Sesame Workshop Promotes Emmy Winner Kevin Clash To Senior Creative Advisor

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Kevin Clash, the Muppeteer behind the world’s most high-spirited and beloved three-and-a-half-year old character, has agreed to expand his role, accepting an appointment to Senior Creative Advisor for Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street. In this capacity, Clash will provide his expertise and broad range of creative talent to many of the Workshop’s projects, including domestic and international productions of Sesame Street and outreach projects on multiple media platforms. In addition, he will work to nurture ideas for new properties and foster broader distribution for all projects, while continuing his responsibilities as Muppet Captain for the Sesame Street production team and performing as Elmo. Clash will report to Gary E. Knell, Sesame Workshop’s President and Chief Executive Officer.
“Over 20 years ago, Kevin single-handedly created a phenomenon: a wonderful, enthusiastic, furry red Monster named Elmo who would later travel anywhere and everywhere to bring joy and important life lessons to children and their caregivers,” said Knell. “The Workshop is indeed privileged to have Kevin’s ongoing commitment to our programs, and most importantly our cause, creating media to help children the world over smile, blossom and grow.”
Clash first joined the cast of Sesame Street after attracting the attention of Muppet designer Kermit Love and Jim Henson. Since then, he served as Co-Executive Producer for Elmopalooza, CinderElmo, and Elmo's World; Co-­Producer for The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland; and directing numerous episodes of Sesame Street, as well as other Sesame Workshop productions. In addition, he directed and co-produced Sesame Workshop’s DVD series Sesame Beginnings, and most recently served as Director and Co-Executive Producer for Kids Favorite Country Songs Home Video. Through the years, Clash has won three Emmy Awards for Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series for his work as Elmo and Hoots the Owl, and six more in the Outstanding Pre-School Children's Series category for his work as Co-Executive Producer of Sesame Street. In September 2006, Clash released his autobiography, My Life As A Furry Red Monster, What Elmo Has Taught Me About Life, Love, and Laughing Out Loud.
Whatcha think?

SSLFan

Reaction score
:cool: I'm so happy for him!:smile: Yay Kevin!( I mean Mr. Clash):embarrassed: .

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh that's THRILLING! I can't think of anyone better for the job than Kevin! He's a great man and I couldn't be happier for him! :big_grin:

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Woowhoo, that's terrific! I honestly didn't know that he did so much, and I never even heard the term "muppet captain."
But this is a pretty big step! Maybe the next time they make an SS documentary he'll get mor airtime?

Congradulations Kevin!
:big_grin:

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Is what I say too. Maybe he could come over here to Germany and show them how to teach kids the alphabet and and how to count. It will be interesting to see how things move.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, he has addition and trained Muppeteers for oversees productions, and well as Caroll and Marty Robinson in training puppeteers as well. That's actually part of the job as Muppet captain which was actually a job bestowed upon him by Jim Henson himself personally. But Miss Coony (Creator OF SS) Whom he was worked with closely over the years has called him a miracle for Sesame Street, and has said that while he has not replaced Jim, he embodies that of what Jim Henson stood for and did.

So congratulations to Mr. Clash!:smile: