Sesame Street to tackle divorce, for real this time

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of mentioning death to kids, we saw this film in elemenatry School called "Play Safe". Zip ahead to the 6:00 mark and watch what happens with "Jimmy". Technically that film was for kids...and we saw it pretty early on, like second or third grade. It freaked a lot of kids out, but that was what those films were designed to do: scare the crap outta kids so they'd behave.

Ah yes, I remember watching this film in school... but wow, I guess I must be suffering from selective amnesia or something, because I didn't remember it being THAT graphic... but nevertheless, yeah, some of us were pretty disturbed by what happened.

We watched a few of those kind of films in school, I remember another one from Grade 6 or so involving the dangers of smoking, I remember one sequence talking about burning cigarettes being left lying around, then showing a whole house being swallowed up in flames, followed by an insert of a newspaper front page saying something to the extent of "Family of Four Dies in House Fire". Similarly, we saw a film about teenaged drug abuse, involving a kid who abused drugs, and one day, while he and his friends are walking home from school, he collapses on the ground, we then have a bunch of paramedics racing over to him, using those paddles on him and every thing, but the damage had been done, the drugs killed him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Good goobely woop...

To get back on topic, SW just posted a BUNCH of vids on the subject of divorce on YouTube today.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good goobely woop...

To get back on topic, SW just posted a BUNCH of vids on the subject of divorce on YouTube today.
Yeah. Those are probably either included on the website released to Youtube to promote it or supplementary material for it.

Seems like they're going to have some real kid stories in this like the other Talk, Listen, Connect initiatives.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Good goobely woop...

So when and where are we actually going to see this episode that they're talking about? I thought it was supposed to be at the website they mentioned last Tuesday, but so far I haven't seen it. Oh, okay. I checked again. Apparently this is just a video and won't air on TV. Kind of a disappointment because I'd rather see it on TV or online and save money. Anyway, if I'm wrong on this, let me know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought the videos they have in this category were usually free to download on iTunes. Something tells me this is just for child psychologists to show their patients if that's the case.

I guess the main show doesn't want to do anything that isn't STEAM related. Even if that wasn't the case and they were to pull the same thing they did with the money saving resource video and make this an episode, we'd have to wait until next year for it.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
The full episode is free to download on iTunes. Just search "Sesame Street Divorce" in the iTunes store... it comes up as a free episode in the "Learn Along with Sesame" series (which also includes all the other free resource videos...including the recent hurricane episode).