Premiere: Thursday, April 6, 2023
PBS Premiere: Thursday, April 6, 2023

Julia and Sam are helping Elmo learn to ride a pony at a horse farm. Elmo learns how to greet, feed, and brush the pony, but when it’s time to ride, he feels nervous. What if he tries belly breathing? Let’s try!

This episode features an all-new street story, Celebrating Me, Celebrating You, Celebrating Us ("Going for a Pony Ride"), Elmo and Abby sing "Dance Like a Horse", a new Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Honeydew"), and a new Elmo's World: Monster Edition ("Horses").

Beginning with Season 46, HBO acquired exclusive first-rights to broadcast Sesame Street episodes. PBS broadcasts these same shows nine months after their HBO Max premiere. In order to help more children with autism, this episode premiered jointly on HBO Max and PBS on Thursday, April 6, 2023. Check local listings for air times for PBS. This is the first Season 53 episode to air on PBS.

Autism currently affects 1 in 68 children. Sesame Workshop has an official website for children and parents who are dealing with the challenges of autism.

If you saw "Horsing Around" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Good episode. Glad I was able to see a season 53. I guess I didn't think of the fact that Autism Awarenss episodes originally air on PBS on Thursdays rather than Mondays like other episodes. (That could be how I missed "Kind Alan" when that aired last April. I'll have to keep that in mind.) So I see they still have the IWWILT mantra, but I liked that they changed the segment after the street scene to "celebrate me." The new opening and closing were pretty good as well. They were due for an update.

I would like to see more "EW: Monster Editions" though, but maybe with more monster characters other than Cookie Monster or Grover. The new Foodie Truck was good to with this time Gonger eating the ingredient they need. (Though they have done that before with the pudding, but it works. Kind of like the old "Mathman" segment on "Square One TV" with reversing the roles be an occasional thing.)

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Seeing Julia and Sam in the real world was the best part of the street story. Gonger eating the honeydew and Cookie being surprised was funny.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Seeing Julia and Sam in the real world was the best part of the street story. Gonger eating the honeydew and Cookie being surprised was funny.
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the role reversal, just like when Gonger ate the pudding. He gets mad when CM eats the ingredients we need only to find he can be just as bad. Monsters can be hypocritical sometimes. :smile: (I'd kind of like to see when where Cookie Monster does the "This nice for you.")

Speaking of role reversals, I was a little surprised that Julia was the one who was comfortable on the horses and Elmo was the one who was initially afraid. I notice especially in these autism awareness episodes, usually, it's Julia who's afraid to do something. Makes one wonder if Elmo's on the autism spectrum himself and it just hasn't been discovered yet. I couldn't help thinking about that since it wasn't discovered that I had Asperger's until I was in my 20s so it is something to think about.