Sesame Street Theories/Questions

Skeeter8

Reaction score
1. Oscar's can is really a doorway to the outside world. It's sort of like Sabrina's closet...the gateway to "The Other Realm". Except people on Sesame Street seem to be able to see Oscar's mud pool and his pet elephant.

2. If Bert and Ernie live in the basement with a cross window (kind of like a plus sign), then why does he have a regular Sesame Street window for his garden where the Twiddle Bugs live?

More later! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
1) I do see what you are getting at, but I do disagree. It's supposed to be some sort of cartoonish surrealistic gag. I.e. like Mary Poppin's bag, or Wakko Warner's Wacky sack... It's small, but it holds a lot. Sort of like it can't in real life.

2) I dunno.... Maybe it's on the other side or something?

Skeeter8

Reaction score
Yes, but no one can see what's really in Mary Poppin's bags (at least not in the movie). People can see Oscar's pool!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
1 As for Oscar's trash can, yes, people can look down into the trash can and see just what it is that Oscar directs their attention to. Be it his swimming pool, elephant squirting water in their faces, or his pet whale performing the same trick. In Season 33, Gina even entered the can to give Fluffy, Oscar's elephant its annual checkup. The way I see it is that you can see parts of Oscar's internal living quarters through his trash can, but that his particular home lies under the street surface which allows for such an expansive area inside his domain. The trash can is just for his personal travel whether he goes walking in it himself or Bruno picks it up and carries him throughout Sesame Street.
2 As for Ernie's window, there's a probability that it could be the window on the other side of the apartment building. I always thought that it was the front window tucked into the bottom wall of the building behind the little cutoff wall section next to the steps.
Hope this helps.

CookieFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Count
The way I see it is that you can see parts of Oscar's internal living quarters through his trash can, but that his particular home lies under the street surface which allows for such an expansive area inside his domain. The trash can is just for his personal travel whether he goes walking in it himself or Bruno picks it up and carries him throughout Sesame Street.
So perhaps Oscar lives in an old NYC subway tunnel and instead of coming up through a manhole he comes up through a trash can?

I'm really thinking toooooo much about these things!!!

dcfboss

Reaction score
also about bert and ernie's apartment....where do they get the money to pay their rent....seeing as it's a basement apartment it's probably not much .... lol. ok that's enough of my retarded comments for now. lol.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
1. See Elmo in Grouchland for inside Oscar's Can; I don't think it's necessarily a 'magic doorway,' but that the can itself is some sort of magic.

2. I always took it that the twiddlebug's window was on the other side of the apt.

If Bob's apartment is over Hooper's Store, why don't we see him as much anymore?

Where did Linda live? Did they both move in together on a different street somewhere?

Gordon and Susan live over the top of Ernie and Bert, right? Well, how does their window open up next to Big Bird's nest?

Who lives upstairs in 123 SesameStreet? Maria and Luis? That still leaves 2 apts unaccounted for!! Actually 3 if you count the other apartment across from Ernie and Bert in the basement:

2 upstairs, 2 downstairs, 2 way downstairs in the basement.

~Kev

Skeeter8

Reaction score
Maybe Gordon and Susan's apartment is actually two or three combined? (I guess it's two. I'm assuming that there are two on each floor) As for Ernie and Bert's place.....I guess Bert gets paid for the organization that he chairs???)

Hays

Reaction score
Bob's apartment showed up this last season; I think it's still above the store - he and Linda don't seem to be together (didn't that come up as an issue years ago?).

The episode where Zoe learns to play the trombone is largely acted out in his apartment. Also he sticks his head out the window during the Honker Duckie Dinger Jamboree episode to show Ernie a triangle.

This from someone who's gone cold turkey until the new season starts!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
This from someone who's gone cold turkey until the new season starts!
Cold Turkey? Just be glad it's not November!!

:embarrassed: