Sesame Street's 25th Anniversary special from '94

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
I didn't have a VCR to record this special at the time.

The basic plot (for those who have forgotten): Land developer Ronald Grump (Joe Pesci) wants to destroy "Sesame Street", so it's up to the Street's inhabitants and a news reporter (Julia-Louis Dreyfus) to save it from development. That was the plot set-up, and since this was a 25th Anniversary Special, there were many flashbacks...in this case, to celebrity "Sesame Street" appearances. Talents ranging from Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson to Billy Crystal and Kathleen Turner are seen throughout the special.

Now, my question is thus: I haven't seen this in 8 years. My paycheck comes in 2 days, and I wish to ask...Does anybody have a full copy of this special on tape? I ask because I would greatly like to purchase one (on a fan-to-fan basis). I can pay for the tape, shipping, handling and whatever other expenses you want. Since I am employed now, I'm good for it.

Anybody got a copy? It would mean so much...

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It can easily appear these are the same program because they both had "25th anniversary" in the title.

The 25th anniversary produced for video (and later released on DVD) is a collection of many of the "best of" songs from Sesame Street. This is what Amazon has available.

The 25th anniversary special shown on tv is an entirely different special when the building of the "Grump towers" may mean that everyone has to move from the street. This prompts everyone to remember their favorite memories.

BeamlovesBob

Reaction score
Yes I have gotten it -- and I'll get rid of it or trade it...

Frankly, it had good stuff, but I was pretty disappointed... I love the Muppets on SS and the sketches, but I love the human stuff too, and felt that despite knowing it couldn't possibly begin to cover everything from the past, that there should have been more of the SS that I loved...

On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed going into the past when I saw Christmas Eve on SS...

:embarrassed: Just my thoughts...

BeamlovesBob

Reaction score
unfortunately (should have added this to the first post) the tape is at my home address not where I'm at now...

I could ask my parents to send it for me, but that would be complicated...

I will do it however if you can't get it from anyone else

I'm looking to get more episodes from before the 90s too if anyone wants to trade or sell.

:stick_out_tongue:

muppet maniac

Reaction score
The basic plot (for those who have forgotten): Land developer Ronald Grump (Joe Pesci) wants to destroy "Sesame Street", so it's up to the Street's inhabitants and a news reporter (Julia-Louis Dreyfus) to save it from development. That was the plot set-up, and since this was a 25th Anniversary Special, there were many flashbacks...in this case, to celebrity "Sesame Street" appearances. Talents ranging from Jodie Foster and Mel Gibson to Billy Crystal and Kathleen Turner are seen throughout the special.
-------------

Isn't Ronald Grump supposed to be a parody of Donald Trump? :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
It can easily appear these are the same program because they both had "25th anniversary" in the title.

The 25th anniversary produced for video (and later released on DVD) is a collection of many of the "best of" songs from Sesame Street. This is what Amazon has available.

The 25th anniversary special shown on tv is an entirely different special when the building of the "Grump towers" may mean that everyone has to move from the street. This prompts everyone to remember their favorite memories.
There actually are 2 different versions (more like 3 different) of the 25th anniversary special.

The "Grump Towers" special was a network special, not PBS (Like SS 20 and still counting and Put Down the Ducky were both 20th anniversary specials) I think it was NBC. Anyway, I have seen it, I just don't recall much of it (wasn't Rosie in it as a fairy godmother or something? I remember her giving a joke about Sweeps week).

The DVD/ video one was actually aired on PBS at a different time (Closer to the first episode of the season if memory recalls) this is when Big Bird wants a group of "La la-ers" to sing the final song at the finale, of course being "Sing." It also had clips of other songs. Now here's where the 3rd varient comes in. the broadcast and home video release were slightly different.

In the broadcast version, they had more celebrity appearances. There was some woman singing "C is for Cookie" ala an opera, and then there was the infamous celebrity version of "Monster in the Mirror" (Which featured the Simpsons, ending with the classic "Hey! Wubba, man!") For some reason, I guess they couldn't afford the royalties for video. They used the original C is for Cookie, and the original Monster in the Mirror. I think there were other differences (My guess, they shortened bits of it).

Hope this helps...

mikebennidict

Reaction score
anyone know why the 20th and 25th aniversary specials were network specials and not on PBS?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There were 2 sets of specials for both. Ones on network TV (more mainstream for people who don't usually watch PBS) and PBS ones (used during pledge months. This is for regular PBS viewers).

I like how they had 2 of each those times. That was really great.