Sesamstrasse's 40th birthday

Oscarfan

Reaction score

They're goin' all out for it. There's apparently going to be a special, then a special episode of the regular show about the birthday, a "Mahna Mahna" music video, an exhibit, screenings, a classic DVD, "Super Grover 2.0" being added to the show...

Plaza Sesamo's 40th birthday is coming too and I don't think they're doing this much awesome stuff.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Wow that is very nice, thanks for sharing Oscarfan.
Question -I thought they retired Samson? Why is he still making appearances?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Wow that is very nice, thanks for sharing Oscarfan.
Question -I thought they retired Samson? Why is he still making appearances?
According to the Wiki (which got the info from someone who works with the show), the rights to the character expire in 2014 (which is something I don't quite understand), so he's being used as a sort-of "retro" hook for the promotions of the birthday. Plus, I'm sure that episodes featuring him are still in re-runs (new episodes air once a week and there's not really enough of those yet for a good syndicated re-run package), so he's not completely gone from the show.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Remember when international Sesame Street productions actually had their own Muppets instead of re-built versions of the American Muppets? I miss those days...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's a mixed bag. It does strip the identity away from the foreign co-production, but Muppet characters look better.

The Original Brazilian Sesame Street was frightening!

That's supposed to be their Oscar?! It's the most terrifying kid's show character I've ever seen. Lovecraft could make a children's show that wouldn't be that scary looking.

But then again, this is the choice of the co-producers. Instead of building their own characters, they go to Sesame Workshop and give descriptions of what they want. After a while, some of them said "do you have any characters you don't want?" and then after a while said "Heck with it! We want your characters period."

I love how Ernie and Bert are so beloved in Germany they have their own show and they were one of the first to break the ban on American characters in original international material. The Chinese Big Bird was a technicality that was the arm twisting. He was the suspiciously identical cousin. But you really lose the great original characters. I'm glad some co-productions still want their own characters.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, where the heck is this Mahna Mahna? I saw pictures of it on the wiki this morning, and I'm dying to see it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That said, where the heck is this Mahna Mahna? I saw pictures of it on the wiki this morning, and I'm dying to see it.
According to the official site, it's airing sometime in January.